android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Default Albums have numbers before the album name on the external card.......

I have always used my 4 gig Clip + by just dragging and dropping the albums on both the main memory and external card. I have noticed that on the external card, that many of the albums file names start with 099877_Alice and Chains. Why does it do this, am I doing something wrong? I find it really annoying and finally decided to ask about it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Administrator

The player is either in MTP mode or Autodefect. That causes it to disregard your folder structure and substitute the one that's best for it to read. The expectation in MTP mode is that the you will interact with the files primarily through software and there's not much regard for what you might see in any other view.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:20 PM

That makes sense, so since it looks like it was using MTP, when I move to MSC, the files transferred to the clip via MTP will not be available. Cool, thanks for the info.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post
That makes sense, so since it looks like it was using MTP, when I move to MSC, the files transferred to the clip via MTP will not be available. Cool, thanks for the info.
The player doesn't care which USB mode is used in the transferrence of files. It will play them regardless. However, in managing the files on your computer, note that files loaded in one USB mode (MTP or MSC) are not visible while connected in the other, so it definitely makes sense to have them all loaded in the same mode.

Unless you use Rhapsody or some other subscription-based service that cripples thier files with DRM (Digital Rights Malarky) and have to use MTP, MSC mode generally works better.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Another "glitch" of MTP mode--MSC mode prevents the bizarre renaming.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Administrator

It's not so much a glitch as people just don't understand MTP. If you recall folder browsing didn't come along for sansa player for quite a while. I suspect this type of misunderstanding of MTP transfer was at least in part responsible.

A person seeing "folders" named something other than what they believe they should be would think something was broken and calls support or wants to return the DAP. Once I became comfortable with the idea that if the files were properly tagged and the syncing software was performing properly MTP had some distinct benefits I stopped caring what was being done to the folder names.

My Sony players don't add numbers to folder names but they will shorten them. Whatever syncing software I use deals with that. I just decide what to send and what I want in my playlists. I never bring anything back to my PC anyway so they can look however it works best for the DAP. I'm happy as long as everything works the way I prefer.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM

I'm not going to spend time testing this (I always use MSC mode) by moving titles in MTP mode, but I did switch to MTP mode to take a look at what the external card shows.
It shows a couple of albums that aren't really there and puts all my real folders under a music folder (they are actually under root).
If you remove the card and use a card reader, that will show what is actually written. Like I said, I can't conveniently do this, but maybe someone can post as to what is really written to the card. Note: in MTP mode, the computer only shows a single entry with sub entries for internal memory and card, so I suppose Sansa can display any way it wants.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Default Sorry

Sorry, but I'm new to this and so not much of what has been written here makes any sense. If I copy files manually in Windows explorer and sometimes use the sych feature in Windows Media player to get files to my External drive/sdcard what should I do to stop the numbers in front of some of my songs in the External drive/sdcard? I just looked in Settings and found USB Mode (which I didn't even know was there) and it's set to AutoDetect. It looks like, from comments here, that I should change it to MSC, will that stop the numbers in front of some songs? I wrote to Sansa and they suggested formatting the card, which I did, but the problem still exists. If I set it to MSC will that make the problem go away? thanks for any clarification you can provide

Old 04-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Switching to MSC mode will have the player be recognized like any external drive. Windows Explorer assigns a drive letter and the player recognizes them as just folders containing files and the names will remain the same. The folders names should remain the same after the database refresh.

In MTP mode there's no drive letter assigned and the player sees what's transferred as media, not folders or files. As I said before the expectation is that media will be addressed by software, not directly manipulated by you. The player arranges the media internally in a way that's best for the player and MTP enabled software to do their work.

If that means changing folder names that don't fit with the player's software they are changed to something that conforms to the MTP implementation of that player. That's where the added numbers come in. As long as the player and a software such as WMP or Winamp work properly together there's no regard as to how the folder names appear in Windows Explorer or when you browse by folder on the player.

You want to be aware that anything that was loaded in one mode cant be seen or accessed in Explorer if you switch to the other. It can still be seen and used on the player, just not in Explorer. That means that it's best to take everything off and start again or delete the previously loaded content before making the switch if you want to straighten out the folder names.

Windows Media Player will sync files and playlists to a sandisk player in both modes. Both the playlist and the files transfer in MTP. The files and folders transfer in MSC but the playlist won't be written as a file on the player. You will see the files but there won't be a playlist visible.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 AM

whew, why can't anything be easy So even though I see "aeiou12345Bob Seagar and the Silver B" in Widows Explorer, the Sandisk player sees it for what it is. I will have to do some testing to see if that's true, see if the player actually has the songs on it. Thanks for the info, I may even understand it now.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Administrator

I think of it as fairly easy after dealing with it for this long. It's a matter of deciding which mode works best for your purposes and making sure all your files get transferred in that mode. The more you use one or the other, the more you understand the capabilities and limitations of each.

I have one Clip I keep in MTP mode to experiment with that, the rest I manage in MTP. I've done that enough to know I prefer MSC but what each person uses pretty much depends on what makes it easiest for them. Drag and drop works with both modes, btw. It's what happens in how the files are presented to you that's different.

If you want to use software that requires a drive letter to work and folder browsing, go with MSC. If you don't use DRM protected files it's the way to go in my opinion.

MTP has it's merits. Playlists tend to be easier to make and keep synced and the database refresh is much shorter. Essentially the database is formed as the files transfer. The transfer may be somewhat slower especially if you transfer a large number of files at the same time. If you use software to sync playlists MTP would be my choice.