android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 AM

Default Upgrade from Klipsch s3, ~$100 budget, earbuds

Hello everyone! I hope you all are well. I currently own A set of Klipsch In ear buds, and I love the sound...but they are not all that comfortable. I just got back from Walmart, I bought the Monster N-Energy buds and found them a bit too strident with the treble and lacking in bass. So, I need some more advice on what buds are comfy and sound great.

Last edited by tisumner; 05-25-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-25-2013, 09:58 AM

You want an earphone with a sports clip or you just want an earphone which isn't an IEM?

I think all things can be a bit like wearing a watch. If you've never worn one before, it can be really distracting / feel heavy. If you are very sensitive to these sensations, it can take longer for it to go away (ie you think about it too much). Maybe the idea of something going in your ear is just a little too much, that's fine.

Any major brand like Sennheiser or AKG or etc will have earphones and will have good sound. How "COMFY" it is will depend on ear size, which is something you'd have to check for yourself with friends who own similar sized earphones. It's always gonna be hard plastic covered by a little foam, so I don't see too much variation otherwise. Either that style of earphone is comfortable to you, or it's not !

Good luck My advice is to try on your friend's earphones and then buy one that looks a similar size to the one that fits best.

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/664612...hone_MX760.jpg I've found this shape pretty ergonomic for my ears.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Yeah,I want earbuds but not in the canal

Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Traditional earbuds, or those with a hook that don't go in the ear canal are very useful in some circumstances, such as when you need to hear your surroundings. They provide much less bass than most in the ear canal earphones though. The JVC HA-EB75 is a great value at only around $8. For a bit more, the Panasonic RP-HS33 imo sounds a bit better than the JVC HAEB75. The HS33 has an ear loop that is on the large size though, so it might not fit you well if you have small ears.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 PM

Well, then, what would be a step up in quality, that are comfy and preferably stylish?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 PM

From the earbuds that I have, the Sennheiser MX 470 is the best. The bass is not quite as anemic as with the other earbuds. Sennheiser also has the model MX 471 that is meant for smaller ears (women). I have not heard it but it could be even better.

(The other earbuds (not recommend): AKG K-315, Beyerdynamic DTX 11 iE, Sennheiser MX 271 and some stock earbuds that came with Sansa and Archos players.)

Old 05-25-2013, 04:28 PM

Anyone else have any ideas? I really like how the s3s sound but the feeling of them in my canal upsets me lol.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:54 AM

Doesn't Yukin make some decent sounding earbuds?

Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
Doesn't Yukin make some decent sounding earbuds?
Yuin does, yes. The OK3 and PK3 are their sub-$100 models. I wouldn't consider them stylish, and I've read about the PK3 having durability issues, however.

EDIT: If you're not huge on bass, the Creative Aurvana Air might be worth looking into.

Last edited by epithetless; 05-27-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:28 PM

Sunrise AS Charm 3
Sunrise SW Dragon II
Sennheiser MX 985

Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How can he get a Sennheiser MX985 for under $100? I think it is more like $200. The Sennheiser MX580 is quite good, and he could probably get that for under $50.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
How can he get a Sennheiser MX985 for under $100? I think it is more like $200. The Sennheiser MX580 is quite good, and he could probably get that for under $50.
Sorry, I forgot to convert from euros to dollars in my mind. The MX 985 is 110 here. That would be around $140. Sennheiser also has the MX 880 that is 50 here.

Do you know if the MX 580 is sound quality wise any different from the MX 470? They look quite similar but the MX 470 is cheaper and don't have an volume controller.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 PM

I have the UE600. They measures really well but I have still to fully get accustomed to their sound. The highs are a bit fatiguing.

It seems that you have decided that you will continue with inserting things into your ear canals. Comply foam tips are probably the most comfortable tips for IEMs. The UE600 comes with two pairs of those.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep mode zZ View Post
It seems that you have decided that you will continue with inserting things into your ear canals.
Yeah, odd that. Does this mean you're starting the thread from scratch, tisumner?

Old 05-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Yeah, odd that. Does this mean you're starting the thread from scratch, tisumner?
To an extent. I don't mind a bit of a bud but I don't want the kind klipsche has that go so far in. If that makes any sense.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep mode zZ View Post
Sorry, I forgot to convert from euros to dollars in my mind. The MX 985 is 110 here. That would be around $140. Sennheiser also has the MX 880 that is 50 here.

Do you know if the MX 580 is sound quality wise any different from the MX 470? They look quite similar but the MX 470 is cheaper and don't have an volume controller.
In the US the Sennheiser MX880 is very hard to find, and the MX985 is very expensive(around $200). The MX580 is also hard to find now as it is discontinued here. It was great around 2 or 3 years ago when the MX580 was available for under $25. These earbuds without earhooks can fall out easily when very active. None of the traditional earbuds have that much bass, however if you boost the bass with the equalizer on your player it might be sufficient.