android
Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Default Clip Zip stuck at sansa flowers

Hello everyone,

First off, thanks for all the info here. I bought the sansa after finding this place. The unit it probably about 6 weeks old, bought from Best Buy, no rockbox, and running the latest firmware. I put in a 32 gig samsung sd card and it locked up when the "refreshing your media" bar was full. I reset the player and the sansa flowers opened and closed twice and that was it. Subsequently I tried everything recommend on the official sansa forum and the tech guy on the phone. Nothing worked and they authorized me to return it. I just thought I'd ask on here to see what everyone thought. Microcenter sd cards of all sizes ran perfectly fine, but I'm not sure the Samsung card is to blame. The only other thing I can think of is that the Sansa updater didn't seem to download correctly onto the player the last time I had it hooked up to the computer. That was before trying the Samsung card. Thanks again

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-22-2013, 09:31 AM

If you are sending it back there isn't much point in making suggestions. My very new clip zip got stuck with an error while in the process of removing rockbox. It turned off after holding the power switch for a while. I always just copy the firmware to the clip root. I would certainly have removed the card before attempting to fix.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 AM

It's not recognized by the computer. I'm pretty sure I turned the player off and then took the card out. I think some feedback would be useful in case this sort of thing happens again. the card is fat32 and appears to just be a regular card. I'm also curious if anyone here would know for sure whether this was just a defective player or if something messed it up.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

It's doesn't seem likely a particular brand card caused your problem. I've used just about every brand made and none of them have been a problem. Some have performed better than others but that's been as much luck of the draw as anything else. The one that transfers quickest is a 16 GB microcenter no-name that says it's a Lexar. It has a transfer speed that sometimes exceeds the Class 10 rating. I've clocked it at 20 Mbps in faster devices and as much as 6 Mbps in a Clip Zip. It's been dead stable in everything I've tried it in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fateicon View Post
Nothing worked and they authorized me to return it.
That's the most important part of this in my book. Why spend any more time playing with it once they authorize an RMA? Take your card out of it, see if it boots properly. If it doesn't, ship it back and get another one.

If the replacement comes with the 01.01.20 firmware that's the latest and there's no need to update. If it comes with an older firmware I wouldn't bother with the automated updater. It's a buggy POS that takes up space and uses system resources waiting for an update that possibly will never happen. You can easily update manually. The directions and download links for that are here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=64931

Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM

thanks for the welcome. I've got several 16 gig microcenter cards and they work well. So do the 8 gig and 32 gig ones. Patriot 16 gig was good too. I don't have a backup clip aside from my wife's, and I'm kinda hesitant to try this card in that one now. The auto updater sucks, I updated it manually before. It looks like it will take almost 3 weeks to get another one in the mail, so if I could fix this, I'd cancel the return. I had not created a folder called music on the samsung, and I had done that previously with the other cards. I read that it makes a difference, although I hadn't read that when I was creating folders called music. I was planning to try rockbox too. Today I will call tiger direct and hh gregg to see what they have. I don't really have another $45 to buy a backup one from best buy at the moment.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You can get a 4GB Clip+ on Amazon with free shipping for $30.

As for the player you have, try formatting it, deleting all the files on it. Set the USB mode to MSC. Now see if it connects properly to your pc. Whenever I get a new Sandisk player, the first thing I do is format it. Some of the Sandisk sample files are often corrupted. With the Sandisk players, you need to make sure your tags are in order. It needs ID3 V2.3 ISO8859-1 tags. Get rid of album artist and other tags the player doesn't support. Get rid of comments. If you have many files, then don't use embedded album art.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 PM

I had been editing the tags in foobar if they didn't have them already. So many things were coming up under unknown. Album art rarely came up. I can't get past the flowers, so, there's no way to access anything. Is the zip not supposed to support album and artist tags? Mine showed them. I saw that amazon also had 2 gig models used for $18.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Welcome to ABi

It's doesn't seem likely a particular brand card caused your problem. I've used just about every brand made and none of them have been a problem. Some have performed better than others but that's been as much luck of the draw as anything else. The one that transfers quickest is a 16 GB microcenter no-name that says it's a Lexar. It has a transfer speed that sometimes exceeds the Class 10 rating. I've clocked it at 20 Mbps in faster devices and as much as 6 Mbps in a Clip Zip. It's been dead stable in everything I've tried it in.That's the most important part of this in my book. Why spend any more time playing with it once they authorize an RMA? Take your card out of it, see if it boots properly. If it doesn't, ship it back and get another one.

If the replacement comes with the 01.02.18 firmware that's the latest and there's no need to update. If it comes with an older firmware I wouldn't bother with the automated updater. It's a buggy POS that takes up space and uses system resources waiting for an update that possibly will never happen. You can easily update manually. The directions and download links for that are here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=51524
Your link there is for the Clip+ firmware.
The Clip Zip's most recent firmware is .20, not .18, and the link for it is here

Old 03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Your link there is for the Clip+ firmware.
The Clip Zip's most recent firmware is .20, not .18, and the link for it is here
Thank You! Corrected...uh, I think

Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Is the zip not supposed to support album and artist tags? Mine showed them.
All of the Clips support the 'album' and 'artist' tags, but not the 'album artist' tag.

