android
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDLai View Post
Is the midrange/treble/soundstage pretty much the same between the two? I just got a pair of the SHE3580 and it's somewhat shocking to me how good $10 earphones can sound these days, though I have to agree the cable is bothersome.
I dont have the she3580 with me to directly compare until probably next week....assuming they survive spring break with a couple of 13 year olds. I don't have an ear for soundstage in IEMs so I won't even try to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I just noticed it for $5.99 in blue on Amazon with free shipping(for orders over $25).
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX8A-RIP...3609312&sr=8-2
fantastic deal..but up to 6.49 again right now.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

$5.99 for me with Amazon Prime!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
fantastic deal..but up to 6.49 again right now.
That's from Dependable Resource. The amazon one is still 5.99.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Probably in half an hour my link will take you somewhere else. Don't you just love the way amazon works?

BTW $10.28 from amazon.ca. <mutter mutter>

Steve

Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 AM

I finally got these and I can only explain the sound as 'thin' and 'tinny'. Almost no bass to speak of.

However, me and a random amazon reviewer seem to be the only people who thought this so maybe we got faulty phones...

Last edited by forensic fox; 05-01-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A lack of bass sounds like a poor seal. Did you try using other tips? Didd you let this burn in? Try letting it play for 24 hours or more at a slightly higher than normal volume.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 AM

It also depends on "where" you're coming from in terms of IEMs.

Anyway I want to pick one of these to use at gym since I already broke 2 of mid-fi IEMs there! I want something very cheap, designed for the gym and with a mid-centric or balanced sound. I was going for the m6 but I HATE v-shaped sounds!

In terms of quality while not expecting a premium sound is it at least better than the m6 and senn cx300?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:28 AM

I realize this is an old thread, but I am curious about the cable (cord) on these; I'm looking for a cheap pair of IEMs to sleep in (living underneath a busy Schiphol route, sleep can be a bit of a challenge) and I'm thinking the lack of stress relief might actually make them more comfortable for that.

But I worry about the cable; I have a pair of JVC marshmallows and while the memory foam makes my ears itch terribly, I adore the cable on those; nice and thick and supple and not prone to tangling.

On the other hand I have some SoundMagic IEMs that are more comfortable in my ears and the sound is much better, but the cable on those is horrible; thin and stiff, it tangles if you so much as point at it.

On the Riptidz, some of the reviews say the cable is 'better than average', others say that it is fragile and tangles easily.

Anyone with hands-on experience want to tell me about the cord?

Old 05-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABI

I'd save my money and get something else.The Riptidz were something of a sensation when they first came out because they were better than what you'd expect at the price but I wouldn't call them great. Not by a long shot.

The cables are the thin, tangly ones you get with stock earbuds. Nothing at all like the ones on the Marshmallows. There's no strain relief so they tend to fail where they exit the body of the headphone.

The included tips are about the cheapest I've ever encountered. Fortunately they're a standard size so I was able to use some Sony hybrids when I tried listening to them.

"Tried" is about the best I could do. They were hissy, sibilant with flabby bassy all at once. There was a noticeable channel imbalance. I thought I had got a bum set so I exchanged them a couple of times. The channel imbalance switched sides on one set and was less noticeable on the other but they all had it.

If you're in the market for some decently made IEMs with Marshmallow type cables I'd look at the Senn CX200. They cost more but they're worth it imo. My set are about 3 years old so I can't be absolutely certain that Senn hasn't changed the cables but I believe they should be the same.

The build quality is on the level that I expect a decent set of IEMs to have. Proper strain reliefs where needed and a right well made angle plug put them a goodly step up from the Riptidz. The included tips aren't the thinnest or most durable but they beat the heck out of the ones included with the Riptidz.

I much prefer my SoundMagic E10. I don't have any problems with the cables. However if I they were to fail I could live with the Senns until my new set of E10 were delivered.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Welcome to ABI

I'd save my money and get something else.The Riptidz were something of a sensation when they first came out because they were better than what you'd expect at the price but I wouldn't call them great. Not by a long shot.

