android
Old 03-05-2013, 05:43 PM

Default RockBox dual-boot on Clip v1 does not work

I installed RockBox on my Clip v1 (01.01.35A is latest, right?), now it boots into RockBox but I was told I can dual boot also back to the old firmware, how do I do that?

Also, is the RockBox software better in achieving the idealistic truly neutral soundscape compared to the original firmware? I know it has all the EQs but I don't need that.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Dual boot is working for me on all my Rockboxed sansa players. That includes a v1 Clip. Have you tried reading the manual http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...box-build.html to find how to dual boot? Reading it at least through Browsing And Playing is highly recommended.

Rockbox and the OF should sound the same with any EQ settings off and the volume matched.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 AM

And here is it.

Well... if it doesn't sound better... strange. I was informed that it is better, whatever that means. Then maybe it's no point for for me to use it on my Clip.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 AM
Administrator

The Rockbox developers have never made a claim of audible superiority. They would no doubt be interested in objective test results showing that using Rockbox alters the sound except for correcting the pitch difference that's not noticed by most people. You may want to ask those who tell you it sounds better to provide you with more than anecdotal evidence like RMAA testing.

There's been a universal silence when that request has been made. I'm guessing that either the ones who make that claim can't be bothered or don't know how to perform the test. There's also the chance that they have either done the testing or seen other results that show there isn't a difference and decided not to continue on insisting there's a difference that testing that's orders of magnitude more sensitive than human hearing says isn't there.

BTW the request for RMAA results doesn't mean "Prove it or STFU!". Rockbox is continuously in development and it's always possible some change can impact the playback engine. If someone can provide objective evidence there's been a change that causes an audible difference that would provide the developers with what they would need to start to investigate what's gone wrong.

As to using Rockbox, that's your decision. I use it principally for not dealing with the OF database refresh, pan\balance control, on the fly playlist creation, better battery life and the much superior parametric equalizer. There's a more complete listing of what it can do in my sig. If none of that is what you're looking for the OF works on a V1 Clip but not as well as later generation Clips. The audio hardware is the same but the limited memory on the V1 Clip caused sandisk to leave out some things that are included on later models. Replaygain and folder browsing are both features that were included after the V1 iirc.

The signficant issue for me with using Rockbox on a V1 is the known issue of the greatly reduced battery life. You can read more about that on the SanDisk Sansa AMS Port Page page here http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS. I have Rockbox installed but I usually boot to the OF. My V1 Clip doesn't get the greatest battery life due to it's age and if I listen using Rockbox it gets cut to about 3 hours at best.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 PM

I was told that it sounds better on the Head-Fi forums! I'm sorry for that.

I don't ever use the equalizer thingy.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Administrator

There's no need to apologize. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen that claim made. Thing of it is I've never seen it substantiated in any meaningful fashion. It always seems to be someone that would prefer you trust their ears over tests that are orders of magnitude more reliable when properly done. Between trusting someone that can't tell you how they performed volume matching and a well done RMAA test I go with the test results each time.

The claims of audible improvement are most probably based on placebo and expectation bias. However there is the chance for the reasons I described there may be a difference. Playback changes were made in the early stages of the port on the basis of a series of tests. If there's another set of tests that demonstrate that there's been unwanted changes the developers could use those to make corrections. They can't do that using claims of "I hear this".