android
Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Samsung Moderator

I guess I finally understood what you mean, after reading your post 10x and comparing my U6 and U7 for 15 minutes. That's incredible how unclear and confusing your posts are... you mix up tags and folders, that just made me crazy.

I asked you in my previous post to tell me what you are doing exactly on the player, step by step, to play a track.

Was it that difficult to just tell me:
"I go to the Music menu, then to Artists, then I select an artist, let's say AC/DC, then I select All songs"
or
"I go to the Music menu, then to Artists, then to All albums then to All songs"
or
"I go to the Music menu, then to Albums, then to All songs" ?

That would have saved me much time...

Indeed, here there is a difference: the U6 displays all albums one after the other and with the right track order for each album while the U7 displays all songs in alphabetical order.

But that has nothing to do with folders, "This current one ignores folders and treats all the files as if they were in the same folder" doesn't make any sense. You mix up tags and folders.
When you go to Music then to Artists (or Albums or Songs), the player ONLY uses id3tags. The folder where the file is stored on the player doesn't matter. You could put all your files directly at the root of the Music directory on the U7, without using any subfolder for each artist and album, that wouldn't change anything if you use the tags navigation: when you go to Music>Artists>Albums, all tracks would be sorted by artist and albums, depending on the id3tags.

Now that this huge confusion is clear, indeed you are right about that difference and to be honest, I never noticed that before.
I just checked on YP-U5 (2009), F3 (2011), Q3 (2010), R2 (2011) and Z3 (2011)
-on U5 it is like on U6
-on F3 it is like on U7
-on Q3 I don't understand how songs are sorted, that's neither track order nor alphabetical order...
-on R2 it is like on U6
-on Z3 it is like on U6

I can't tell you if it is a bug or intended behavior, I would need to ask Samsung. If it is considered as a bug they may fix it in a next firmware but if that's considered as intended (often the R&D is of bad faith because they are quite lazy to fix bugs...), they won't change it.
Given the fact that it's getting very hard for me to get bugs fixed since a few months (The R&D takes ages to reply or they don't reply at all -_-), even if it is a bug I wouldn't expect it to be fixed before a few months at least, or maybe never.
I'll try my best as usual but if this point is very important to you, I would buy a U6 again.

And no, there is no setting to change that unfortunately.

Last edited by lebellium; 03-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-26-2013, 03:57 AM

Thanks for your help.

I think I'll just have to buy a U6. The U7 is a pointless purchase if you want to listen to something in the original order without constantly having to manually select an album. As I said before that is a step backwards, unless you are essentially listening at random. Why remove functionality?

I wasn't mixing up tags and folders. I told you I didn't use tags, as I realised they look at all the tracks on the player at once. When I referred to a folder, I was talking about the folder that contained the tracks for a given album and was named for the title of the album.

All of the options on this player assume that you are looking at all the contents of the player at once. If I wanted random tracks I would choose shuffle.

Maybe I'm old fashioned (I started on vinyl), but to me a natural way to listen would be to load albums and tracks and then hit play. The player then starts at the beginning and works through each album in order until the end.

This is the first player I've had that did not do this.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:56 AM
Samsung Moderator

Sure, I agree that would be better if sorted by track order.
I'm not sure though that they deliberately removed this functionality. Development teams change over times and may differ from one player to another, which explains for example that the YP-R2 and YP-F3 behave differently about that topic while they have been released together at the same time.
For the U7 I guess they just took the F3 as basis (because it is more recent than U6) and just did copy & paste of code. The question is rather, why did the F3 introduce a different tracks sorting? I don't know...

Unfortunately I sent a very long email to Samsung yesterday morning before your 1st post. If I knew I would have waited to include your issue in the email but now it's too late and I'll have to wait for their reply before sending another email, which can take much time.
In this email I reported the bug in SPL playlist support (created with Samsung Kies). Indeed, when selecting a SPL playlist on the U7, it only recognizes files at the root of the Music directory. If some tracks of the SPL playlist are stored in subfolders (for example: Music/Artist name/album name/track.mp3), the U7 won't see them. SPL playlists is a potential tricky solution to your issue but won't work as long as there is this strange bug...

For me on the U6 it is also somehow pointless because albums are not sorted by year. If I want to listen to several albums of the same artist one after the other, I want to hear them in the chronological order.

I name my folders "year - name of the album" so when using folders navigation I can get my albums sorted by release year. But then comes the other problem: Samsung players don't automatically skip to the next folder....