The cables are the thin, tangly ones you get with stock earbuds. Nothing at all like the ones on the Marshmallows. There's no strain relief so they tend to fail where they exit the body of the headphone.

The included tips are about the cheapest I've ever encountered. Fortunately they're a standard size so I was able to use some Sony hybrids when I tried listening to them.

"Tried" is about the best I could do. They were hissy, sibilant with flabby bassy all at once. There was a noticeable channel imbalance. I thought I had got a bum set so I exchanged them a couple of times. The channel imbalance switched sides on one set and was less noticeable on the other but they all had it.

If you're in the market for some decently made IEMs with Marshmallow type cables I'd look at the Senn CX200. They cost more but they're worth it imo. My set are about 3 years old so I can't be absolutely certain that Senn hasn't changed the cables but I believe they should be the same.

The build quality is on the level that I expect a decent set of IEMs to have. Proper strain reliefs where needed and a right well made angle plug put them a goodly step up from the Riptidz. The included tips aren't the thinnest or most durable but they beat the heck out of the ones included with the Riptidz.

I much prefer my SoundMagic E10. I don't have any problems with the cables. However if I they were to fail I could live with the Senns until my new set of E10 were delivered.
+1 the cx200 are pretty good for what i paid for them ($20 ish a few years back). Granted they aren't as good as more expensive iems but they are cheap enough that you can throw them in your pocket and not feel too bad if they stop working after awhile

Old 05-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Agreed. Like the Marsh they're a very decent set of beater headphones. I'm seeing them in the $18-$22 range. The additional 10 bucks or so got me a step up in quality that I feel is worth the extra.

I'm huge on bargains but if laying out a few more bucks gets me a decent improvement in quality I lay out the cash. No sense hanging on to the money and gritting my teeth while listen to poor sound wishing I hadn't been so cheap.

The best way I know to have acceptable sound quality is decent headphones. They don't have to break the bank but they do need to be able to deliver.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:02 PM

Thank you all!

I've actually been coming to these boards for a couple of years now (ever since I went looking for a new, cheap, simple music player - ended up with the Clip+, which I am still very happy with!) but usually my questions can be answered by lurking.

Unfortunately, I'm in the Netherlands and the cheapest I've been able to find the cx 200 is around 25 Euro (a little over $30 at least); buying from abroad comes down to the same thing due to shipping costs etc.
But I'm keeping my eyes open for them, because they are still around and it looks like they're getting discounted now.

Meanwhile, I have my eye on a slightly more expensive set; funny how a budget can become flexible, isn't it....

I'm thinking of getting the AKG K323 XS; that review does read a bit like an infomercial, but they look tiny and from what I've seen on youtube etc the cord is rubbery too.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booksniffer View Post
Thank you all!

I've actually been coming to these boards for a couple of years now (ever since I went looking for a new, cheap, simple music player - ended up with the Clip+, which I am still very happy with!) but usually my questions can be answered by lurking.

Unfortunately, I'm in the Netherlands and the cheapest I've been able to find the cx 200 is around 25 Euro (a little over $30 at least); buying from abroad comes down to the same thing due to shipping costs etc.
But I'm keeping my eyes open for them, because they are still around and it looks like they're getting discounted now.

Meanwhile, I have my eye on a slightly more expensive set; funny how a budget can become flexible, isn't it....

I'm thinking of getting the AKG K323 XS; that review does read a bit like an infomercial, but they look tiny and from what I've seen on youtube etc the cord is rubbery too.
You might want to just save up a bit and buy one pair that is more expensive rather than a bunch of cheaper ones. I made that mistake for the longest time and now even the iems I spent $50 on make me want to go out and spend $100 on a pair. I have all my old cheaper ones still but, it's kinda painful to go backwards. By the way I never pay msrp if you wait long enough you'll find something. For example I paid $40 for these that are now selling for $67 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB60EX...ywords=mdr60ex

Old 05-25-2014, 04:18 AM

Thank you mamamia!

