android
Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Rumors now thru Bing and Google searchs are talking about a Galaxy Player 2(GI2), so will wait and see what's up with that.

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/...-late-june.htm

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I also wouldn't mind a 8 inch tablet I don't really care too much about an extra inch but still a 10 inch tablet in my opinion is too big to justify carrying around instead of my laptop
Samsung just released and 8" Note tablet which is selling at Staples, Best Buy, and elsewhere.

Staples Link: http://www.staples.com/Samsung-Galax...y_%2Bnote_%2B8

Old 05-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Rumors now thru Bing and Google searchs are talking about a Galaxy Player 2(GI2), so will wait and see what's up with that.

I for one would LOVE to see a galaxy player 2! lets hope these rumors are true.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:11 PM

What ever happened to the galaxy player 5.8? And that galaxy note 8 inch is way over the price I would be willing to pay for a tablet plus it has data plan that is probably too expensive. Those specs of the note 8 put into a wifi only model for a cheaper price would definitely be a hit with me.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:49 PM

The 5.8 was only released in korea i believe. There are wesites you can buy one off of. They are like $400 though.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=72087
3 weeks ago. I sometimes wonder why I bring news here if nobody reads it.

And "Galaxy Player 2" doesn't make any sense. The number always stands for the screen size and the 1st Galaxy Player is not the GI1 but the YP-G50 in 2010.
From the article you linked:
Quote:
The original Galaxy Player unveiled at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in 2012
That's totally bullshit. The Original Galaxy Player WTF?!

Regarding the 5.8 brosko is right. No international release was planned. It's only available in Korea. You can buy it on exportprive.com for example.

Last edited by lebellium; 05-04-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:43 PM

I just realized something, You know the galaxy players are dying off because they are just now showing up in canada. you can now get a galaxy player 3.6 refurb at tigerdirect canada for about 140$ I think. After all canada is a dumping ground for USAs obsolete electronics.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:24 PM

lebellium, I want you to know I have been following your postings. I don't know how you do it but you always provide "insiders" info no one seems to have! I do thank you for this.

As you have predicted, Samsung did not release Galaxy Player in WMC2013 and I also thought Samsung has killed Galaxy Player line. So I went out and purchased unused YP-GP1E from the ebay.

I want to let everyone know Galaxy Player 5.8 is exactly what I have been looking for. Something bigger than 4 inch yet smaller than 7. This is perfect as it's big enough for me to watch movies yet it fits in my pocket. Galaxy Player 5.8 is worth every penny. Only remorse is I wished I've gotten it sooner.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifew552 View Post
lebellium, I want you to know I have been following your postings. I don't know how you do it but you always provide "insiders" info no one seems to have! I do thank you for this.
Ah cool, at least one guy reading me
I had several contacts at Samsung France and Korea for several years, so yes I was an insider. Over the past 2 years Samsung killed the MP3 player division so almost all my contacts have changed their job now. That's why it's getting hard to me to get information and report bugs now. For info about Galaxy Players I sometimes ask a Korean blogger who still has a contact working in the Mobile Division.

Quote:
So I went out and purchased unused YP-GP1E from the ebay. I want to let everyone know Galaxy Player 5.8 is exactly what I have been looking for. Something bigger than 4 inch yet smaller than 7. This is perfect as it's big enough for me to watch movies yet it fits in my pocket. Galaxy Player 5.8 is worth every penny. Only remorse is I wished I've gotten it sooner.
Oh great! Then you can tell people outside Korea you have a very rare device
I never tried it (not even sure if Samsung France got a sample of it, I should ask them^^) but on the paper I find it very expensive considering the screen resolution: 540x960 for 5,8" = 190 dpi, that's really bad compared to current smartphones standards.
That being said, the new smartphone Galaxy Mega 5.8 also has this qHD screen...

Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifew552 View Post

I try to check the date for last post in case I've missed anything, but I did miss your 4/10 post about the Players, also because it stated the Gh1 was DEAD, and didn't expect to see anything new in that thread.

Not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but really didn't notice anyone posting about the rumors on the new player.

Good to see you now made a sticky for it.

Comment: Interesting to see the GH1 sticky is no longer there!

Last edited by Tabatha; 05-05-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Comment

Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
And that galaxy note 8 inch is way over the price I would be willing to pay for a tablet plus it has data plan that is probably too expensive. Those specs of the note 8 put into a wifi only model for a cheaper price would definitely be a hit with me.
The Staples ad is for the WI-FI version, no data plan, and yes it is way overpriced. But, if I remember correctly, the Tab 7 Plus WIFI only entered the market with a hefty price also.

