android
Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
This is probably going slightly off topic but there has been news going around these past few days about samsung coming out with a 5.8 and 6.3 inch phone/tablet. This line is expected be called the "Mega" smartphone line.
Saw that. But if it's going to be a phone and/or, a $700 dollar device, then it's really not going to be a replacement for the SGP. And in my mind, it needs to at least have stereo speakers if it's a "media player" (or a gamer, for that matter).
But, it will be fun to find out what they have up their sleeve. The 5.5 device is going to have to offer SOMETHING different than the S4-otherwise, what's the point?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM

I can play very hard (3d/cpu...) games on my Galaxy Player 4.2, I also have a Note 1 and I play the same games, the graphic and fps are a little better, but not enought to think that my Galaxy Player is to change!

--------

I'm italian, sorry for my (bad) english

Old 04-06-2013, 02:51 PM

I just received my SGP 5 back from SquareTrade mail-in repair (I bought a 3 yr accindental warranty and it has paid for itself now) yesterday, where they replaced the battery (because it is soldered in, not replaceable, and because I said the device was getting half the Angry Birds play time that it got when new one year ago.)

It came back charged to 100% according to the battery icon you see when plugged in but before turning it on. I left it plugged in and turned it on and it took another 30 minutes before the icon came up to disconnect/battery is full. Then I download 60MB of updates (SqT had it for 3 weeks because they had to wait on the battery--they mailed me back my old one, btw, as per my request, so I know the old one is not still in there), and then played 3 hours of Angry Birds in Space (I'm not that good at it or I would be done them all by now, sigh), navigated Facebook for an hour, checked my email for a half-hour, left the device sit idle as little as possible and after 7 hours it told me it needed to be plugged in/recharged...so I turned device off and recharged, and hopefully now it is "calibrated".

6 hours of real use is about what I remembered when new; I was getting about 3 hours of heavy use after a year. I was concerned the repair place might get a battery that was sitting for 2 years in a hot warehouse or something and would not have proper capacity, but it seems to be ok.

When SqTrade was having trouble getting the battery in a timely fashion they offered to give me back the money I paid for the SGP5 and I could get a new one. Ack! besides being 100 bucks MORE now than when I got it new on sale (can't 3-yr warranty refurbs), I had kept the sd card but still had that sucker set up like I like it...and the 7" one has a 30-pin proprietary cord and is hard for my hands to hold...so they refunded my warranty price and I waited past promised repair date--I am SOOO not ready to replace my SGP5!

Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM

Probably a Galaxy S4 phone.

My wifi 4.0 has a dead area in the top-left. Samsung mp3 players always seem to break with me, but I keep buying them

Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 PM

The Galaxy Mega Line is now official if anyone cares...

Here are some of the specs
Two display sizes: 6.3″ and 5.8″, both are “HD”, which means 720p
Dual-core processor (1.7GHz), 1.5GB RAM
Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
8 Megapixel Rear Camera, 1.0 Megapixel front camera
WiFi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0
LTE 100Mbps, HSPA+ 21Mbps (will vary depending on region)
8GB or 16GB of internal storage (+microSD, 64GB max)
167.6 x 88 x 8mm, 199g
3200 mAh battery

Note: The screens are of the LCD variant and not Amoled probably because it is hard to manufacture amoled screens at this size and if they can it will be really expensive

Here is the link to the source
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/04/sam...nds-on-review/

What do you guys think? I know that these aren't considered pmps but would you consider replacing your galaxy players with one of these devices. Since these are midrange phones and not top tier devices I think that this is what Samsung wants to replace the Galaxy Player Line and who knows maybe they will release wifi only versions of these like their galaxy tab line. This is a huge step up from the galaxy players and would be a great successor to the galaxy player 5.0 imo. These are expected to be made available around May. The exact pricing and release date are still not known

The attached pictures belong to Ubergizmo. For more pictures check out the link

Last edited by lollicup04; 04-11-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 AM

the mega 5.8 appears to have the specs of the 5.8 media player (screen/processor). hopefully this will be a decent price as it is way under the spec of a note 2. or maybe a note 2 some time after the note 3 comes out, mmm decisions decisions. still no front facing speakers though! grrr

Last edited by marcel f; 04-12-2013 at 04:16 AM. Reason: amendment

Old 04-13-2013, 08:46 AM

I don't know what I'll do when my 5 takes a dirt nap.
Mine is 2ish years old and works great. I use it primarily as a reader...discrete reader at work, in a quiet lab...in bed before sleep primarily and on the road.
I do use it's wifi outside the home at times but not all that often.
As a reader it's perfect for me. Slips in my pants pocket easily and is easy to carry.

