android
Old 03-09-2013, 05:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default V-Moda M100

A friend of mine was talking about the V-Moda M100's tonight, they are pricey (he doesn't own them but wants them), does anyone have any opinions on them worth sharing? Are they worth $300, are there equivalent lower priced models worth considering?

Cheers,

Bruce

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM

I have one, I'd agree with the innerfidelity review wholeheartedly, they are not accurate, the bass is boosted by at least 4-5 dBs, if you want to do some serious listening/listen to classical a lot, don't even go near these. BUT, if you love fun music on the go, this is kickass. I'd list the three primary reasons these give me amazing guilty pleasure:

1. The portability: Even a lot of On-ear headphones are not as portable as these are, and these are full-size BTW. Their folding mechanism is really unique, the case is VERY small and sturdy as well, see the innerfidelity review video for an idea. I've tried full-size portables before, but non-portability was the biggest reason I had to get rid of them (ironic isn't it?) Not in the case of the m100s.

2. The sound: I love bass boost every once in a while, especially on the go I love EDM, these are the perfect cans to listen to that kind of music. And, a lot of people might disagree, but I love aggressive music on these cans! The blast beats from death metal bands literally rattle your head. And for a bass-boosted can, the mids and highs are clear enough for me. I've tried Sony's XB series before, IMO on these the mids and highs are much better represented.

3. The look and the attention to detail: Okay, I HATE to admit that I fell in love with them at first sight:P. I usually don't care about looks, but these are just...sexy. Can blow the BEATS line out of water any day.

The customization options, the packaging, the attention to details (plethora of small accessories like plastic caps for your input port when you're not using it) are good enough to charge a premium in the modern world. Considering the kickass sound and portability, definitely worth the price.

One negative would be the comfort, the pleather pads are a little shallow, I've seen people online complaining about their ears hurting from wearing these for a long time due to the inner side of the headphone pressing on part of the ear. Luckily these are very comfortable on my head, but I'd recommend trying before buying if you can, especially if you have unusually large ears.

There are a lot of conflicting reviews on the web on these cans, I just highlighted the things I find positive. Some people might not like the excessive bass, but as I said, these are not for critical listening or accurac. Hope that helps!

Last edited by Rockin_Zombie; 03-13-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That's great, what im really after tho is a cheaper alternative that might have similar sound...

Old 03-14-2013, 10:18 AM

I'd recommend XB500 if portability is not an issue

Old 03-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well he's not an IEM convert yet (which i think he should be), he wants something to commute with on the train to and from work. He has a long commute (1hr 40mins each way) so comfort would be high on the priorities. Also there is a 'quiet' carriage on the train now that he wouldn't be able to use cans as they would leak too much sound (unlike my wife who uses that carriage with her IEMs).
So he has it in his head to buy the V-Moda M100's, but at that price it'll be awhile till he can afford. I'm also wondering at all if he will be happy with them from his specific set of needs/constraints;

1) Can wear for 2hrs at a time without discomfort.
2) we live in Australia, It can be hot, i bet he would get very sweaty wearing them
3) They leak sound.

How to the XB500's wear? They look comfy as hell! What about an IEM alternative, I owned the V-Moda Vibe IEMs in the past, they were ok, I prefer my Soundmagic E10's, especially when you consider the price differences also..

Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How about the Sennheiser HD25-1 mk.II? Spending $300 on the M100 doesn't make sense to me. I agree though that for portable use when isolation is needed, an IEM is imo the best choice. I guess for whatever reason he doesn't want an IEM.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have the hd25-1 II's, and the sq is EXCELLENT!!!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
How about the Sennheiser HD25-1 mk.II? Spending $300 on the M100 doesn't make sense to me. I agree though that for portable use when isolation is needed, an IEM is imo the best choice. I guess for whatever reason he doesn't want an IEM.
Preliminary searches suggest the price of the HD25 mk 2 are same if not more than V-Moda M100's.

I'm coming from a perspective of having paid triple figures for some IEMs and getting sound better from budget IEMs (like Soundmagic E10's for example).
Does this sort of thing happen in the can form as well? I'm hoping someone can recommend at least a cheaper pair of cans that are similar to V-Moda M100's (tho of course not as good etc). So far the XB500's are certainly alot cheaper, 1/3rd of the price!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Preliminary searches suggest the price of the HD25 mk 2 are same if not more than V-Moda M100's.

I'm coming from a perspective of having paid triple figures for some IEMs and getting sound better from budget IEMs (like Soundmagic E10's for example).
Does this sort of thing happen in the can form as well? I'm hoping someone can recommend at least a cheaper pair of cans that are similar to V-Moda M100's (tho of course not as good etc). So far the XB500's are certainly alot cheaper, 1/3rd of the price!
I think the v-moda m80s are the on-ear equivalent of the m100s.
They're even more portable and still have that durability factor. They should have a similar sound signature and they go for around 100-120 here in the states.

ATH M50s are also generally recommended for the money but aren't as portable as the m80s.

The HD25 MKII are nice though because I believe that model is completely user servicable.

and I think for the money...the Philips Citiscape Downtowns are pretty good as well. From reviews they have good isolation and sound but for around 30-40 USD. The big brother to that is less portable but looks cool...the Uptown ~70 USD.

Klipsch Image and Reference One's are consistently on sale...right around 55 and 70 USD respectively.

I think the more expansive cans will generally sound better and be better built. But I think there's a plateau for each level and you would spend considerably more to get better sound/build quality.

I was also looking for portable cans but instead bought into some full size (A900x) and some cheaper earbuds(Brainwavz m5). I'm satisfied with these for now and they don't require any amping to get good volume. I'm still looking for portable headphones for myself but those are the ones that I keep an eye on, price-wise.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Bruce, have you looked at the Audiofly brand? They are made in Australia so you may be able to get a decent deal on their IEMs.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Well he's not an IEM convert yet (which i think he should be), he wants something to commute with on the train to and from work. He has a long commute (1hr 40mins each way) so comfort would be high on the priorities. Also there is a 'quiet' carriage on the train now that he wouldn't be able to use cans as they would leak too much sound (unlike my wife who uses that carriage with her IEMs).
So he has it in his head to buy the V-Moda M100's, but at that price it'll be awhile till he can afford. I'm also wondering at all if he will be happy with them from his specific set of needs/constraints;

1) Can wear for 2hrs at a time without discomfort.
2) we live in Australia, It can be hot, i bet he would get very sweaty wearing them
3) They leak sound.

How to the XB500's wear? They look comfy as hell! What about an IEM alternative, I owned the V-Moda Vibe IEMs in the past, they were ok, I prefer my Soundmagic E10's, especially when you consider the price differences also..

XB500s are amazing, but NOT portable at all. If full-size/on-ear cans doesn't fold or doesn't have a good case for carrying, it becomes such a nuisance that he might stop listening to music altogether. I think your best bet is to convert him into IEMs, I've been down that line SO many times, switching back n forth between IEMs and full-size. I know where he is coming from, I love the details of my IEMs but love the soundstage and bass full size headphones provide. So now I've both:P. But as far as commuting on the train goes, I always stick to my IEMs, isolation and no sound leakage makes them the first choice.

Having said that, if you can't convert him to IEMs, I think the citiscape downtown/uptown (suggested above) are good. I've seen them on sale at local Winners for around 30/60, have tried them, great bang for buck. And when he has enough saved up he can move up the chain if he wants, since these are so cheap.

Last edited by Rockin_Zombie; 03-16-2013 at 02:36 PM.