If the USB key format is not too important for you, you may want to consider purchasing a Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip instead. Those are awesome cheap players and when they are rockboxed (http://www.rockbox.org/) you get many advanced settings, including "auto-change directory". That's in case you use the folders navigation. The database (tags navigation) in Rockbox works more or less like the U7 ("all tracks" means alphabetical order), except that there is an awesome On-The-Go playlists system which allows you to easily add several albums to the current playlist and then it would be sorted by track order.

Last edited by lebellium; 03-26-2013 at 06:01 AM.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 AM

Hi guys.

i have finally bought this mp3-player. and thanks to you i was able to activate the radio. i really appreciate your work. but somehow I am a little bit disappointed. this player doesnīt show my album-cover while my old yp-u5 can.

how can it be? Did I miss something? Is there a special trick to make the yp-u7 display the covers? Please donīt tell me that the yp-u7 expect me to edit all my mp3-covers that were legally bought. :-(

thank in advance =)

Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 AM
Samsung Moderator

It should support the album art embedded in tags like the YP-U5. In my review it worked for all formats except Ogg.

Can you please send me a music file with an album art working on the U5 but not on U7? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
It should support the album art embedded in tags like the YP-U5. In my review it worked for all formats except Ogg.

Can you please send me a music file with an album art working on the U5 but not on U7? Thanks.
Thank you. I have tested many files of my mp3-collection. :-( Itīs really strange. I have also downloaded the new firmware and I still canīt make the Cover to work. I will send you one of the files. see you and thank you. :-)

PS. My yp-u5 never had a problem with the covers.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 AM
Samsung Moderator

I just tried your sample files on my U5 and U7 and the album art doesn't display on both players so it's not just the U7

Then I analyzed your tracks with mp3tag: the reason is because your album arts are in PNG format. Almost no mp3 player will support PNG album arts, you should stick to the usual JPG format.

That's definitely not an issue with the U7

Old 04-16-2013, 08:07 AM

Hi

Has anyone already bought or found a silicon or plastic (or other) case for YP-U7?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Samsung Moderator

Nope. I don't think it exists any case for that player. It's not really interesting for accessories manufacturers to design and produce a case for a player that won't sell much.
And given how is marketed the U7 by Samsung, even in Korea, I don't think they will produce any official case for that one.

That being said, I'm not sure a case is really necessary for the U7

Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 PM

I keep mine in an otherwise empty pocket. That's as good as any case. I can't understand people who throw their keys and coins in with their digital devices and wonder why they get scratched.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 AM

Hi to all,
so... I lost my beloved black 4GB U5 yesterday. That's really sad, it was a gift from my gf, I travelled in 5 or 6 different countries with it, graduated from University, started working all with it in my pockets. And now it's gone, nowhere to be found.
I've read this thread trying to find out more about the U7. So if I've got it right:

- battery life is even better than the one on U5;
- the Music Browser (browsing folders, not using tags) it's the same as on the U5;
- sound quality (without using EQ, which I never really used) is similar to U5;
- ...are the other settings like bass enhance and stereo enhance present as on the U5?
- menu navigation and buttons functions are the same on the U5;
- no recorder (?)
- radio can be available thru the config.dat posted here.

I had only two type of issues with my U5: it happened sometimes that the player got stuck, not responding to any input other than the hard reset. One other thing is the fact that accessing the player as a USB stick and deleting folders I previously created in the Music folder, windows would not let me delete the folder: it would delete all the files but not the (now) empty folder. This happened under Win7 (it may as well be my computer) but not on MacOsX.

I think I'll buy a 4GB U7, even in italy are pretty cheap

Matt

Old 04-23-2013, 05:13 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattconfusion View Post
Hi to all,
so... I lost my beloved black 4GB U5 yesterday. That's really sad, it was a gift from my gf, I travelled in 5 or 6 different countries with it, graduated from University, started working all with it in my pockets. And now it's gone, nowhere to be found.
Arf sorry for you

Quote:
battery life is even better than the one on U5
Much better

Quote:
the Music Browser (browsing folders, not using tags) it's the same as on the U5
Yes

Quote:
sound quality (without using EQ, which I never really used) is similar to U5
Yes

Quote:
are the other settings like bass enhance and stereo enhance present as on the U5?
It's SoundAlive like on U6 vs DNSe3.0 Core on U5. See my comparative table from my YP-U6 review:
http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/04/s...-yp-u6-review/

Quote:
menu navigation and buttons functions are the same on the U5
Not exactly. The U7 has a context menu vs user button on U5, it's much better, now you don't have to go to main menu and general settings for every setting change.

Quote:
no recorder (?)
No FM recorder and no voice recorder

Quote:
radio can be available thru the config.dat posted here
Yes but no RDS.