I only buy refurbs as that is all I can afford, and have never had a problem with them as the kinks have apparently been corrected, and they have appeared to be NEW. bigoutletelectronics on ebay has several Galaxy factory refurbs listed now, and the Tab 7+ is only $149.99 and is supposed to get JB4.2.2 before EOL in September. Also, all the players are available there from $130 -$140. In my mind, the Tab 7 Plus is still the best of the 7" Tablets being offered at this time.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Well all my devices I currently own (galaxy 550 phone, galaxy player 4.0, galaxy tab 2 7.0) are all in good working order so unless that changes I am content with the devices I currently own and by the time I have any problems with any of these there should be a worthy replacement on the market for a reasonable price

Old 05-05-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Well all my devices I currently own (galaxy 550 phone, galaxy player 4.0, galaxy tab 2 7.0) are all in good working order so unless that changes I am content with the devices I currently own and by the time I have any problems with any of these there should be a worthy replacement on the market for a reasonable price

agreed! my galaxy player (135) cost more than my smartphone (65), both run android 2.2 and both are working fine. I can afford to buy an S4 outright, but can't justify it, plus I can't see it playing video for 9 1/2 hours on a single charge!

marcel

Old 05-05-2013, 03:08 PM

I don't think my sgp or tab can play video for 9 1/2 hours as is, maybe 5 or 6 but I don't think 9. I don't know for certain though I have never tried to watch 9 hours of video on any of them. I haven't had the tab long enough (only since november) So I haven't had an opportunity to test it on a long trip yet for battery. At the end of may though I am going home which is 14 hours away drive I will test the tabs battery fully then. So far It has never died because I always plugged it in at the end of every day

Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 AM

I've used my sgp 5.0 on a plane to India, Africa and Canada. It plays 9 1/2 hours of standard def video or 7 hours of 720p HD video using headphones. I also tested it running video while at work and it hits 9 1/2 hours before the 15% battery warning comes on, and it will still play for another 45 mins till it dies! I've repeated the test and it is consistent.

I've also found out it can't play 1080p video (it stutters), but it can stream it to a tv using allshare with no problem.

This is an amazing device for the price, and as long as it keeps running, I'll be happy!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 AM

I heard the battery in the 5.0 is bigger than the 4.0 is this correct? For me I think I got about 5 hours on the 4.0 on my last trip. but I had stupidly left on features I wasn't going to use such as wifi and gps so it is probably better than that

Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Samsung Moderator

Indeed, YP-G1 (GP 4.0) only has a 1200mAh battery while YP-G70 (GP 5.0) has a 2500mAh battery and YP-GS1 (GP 3.6) and YP-GI1 (GP 4.2) have a 1500mAh battery.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 AM

But if you have a stack of charged batteries for the SGP 4.0, battery life isn't much of an issue. Extra batteries for it are really cheap now.

I have three extra batteries for camping trips.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I don't think my sgp or tab can play video for 9 1/2 hours as is, maybe 5 or 6 but I don't think 9. I don't know for certain though I have never tried to watch 9 hours of video on any of them. I haven't had the tab long enough (only since november) So I haven't had an opportunity to test it on a long trip yet for battery. At the end of may though I am going home which is 14 hours away drive I will test the tabs battery fully then. So far It has never died because I always plugged it in at the end of every day
I haven't tested my Tab 2 7" (4,000 MaH battery) but I KNOW my Razr Maxx (3300MaH battery) can do 10.5 hours of video streaming netflix over wifi and 6 hours of video streaming netflix over 3G so depending on just how much more battery is required by the Tab 2's screen over the Razr Maxx's will determine the kind of life it will go for. Keep in mind these where streaming so as you can see by the differences in time just going between wifi and 3G the streaming part has to account for a decent chunk of power, also remember the resolution of the video will have an effect on the power consumption, as the video card has to work harder for higher res videos.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
I haven't tested my Tab 2 7" (4,000 MaH battery) but I KNOW my Razr Maxx (3300MaH battery) can do 10.5 hours of video streaming netflix over wifi and 6 hours of video streaming netflix over 3G so depending on just how much more battery is required by the Tab 2's screen over the Razr Maxx's will determine the kind of life it will go for. Keep in mind these where streaming so as you can see by the differences in time just going between wifi and 3G the streaming part has to account for a decent chunk of power, also remember the resolution of the video will have an effect on the power consumption, as the video card has to work harder for higher res videos.
WOW!
You have just confirmed to me, that most manufacturers put crap batteries into their phones! (anything under 2000mah is a waste of time) 10.5 hours of streaming video is amazing for a phone! my stats were reading from the memory card with everything turned off. Again, I lose 2 1/2 hours when watching HD content due to resolution and rendering.

It amazes me how everyone wants to compete with apple and puts the best tech they can in a device and make it as small as possible, then skimp on the power source to make it truly useable??? Rather than shave a few mm off a device, add a few mm and give us BIGGER batteries, please!

marcel

Tags
discontinued, galaxy player, replacement