I use an iphone4 and it is just fine as a phone but the screen size makes it a bare essential reader though I have used it as a reader when I don't have my 5 with me.
I do however love my iphone for its' itunes...I love listening to podcasts and I find itunes to be far superior to any other format out there. Especially the Samsung version, which is dreadful and reminds me of DOS...ugh...which I still use, at work, for some antiquated programs still in use.

I've looked at the Note and Note2...Awesome device...If it had an itunes equal program I'd toss the 5 and iphone4 in a heart beat to just have one device.
I may wind up with a Note1 when my 5 needs replacing since I'm not going to pay the price they are asking for the Note2...that is just too much for my use.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 PM

I recently played a movie trailer on my SGP5 and the unexpected bass and stereo imaging from such a little device reminded me of why I am so happy I bought a backup SGP5 just in case my current one bites the dust. It sounds a lot better than my Nook Color, ASUS TF300T and my wife's Samsung Stratosphere.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVivona View Post
I recently played a movie trailer on my SGP5 and the unexpected bass and stereo imaging from such a little device reminded me of why I am so happy I bought a backup SGP5 just in case my current one bites the dust. It sounds a lot better than my Nook Color, ASUS TF300T and my wife's Samsung Stratosphere.
I watch full movies on mine from time to time, lying in bed.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I watch full movies on mine from time to time, lying in bed.
I have several on mine right now, including Avatar which I run in the 5.1 surround setting and it sounds quite good. I watched the entire movie and it wasn't difficult despite such a small screen.

The downloads from YouTube are often .flv files, so I use MX Video Player for those. In fact, my copy of Avatar is a .flv file.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I have several on mine right now, including Avatar which I run in the 5.1 surround setting and it sounds quite good. I watched the entire movie and it wasn't difficult despite such a small screen.

The downloads from YouTube are often .flv files, so I use MX Video Player for those. In fact, my copy of Avatar is a .flv file.
I have never used the stock video player, only MX Player. I didn't think a 5.1 could work with headphones...lol

Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I didn't think a 5.1 could work with headphones...lol
I didn't try it with headphones, just the built-in speakers. In Avatar, especially during the forest scenes, the soundfield expanded nicely. I know it isn't truly 5.1 surround. It is synthesized to get the effect on two speakers, but it is noticeable. You can hear the difference as you switch between stereo and 5.1.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:17 AM

I bought mine primarily as a video player, use it every day on lunch break. The screen quality is soo impressive even though it's not HD! I just wish it had front facing speakers! My galaxy camera has a better res screen & processing power (based on S3 phone), but the side speaker on the left drives me crazy! I use MX player also, I love the on screen controls for brightness and volume, much easier to use, but it does use more power than the stock player; only 1/2 an hour runtime lost over a full charge though!
As long as my 5.0 is working, I have no plans to replace it! The galaxy camera is bulky and heavy, but it was free from work and I have 3 batteries for it, so cannot complain too much.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For the matter of speakers on the back, if you cup your hand behind it, it reflects the sound and makes it sound a lot better.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah- even though it's crazy that the speakers are on the back, if you cup your hands around the device, or lean it against a book or something, the sound can get reflected back and provides a decent stereo experience for movies.

Why don't these manufacturer's put those 1/4" speakers up front? It makes me nuts.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I didn't try it with headphones, just the built-in speakers. In Avatar, especially during the forest scenes, the soundfield expanded nicely. I know it isn't truly 5.1 surround. It is synthesized to get the effect on two speakers, but it is noticeable. You can hear the difference as you switch between stereo and 5.1.
I can't imagine using the speakers to watch a movie, to be honest. They're nice to have in a pinch, but they can't compare to the sound you get from a good set of headphones.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:38 PM

that's why I love mx player, as the volume can go way louder, although another solution I now use is to increase the volume when ripping a dvd to avi file to 200%, works a treat!