Don't forget to look at my U7 review even though it's in French: http://www.generationmp3.com/index.p...samsung-yp-u7/

Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 AM

thanks!
I'll read the review. The U7 seems def a very nice little player.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:42 AM

Default u5, u6, u7

i've dropped my u5 on the floor yesterday and now the volume button is no longer working properly =(. I'm debating between u6 or u7 and I hope you can give me some advice. Thanks!

u6:direct usb plug, aluminum design
u7:newer model, thinner, lighter, (but I don't like the plastic cap design)

I'm little worried about getting the KR version. Will it not able to display when I'm not listening to English songs? What language can the menu be? Only ENG or KOR? Can it be fixed by firmware/software?
when I look at ebay, some of them says yepp instead of samsung. Does it make any difference? My first choice would be finding a 4g U6 (coz of the language problem). Most of the places only have 2g now. Will you know where can I order 4gb online coz it will never come to North America sadly.
I really like your family picture. I didn't realize that I had a few of them too. I don't think I still have them. If not I would have taken a picture too. I had one that came in a battery size tube (before the U family). I've had the U1, U2, U5, and now U6 or U7!

Thanks so much!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_ View Post
i've dropped my u5 on the floor yesterday and now the volume button is no longer working properly =(.
Maybe you can disassemble it and see if you can repair it. Have a look at the service manual here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=71554

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_ View Post
u6:direct usb plug, aluminum design
u7:newer model, thinner, lighter, (but I don't like the plastic cap design)
U7 is also made of aluminum.
And there are more differences than that between the 2 devices if you read this whole thread and my review (in French)

Quote:
I'm little worried about getting the KR version. Will it not able to display when I'm not listening to English songs? What language can the menu be? Only ENG or KOR? Can it be fixed by firmware/software?
when I look at ebay, some of them says yepp instead of samsung. Does it make any difference? My first choice would be finding a 4g U6 (coz of the language problem). Most of the places only have 2g now. Will you know where can I order 4gb online coz it will never come to North America sadly.
I'm a bit surprised to read that since you owned a U5, you should know how it works. U6 and U7 work exactly like U5, that means there is absolutely no language issue. You can buy your U6 or U7 wherever you want, Korea, Europe, America, the software/firmware is the same. Only the default region code may be different but it's easy to change it with the config.dat trick like on U5.
And whatever the region code, the menu can be in more than 20 languages, the same for id3tags.
The only difference is the design. In Korea it is written "YEPP" on the U6 while it's written "SAMSUNG" in any other country. On the U7 it is even written "SAMSUNG" in Korea since Samsung killed the YEPP brand some time ago. See here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=62810

Quote:
I really like your family picture. I didn't realize that I had a few of them too. I don't think I still have them. If not I would have taken a picture too. I had one that came in a battery size tube (before the U family). I've had the U1, U2, U5, and now U6 or U7!
Thanks so much!
Maybe the YP-55? I also have it. You can see it on this pic:

It's written "YEPP" on it since at the time all Samsung MP3 players worldwide were branded YEPP^^

Last edited by lebellium; 05-22-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 PM

I'm not too computer savvy. I wish I can understand the manual and fix it myself. That's why I love the U series where you can just plug, drag, and go. I think I had the 4th row 5th from the right. All of my mp3 are samsung. I had both (the battery tube one and the cube one too) when they were just 256mb =P. You are really a Samsung Keener. You should work for them!!
I remember I had the language problem when my U1 died and I bought a U2 from ebay. It wasn't able to display the names of my Asian songs. So I thought there might be some issues with the regions. Thank you very much for your help. Based on what's on ebay, U6 seems to be a bit more expensive than U7.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
. They no longer care about MP3 players.
And a the same time I think that also market no longer care about Samsung.
If their marketing managers are crazy and they think that all the people in the world should think as a Korean I think they can stay on their island.

In Italy supply chains like Mediaworld and Saturn ( Mediamarkt ) were usually Samsung fan. Now it's impossible to find a Samsung Mp3 player.
Ok, you'll say, they prefer to invest on mobile phones, but also here they shoe their geniality. They've removed the radio from the last top smartphone S4 ( "FM Radio is dead and now the radio is in streaming". ) As a result they sell more S3 than S4 and who wants to update his S2 or S3 looks to Sony, HTC or Motorola.

It's really a pity because Samsung was producing really nice tiny players. Personally I think that a player should be small and should be used only to listen music and radio. So there's no need of hi-res color displays to see also movies and pictures. About anybody now has a phone in his pocket with colour display to see pictures.
So they were market leaders with U and Z series and they're are throwing this market position in the thrash ?

If I find a end of stock U5 or U6 I'll buy it else when my U5 battery will definitively die... Bye Bye Samsung

Last edited by Ricky65; 08-18-2013 at 02:21 AM.

Tags
samsung, u7, yp-u7