android
Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM

Default Moving Apps to USB Storage Error

Hello Everyone!

I have been reading these forums for the past couple of months for an ipod touch alternative. I saw the samsung galaxy player 5 in stores and looked up reviews, and then some posts at this site. I decided to buy one recently. I have been very satisfied with the device so far.

However, I have encountered one issue which has been puzzling to resolve. I would like to move some apps from internal memory to the 'usb storage', which I take both are separate partitions of the flash memory on the device, correct? In any case, when I click 'move to USB storage' I receive the error below:

"Failed to move application: Not enough memory"

Not sure why this is happening. I have not filled either partition (639M out of 2G internal, 153M out of 5G USB storage). I tried finding out more information around the web and some places recommended to use a app2sd program. I one of those apps, and same error results. Other places state that this was a former feature in froyo, but is not manageable to be done on newer android OSes. Is that true? I could not confirm if this affects Gingerbread builds.

Oddly, a friend of mine has a gingerbread device (manufacture is sony) and he is able to move his apps to the internal sd space, which sounds like the same as 'usb storage', unless I am wrong.

I do not have an external memory card within my device at this time. Has anyone come across this issue with their galaxy player? Is there a solution? If this was posted previously, I apologize for the repost. Thank you for any help in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 PM

Same thing happened to me. You have to have an external micro sd card installed, because when you move the app it puts a small portion of the app on the sd card and the rest in the usb storage of the device. I am not sure why as it seems to be a waste of the usb space needing a card to put apps in it but that is how it is. I went through this months back when I tried to free up some space on my sons player by moving to usb. As far as I know there is no way around it.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Thank you very much brosko for responding. I will be receiving a micro sd card in the mail from amazon in the next two days. I will try again when I have mounted and formatted the card.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:44 PM

Glad to help. It still doesnt make sense why you have to have card to utilize usb memory for apps(kinda defeats purpose a little imo)

Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 AM

Received my SD card yesterday. Formatted and mounted it without issue, and I was able to move apps to the usb storage partition. Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM

You're welcome. Notice how it puts a little bit of the app on card and rest on usb. Weird but that is how it is

Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. I have a 64G card, formatted to 59G, so I am not worried about space. Note to self, removing the sd card may break those apps from running.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 PM

Ya with card out they wont run if they are on usb storage due to the small missing part on card.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
You're welcome. Notice how it puts a little bit of the app on card and rest on usb. Weird but that is how it is
I imagine it would need to leave something behind on the device so that with the card out you still have "placeholders" for the app. When I remove my external_sd card, all my 'desktop shortcuts' change from the icons they normally have to plain old Android bots--BUT there is a bot in place (in my Circle Launch APP or on the screen) so that when I reload the card they will connect and live in the spaces I had them before. Likely that's the small bit of data left on the internal memory.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 PM

just to mention it actually leaves like 95% of the app on the device and the rest is on the card. a very small amount of each app is actually on the card.