Don't forget though, that I will be using these for sleeping; that is to say, listen to some brown/pink noise or some rain sounds while I fall asleep (and possibly keep them in while I sleep, because they would also function as earplugs).
I'm already a bit uncomfortable with headphones that cost 20 Euro or more, since I am a little worried I will break them while sleeping.

Also, I will be listening mostly to pink / brown noise, the sound of rain and maybe the occasional audiobook, so I am not looking for excellent sound - sturdyness and comfort are much more important.

Having said that, I did order the (40 Euro) AKG k323 XS; they should be here on Tuesday, I'll let you all know what I think of them.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Thank you mamamia!

Don't forget though, that I will be using these for sleeping; that is to say, listen to some brown/pink noise or some rain sounds while I fall asleep (and possibly keep them in while I sleep, because they would also function as earplugs).
I'm already a bit uncomfortable with headphones that cost 20 Euro or more, since I am a little worried I will break them while sleeping.

Also, I will be listening mostly to pink / brown noise, the sound of rain and maybe the occasional audiobook, so I am not looking for excellent sound - sturdyness and comfort are much more important.

Having said that, I did order the (40 Euro) AKG k323 XS; they should be here on Tuesday, I'll let you all know what I think of them.
If using them for bed wouldn't it be better to get a pair of pc speakers or something? Sure you can sleep with headphones in but, it's never been optimal for me unless I'm falling asleep in a recliner.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I realize this is an old thread, but I am curious about the cable (cord) on these; I'm looking for a cheap pair of IEMs to sleep in (living underneath a busy Schiphol route, sleep can be a bit of a challenge) and I'm thinking the lack of stress relief might actually make them more comfortable for that.

But I worry about the cable; I have a pair of JVC marshmallows and while the memory foam makes my ears itch terribly, I adore the cable on those; nice and thick and supple and not prone to tangling.
Quite some time ago there were threads about replacing the eartips on the Marshmallows. Does anybody know if the tips are easily replacable on the modern version?

If so, this might be a reasonable approach. I believe that my old Marshmallows (that I haven't used in several years) were much more comfortable after changing the tips.

Steve

Old 05-25-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
If using them for bed wouldn't it be better to get a pair of pc speakers or something? Sure you can sleep with headphones in but, it's never been optimal for me unless I'm falling asleep in a recliner.
That's pretty much the setup I have now.
Unfortunately, there are nights when the planes come over so low you could tickle their bellies; if you were having a conversation, you'd have to shout in order to make yourself heard while the plane passes.

Having earplugs (or IEMs) in helps buffer at least some (though never all) of that sound.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Quite some time ago there were threads about replacing the eartips on the Marshmallows. Does anybody know if the tips are easily replacable on the modern version?

If so, this might be a reasonable approach. I believe that my old Marshmallows (that I haven't used in several years) were much more comfortable after changing the tips.

Steve
Ah, well, I have already changed the tips on my Marshmallows years ago!

They are very comfortable to wear when out and about now, but unfortunately they stick out of my ears too much for me to be able to sleep with them - I think I have rather shallow ears....

Old 05-26-2014, 04:01 PM

I don't want to derail the thread but, I don't want to start a new one either. Are the soundmagic e10s as good as they sound? Or is it another case of people's first step up from stock earbuds? I'm thinking of picking up a pair here is the song I always test new headphones with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2IyX5LXGyg

Old 10-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Soundmagic E10 has gotten great reviews, although the much less expensive Soundmagic ES18 sounds great as well. Some claim they have the same drivers. The E10 has metal enclosures, while those on the ES18 are plastic. I love my ES18, and even bought a few spare ones. It is now available in black with a black cord, which imo looks much better than with the green or orange cord. At just $12 the ES18 is a great bargain. Imo it gives the best sound I have heard from a headphone or earphone priced under $20.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598627/revi...-es18-measured

Tags
riptidz