android
Old 04-13-2013, 01:15 AM

Default Sansa Clip+ weirdness

Hey everyone, this is kind of a weird 'issue'. I play my guitar along to songs a lot using my desktop as the source. Don't have any fancy recording equipment, line ins or whatnots, so I simply play by ear.

Yesterday I connected my Clip+ to my speakers to play along to, and noticed the music was slightly, well, off. I then used my phone (Xperia Mini), a Nexus 7 tablet and a laptop as sources and they all sound fine.

I had to tune my guitar to odd sounding tunings to match the sound from my SC+. I tried listening to music separately from each off the sources, and honestly I couldn't spot any difference. But when I play along, its very obvious. Its 'game' breaking and I can definitely tell there is some difference in the pitch.

I'm using OF btw, because Rockbox kept crashing on me and also soft bricked the SC+ with the last update. Unfortunately, the OF does not seem to have any options to adjust pitch. Also I haven't done any research on this.

Any ideas on what to do about this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You've got no choice then but to give Rockbox another go. It seems you are one of the few that can hear the fact that the Clip+ pitch is slightly off......Rockbox corrects this. The alternative would be to find someone with a Clip Zip and trade them your Clip+ for it....Sansa fixed the pitch in the Clip Zip(granted, I still use Rockbox on the Zip anyways...lol).

Old 04-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Administrator

A little research using the terms "sansa pitch bug" will get you dozens more hits on this problem. You may even come across this that shows even Rockbox doesn't correct the playback speed 100%. It's better than the OF but still not pitch perfect.

The other solution that sandisk said would work is to convert the files again and resample them to 48 kHz during the conversion. I've never seen any test results to verify that works but I've read a couple reports by musicians that they had good results after doing that. YMMV.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM

@skip252
Thanks for the input. I did some minor research now and I see this is quite a known problem. However your suggestion is quite a tedious task, especially since I've got a couple of memory cards full of music.

@Marvin Honestly mate, like I said, I wasn't able to spot much of a difference when I tried each of the sources one-by-one after I found out this issue. I can't really tell them apart and point out which one is the flawed source, if at all any one of them is. Try playing an instrument along to the SC+, and I'm pretty sure anyone can spot it.

I've heard positive feedback from people who've gone the RB route, so that seems to be the easy fix, more or less. Or I could stop playing against it :P

Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Shoulda added a smiley there

I was just poking a little fun at the silliness that they would even suggest that as a solution. Things got pretty hot for sandisk at that time. Once they finally admitted the problem existed they said some odd things. Converting your files with upsampling to fix the inaccuracy was one of them.

One of the things that came up at that time as a result of testing was that just about everything else on the market then didn't have a similar problem. I'm not sure if that still holds true but if it does that's something you may want to look into for your play along sessions.

I can't remember you posting about any of your Rockbox related problems here. Rockbox on a Clip+ runs very nicely for me as long as I avoid certain themes. That doesn't hold true for everyone. It seems to be certain PCs that can't handle USB with Rockbox. Mine just happens to one of them.

If you decide to give Rockbox another shot and run into more problem I'd post the details here or at the Rockbox forums. Someone may be able to spot something to help straighten it out for you.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 AM

I hadn't posted a new thread, I had instead hijacked someone else's, which was dealing with the same issue Can't find it though.

As for playing along to, I have the Nexus 7 and the ZVM to go with. I will give Rockbox another shot tonight though. Hope it doesn't make me cry this time :P Honestly I find Rockbox overwhelming with all those options, so I generally prefer the simplicity of the OF. Oh, and the 'Hold' mode. One of the major reasons why I didn't go back to RB, what an unintuitive design choice that is.

PS: You never know what the tone of a post is, online. Right?

Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM

I've been through this, too. The OF pitch error is definitely enough to force you to retune your instrument if you want to play along with music. Not a big problem with some wind instruments where you tune all the notes with one change, a big problem with string instruments.

The Rockbox pitch error is so small that you may not have to retune your guitar. If it's noticeable, you can change the pitch in Rockbox on the fly. If you use Rockbox regularly it becomes very easy and intuitive to use, I never use the OF any more. You might try that.