Steve

Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 AM

So I've tried some things since my last post. Went back to Best Buy and bought a black player. Rockboxed it. This is like night and day using AKG K550, Grado RS-1, Ibasso P2, Fiio E6 and Audioquest evergreen 3.5 to 3.5 cable. The samsung card now loads fine. Rockbox enables a pretty big increase in volume even when setting the player's volume at 0 db. I left the other EQ settings at default as far as I can tell. With the official firmware I often had to crank the player's volume to max along with the amp's just to get a decent level on stuff mastered in the 80s. With Rockbox I can leave the player at 0 db and maybe put the Ibasso at 75%. Fiio E6 still needs to be near max most of the time. Rockbox is a lot more bassy than the OF. It sounds more correct too. I'm not sure if that's the pitch error being fixed or something else.

This black player feels more solid, and the msd card always goes in without a hitch. On the blue player that I'm sending back, it was almost impossible to get the msd card in most of the time. I like how everything instantly loads. I can't see any reason to ever bother with the OF again.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Glad you're enjoying your fully working player. As to the rest of it...No, just...no.

All that stuff about audible improvements would need to be backed with something more than your subjective impressions to be believable. I just flat out don't believe you can accurately judge max volume levels in the way you say using just your ears.

The same for bass levels. RMAA testing would show if there was a difference in the signal that would cause an increase in bass levels. It doesn't.

If you're hearing something different it would be helpful if you provided RMAA test results of your own. Just saying "I hear a difference" is how the myths and legends surrounding supposed Rockbox sound quality improvements get spread.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Rockbox enables a pretty big increase in volume even when setting the player's volume at 0 db. I left the other EQ settings at default as far as I can tell. With the official firmware I often had to crank the player's volume to max along with the amp's just to get a decent level on stuff mastered in the 80s. With Rockbox I can leave the player at 0 db and maybe put the Ibasso at 75%. Fiio E6 still needs to be near max most of the time. Rockbox is a lot more bassy than the OF. It sounds more correct too. I'm not sure if that's the pitch error being fixed or something else.

Was the player perhaps set to Europe as the 'Region' in the OF and therefore hindered by the EU-mandated volume cap? That could account for Rockbox sounding 'louder'.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Administrator

That may be it. If it's not a case of the EU setting limiting the volume I stand by what I've said. Rockbox at -0 dB was tested to be the same as a non EU-limited Clip. The settings up to +6 db were included because it was found that it was possible to have them but they tend to introduce distortion.

The same series of test said the frequency response in Rockbox is the same as the OF, dead flat. http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...2016%20Ohm.htm That would have to change in order for there to be an increase in bass. That's why it's suggested if someone is hearing a difference they supply a set of properly done RMAA tests to validate what they're hearing. That would give the developers a starting point to find what's changed and fix it.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM

I have no idea how to do any of this technical stuff with measurements. I'd be curious to try though. It seems plausible that maybe I downloaded a firmware with EU volume limiting somehow. I can't think of another reason. I actually read that rockbox made the player quieter before I put it on here. With the OF I had to always tweak the EQ with just about every album. Rockbox as it is sounds much better than any of the presents or custom EQing I did with the OF. I seldom change anything with the EQ.

The headphones might be changing slightly since they are new. I've read all nwavguy's stuff and I remember him saying there was some objectivity to burn-in. Whether it was audible or not, I don't really remember what he said about that.

These 550s sound pretty bad when plugged directly into the clip though. They really sound like they lack body without the amp. Double checked to make sure I didn't accidentally turn the amp's bass boost on. Nope. It's not even a huge amount of bass I'm referring to, it sounds adequate.

I've read lots about the O2 and plenty of things that were critical of nwavguy and the objective viewpoint. I tend to go with the objective side. It was this site that steered me away from Hifiman stuff. Brings me back to Canjam 2010. I plugged my RS-1 into whatever hifiman player was there and thought it was pretty bad(like a lot of the expensive gear there). My intent is to try to find the objective truth about this stuff instead of compulsively blowing thousands of dollars on overhyped junk in attempt to reach some kind of audio nirvana that doesn't really exist.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
It seems plausible that maybe I downloaded a firmware with EU volume limiting somehow. I can't think of another reason.
There is only 1 firmware version. It all depends on what you set your Region to when turning on the player for the first time, or updating the firmware. Selecting Europe will cap the volume to (I believe) 80db. Selecting North America or Rest of World will not.

If you mistakenly picked Europe, it's easy enough to fix; just Reset Factory Settings and it will ask you for your Region again. Choose wisely.