Old 05-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
I don't know what I'll do when my 5 takes a dirt nap.
Mine is 2ish years old and works great. I use it primarily as a reader...discrete reader at work, in a quiet lab...in bed before sleep primarily and on the road.
I do use it's wifi outside the home at times but not all that often.
As a reader it's perfect for me. Slips in my pants pocket easily and is easy to carry.

I use an iphone4 and it is just fine as a phone but the screen size makes it a bare essential reader though I have used it as a reader when I don't have my 5 with me.
I do however love my iphone for its' itunes...I love listening to podcasts and I find itunes to be far superior to any other format out there. Especially the Samsung version, which is dreadful and reminds me of DOS...ugh...which I still use, at work, for some antiquated programs still in use.

I've looked at the Note and Note2...Awesome device...If it had an itunes equal program I'd toss the 5 and iphone4 in a heart beat to just have one device.
I may wind up with a Note1 when my 5 needs replacing since I'm not going to pay the price they are asking for the Note2...that is just too much for my use.
My limited experience with iTunes was that it's not only expensive but a a real PITA! It wants to "sync" library, device, ipad and computer all the time. It's a real PAIN to stash certain itunes items only on an ipad and some only on a phone...and to differentiate between the items that you've ripped yourself and those that have been purchased. Basically, in the Mac and iod world, apple assumes you are a moron and cannot fathom how to navigate and organize files. You don't even get a stock "Explorer" to sort and save files!

Over on the other side of the Pharm, as far as alternatives, once you get used to Amazon.mp3 it is remarkably simple. You get unprotected mp3 files (unlike Google Play!), the Cloud Player is great and you can browse, preview and play from your device, play fron the cloud or download any past purchased to any of your devices at any time. It's really quite elegant. Plus amazon.mp3 has pretty good sales on music almost constantly.

For podcasts, I use Podcatcher (in the Google Play store). It is pretty simple and effective to use. Browse, subscribe, download (or stream) and listen from the one app. For audio book playing, I use Mort Player. It also works flawlessly. pm me if you want further info on those.

If someone bought me an iPhone and gave me a $100 to use with iTunes, I'd thank them but then I'd throw it all in the trash.

I am considering a Note 2 though. When the Note 3 are announced at end of summer, the GN2 will probably drop to around $300-350. I LOVE the new HTC ONE except those idiots neglected to include a microSD slot! AND to make it worse the only way you can get a 64gB device is thru AT&T. F that static! But they certain got the skin right, and the speakers right (BRAVO!) and a great screen, although I would like to upgrade a bit from 5" size. Still, that stupid oversight of micro SD is a deal-breaker on a 32 gB machine. No way.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:57 PM

My sgp 4.0 has been retired to just music and gps and a little facebook while on the go while my main device now is a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0. The SGP 4 is still in great shape I bought another 16 gb card to store the music. I got the tab because it is easier to type notes on for school and watching long videos on the 4.0 gave me a headache on occasion. If I plan to replace one of these it will probably be around a time when I can afford a decent smart phone so I will likely do that.

I also wouldn't mind a 8 inch tablet I don't really care too much about an extra inch but still a 10 inch tablet in my opinion is too big to justify carrying around instead of my laptop

Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
My sgp 4.0 has been retired to just music and gps and a little facebook while on the go while my main device now is a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0. The SGP 4 is still in great shape I bought another 16 gb card to store the music. I got the tab because it is easier to type notes on for school and watching long videos on the 4.0 gave me a headache on occasion. If I plan to replace one of these it will probably be around a time when I can afford a decent smart phone so I will likely do that.

I also wouldn't mind a 8 inch tablet I don't really care too much about an extra inch but still a 10 inch tablet in my opinion is too big to justify carrying around instead of my laptop
The Tab 2 7" seams to be the most common thing people replacing there 4.0's go with, I know thats what I did when the sd card slot on my 4.0 went out, I still use it to test new ROM for the devs but it just sits there most of the time, what I really like about the tab 2 is that using for music like I did my 4.0 I get triple the best battery life the 4.0 EVER got, I'm talking going like a MONTH between charges.

Tags
discontinued, galaxy player, replacement