android
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 AM

Default Are many members using the EU 4.2 in US without problems?

Looking for insight in using the Europe version 4.2 in the US. Are many others doing so, and what problems are you having, if any?

Trying to decide whether to return or not as I did want a white one. I know the gps and wifi is both hard coded to EU, and I found if I shut-off wifi with quick key I must then reboot to activate wifi again, as the quick key will not work. Also, not interested and would never use the GPS. Would there be any other problems members would know of?

Thanks for any help with this, as they are discontinued and would maybe keep the White EU as a backup to the Black US that I already have. Another reason is the replaceable battery, which the 5.0 does not have.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 AM

only issue I know of is you won't be able to get warranty work done on it, It was in a thread here that Samsung won't do warranty work if the player is being used in a country different from where it was sold.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
only issue I know of is you won't be able to get warranty work done on it, It was in a thread here that Samsung won't do warranty work if the player is being used in a country different from where it was sold.
Not really worried about Warranty work! In the 25yrs of dealing with electronics I have only used the warranty for a couple of hard drives on Computers. Also, price today is under $200 for most items, so extended or third party waranties are an un-necessary expense.

But, thanks for your input, as you were the only reply out of 75 looks. Am sure there are many from US using this Europe version, just unsure why they won't respond in some way.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM

the 4.2 was just never that popular a device, most the people here got into the galaxy player line back when all there was only the 4.0 and 5.0, of which I do believe a few in the US got an EU player. I was always under the impression the only real difference between the version was the capacitive home button vs. physical home button. What do you mean the GPS is "hard coded"?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM

Comes with Europe and Ireland maps only. Wifi did have a hard code zone, so I'm using that as an example for the gps, thinking that is also a hard coded zone. Maybe I'm wrong?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM

to my knowledge maps are not preloaded, atleast not google maps anyway (the app is but not the maps), it downloads the map, even if they are you should be able to get around that my using a different GPS app.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 PM

Thank you for your insight. Maybe I'll unbox it and try it out again.

Does anyone know of a way to change the wifi zone so I don't have to reboot to get to wifi on?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:24 AM

Have returned it, as rebooting is a PITA to get wifi turned back on. Will purchase a factory refurb instead from Amazon as a backup to my SGP 5.0 because the 4.2 has replaceable battery.