android
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM

In my personal opinion, Sony needs to completely scrap the so-called "S-Master" (or MX) amplification, which I have not yet understood to-date.

They also need to start making players without output coupling capacitors on the headphone out and seriously lower the output impedance. Also if they want to introduce a touch-screen flagship device, they should completely drop Android and go back to the proprietary OS used on their X1000-series. The DSEE function measurably functions on the X1000 but not the new Z1000. From available test graphs, activating DSEE on the Z1000 has no impact on high-frequency intensity whatsoever. Maybe it's Android. Also what is the point of using a Tegra 2 on a music-orientated device anyway?

Countless people have criticized the lack of external expansion slots on Walkman players. I understand, but I really cannot say anything about that since, well, personal opinion.

I find myself to agree more and more with the whole "portable audio only needs to be good enough" point of view. I did just rig up an inexpensive CD-speaker system and I don't want to listen to my numerous headphones anymore.

Phones, though, I still see music-playing abilities on phones as something tacked-on at the last minute.

Ganz Europa erobert

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
In my personal opinion, Sony needs to completely scrap the so-called "S-Master" (or MX) amplification, which I have not yet understood to-date.

They also need to start making players without output coupling capacitors on the headphone out and seriously lower the output impedance. Also if they want to introduce a touch-screen flagship device, they should completely drop Android and go back to the proprietary OS used on their X1000-series. The DSEE function measurably functions on the X1000 but not the new Z1000. From available test graphs, activating DSEE on the Z1000 has no impact on high-frequency intensity whatsoever. Maybe it's Android. Also what is the point of using a Tegra 2 on a music-orientated device anyway?

Countless people have criticized the lack of external expansion slots on Walkman players. I understand, but I really cannot say anything about that since, well, personal opinion.

I find myself to agree more and more with the whole "portable audio only needs to be good enough" point of view. I did just rig up an inexpensive CD-speaker system and I don't want to listen to my numerous headphones anymore.

Phones, though, I still see music-playing abilities on phones as something tacked-on at the last minute.

Ganz Europa erobert
Why go back to the propietary os? I like Android and it's super customizable. If anything sony should create their own launcher/and music app on top of android and put that on their. As far as micro sd slot is concerned I really don't care either way as long as it has enough for my music. I have about 12gb music right now so a 16gb player is fine but when I can get a 32gb card for $20 it's hard to argue for getting a walkman over a sansa just for that reason alone. Especially when the sansa is half the price. I love my walkman e-475 but there is no way i would have paid full retail most likely. I just happened to have enough sony rewards points to get it. I think that if sony is going to stay in the market they have to offer something as compelling as sansa at a similar price of they will vanish.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Why go back to the propietary os? I like Android and it's super customizable.
Implementation. I have never handled an F800, nor do I know its specs. However I know that on my Z1000, there were quirks here and there back when it was Android 2.3. Quirks such as no sound would play when I press Play (but the progress bar advances) or the home page music widget not showing the correct song currently playing. Also that dreadful lag on the W. Control.

This was all 2.3, mind you, and when Sony made that Android ICS, things got worse. I don't know whether the device is running out of RAM or something, but normal music playing stutters. It's like playing Crysis on a Gateway FX and still pushing it to Very High. I did wipe/wipe (Android reset mode) and Factory resets to no avail. The X1000-series had its problems, but from what I know, at least that system doesn't lag and stutter and "Sorry the application 'Home' has stopped working".

Why can't they just use the system they already use on the A86x?

Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Implementation. I have never handled an F800, nor do I know its specs. However I know that on my Z1000, there were quirks here and there back when it was Android 2.3. Quirks such as no sound would play when I press Play (but the progress bar advances) or the home page music widget not showing the correct song currently playing. Also that dreadful lag on the W. Control.

This was all 2.3, mind you, and when Sony made that Android ICS, things got worse. I don't know whether the device is running out of RAM or something, but normal music playing stutters. It's like playing Crysis on a Gateway FX and still pushing it to Very High. I did wipe/wipe (Android reset mode) and Factory resets to no avail. The X1000-series had its problems, but from what I know, at least that system doesn't lag and stutter and "Sorry the application 'Home' has stopped working".

Why can't they just use the system they already use on the A86x?
because android can do a lot more and if you are paying that kind of premium for a media player you kind of expect it to do more than just music? seems more of a sony problem than an android problem to be honest. they have always been pretty good at creating gadgets but sometimes the firmware just isn't up to snuff or they are too backwards thinking to think people might actually want to do something like i dunno have music played in the background of all ps3 games.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
because android can do a lot more and if you are paying that kind of premium for a media player you kind of expect it to do more than just music? seems more of a sony problem than an android problem to be honest. they have always been pretty good at creating gadgets but sometimes the firmware just isn't up to snuff or they are too backwards thinking to think people might actually want to do something like i dunno have music played in the background of all ps3 games.
I once used a Sony PCM-D50 to listen to music. That thing retailed for $675 here in Canada compared to the $250 Z1000. I much prefer that black-and-white "system" and friggin' separate Pause Play Stop buttons. And since my Z is stuttering like what-the-bejesus so maybe I'll get another one.

My point being, the more expensive it is, the more professional looking the system should be. Android is not. Have you ever seen a Marantz PMD661? That type of system would be perfect. Track time and track name. No frills.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
My point being, the more expensive it is, the more professional looking the system should be. Android is not.
PMPs are a niche item made out of budget parts with the absolute minimum amount of software effort to get out the door since there is such a small market that has to support development costs. If you're expecting a high quality product, you're going to be disappointed. For highly integrated electronics, quality comes with volume.

Quote:
Also if they want to introduce a touch-screen flagship device, they should completely drop Android and go back to the proprietary OS used on their X1000-series.
But then they would have to pay for development of a proprietary OS, which would mean even more corner cutting elsewhere.

Quote:
Also what is the point of using a Tegra 2 on a music-orientated device anyway?
Its an obsolete mass-market SOC that is natively supported by AOSP since it there was a Google sponsored device using it. That makes it really cheap, both to buy the chip and because Google has already funded the software development needed to integrate it into the OS.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
But then they would have to pay for development of a proprietary OS, which would mean even more corner cutting elsewhere.
I do believe that they already have several proprietary pieces of firmware developed. Look at the X1000-series. Can't they just tack it on some hardware with a similar framework? Perkin Elmer does that. $120 000 graphite furnace, runs on DOS and 5-1/4" floppies. They share the same control interface with their entire line of AA instruments.

Of course, you are a software dev and I am not. So all of the above might be glaringly wrong in your eyes.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
I do believe that they already have several proprietary pieces of firmware developed. Look at the X1000-series. Can't they just tack it on some hardware with a similar framework?
Then can of course keep selling the X1000 series. Sandisk has been selling the same AS3525 based players, first as the e200v2, then as the fuze, then clip+ and now Clip Zip. Its worked very well for them. But it also mean their players haven't changed in forever.

Probably the goal here was to cut costs while adding new features, and doing that with proprietary software would probably have been much harder. Adding new features to a proprietary system is likely to be expensive, as is porting it to new hardware. The alternative, take some free software that runs on a cheap system and already has support for things like mutlitouch and most video formats, was likely much cheaper.