android
Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 AM

Default Samsung Warranty Warning--any device

A general note about Samsung manufacturer's warranty --for any device--from an experience I just had earlier today. Be aware.

My Samsung Galaxy Player 5 is 11 months old and after calling Samsung Customer Support about the (sealed, soldered-in) battery life going down to an unacceptable level, they said that if I sent it to their ONE AND ONLY point of repair in Texas it would receive a new battery. When I gave the customer service rep my full model# of YP G70-CW*** she commented that the "CW" letters made it seem like it was not made-for-USA-market. But that device worldwide was built the same, so no matter.

Today I received the device back with a note that said nothing had been done to it because "Device worked." And then "Technician Advice: Return device to country it was manufactured for to receive repairs."

After 2 hours on the phone with Samsung, they told me that the Texas plant cannot repair anything not made for the US market, but they would try to figure out what country it was made for and get me "the phone number for that repair plant--it seems like maybe it was meant for Mexico. They could give me an address is Mexico to mail it, maybe." I don't speak Spanish....

Pfft! My Square Trade extended warranty kicks in next month, or I'd be screwed. I bought it thru Amazon Market vendor, and no one was showing model numbers past the yp g70 back then. Even if I did have the CW info and called Samsung with it before buying, I doubt they would've known what country it was meant to be sold in...no red flag went up when I registered the device last year at Samsung.com, just when I tried to use the warranty recently.

I love the device itself, but that battery just isn't holding up 11 months in...Square Trade is going to take care of this, but they shouldn't have to--Samsung has found a new way to weasle out of their warranties, knowing full well when people register that they have been slipped a foreign market device.

And this could be any Samsung device that you buy anywhere except Samsung's own website for your country--all sorts of stuff goes through Amazon and Newegg --especially the MarketPlace vendors.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 AM
Samsung Moderator

CW means 8GB white, nothing to do with the country.
The country or region code is the 3 letters after, usually XAA for the USA.

They told you bullshit but I'm not surprised, that's how it is in any company.

Regarding the warranty I don't know how it works in the USA, but here in Europe, Samsung usually provides a European warranty, meaning it *should* be repaired in any country in Europe if bought in Europe.... I guess...don't want to try though^^

Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Redneck Moderator

Could always do the battery yourself for just a few $ for a replacement on ebay.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Could always do the battery yourself for just a few $ for a replacement on ebay.
I don't see anything available, do you have a link?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 AM

Battery for Galaxy 5.0 for do it yourself. Was posted here sometime ago.

http://www.samsungparts.com/Products...W/Default.aspx

Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Thanks, but note that this is not cheap and not on ebay.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 PM

Right!! Not available on eBay, or anywhere else for that matter. Earlier posting here for a battery was even higher price, if I remember correctly it was for over $70.00. Guess it depends on how much the player is worth to you. I plan on getting one for the future, as I take this 5.0 everywhere with me, and also use it as a kindle reader.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by parchping View Post
I don't see anything available, do you have a link?
Just like the Rolling Stones song, "you can't always get what you want" when you want it on eBay. Sometimes you have to wait and watch. You can do a search for what you are looking for, then "save" that search and have eBay notify you by e-mail when something that fits your description is listed.

Remember, patience is a virtue (especially if you're looking for a rare item or a good price)!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM

I have a very good idea how to do searches. I am patient. I repeat my question, addressed to Syndrome, since Tabatha and Tapeworm persist in going off in their own directions.

Any link to inexpensive replacements?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parchping View Post
I have a very good idea how to do searches. I am patient. I repeat my question, addressed to Syndrome, since Tabatha and Tapeworm persist in going off in their own directions.
Sorry you feel that way, I wasn't trying to be condescending or insulting. I was merely "informing" you of the ability to save searches and have eBay notify you when similar items are listed. Many people do not know of this, and would be appreciative of the advice.

Apparently you do and are not. Sorry I bothered to try and help. Next time, maybe you should 'persist' in a conditioning statement in your post along the lines of, "I asked this of so-and-so. Everybody else please mind your own damn business." I'll gladly comply.

Last edited by Tapeworm; 03-07-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 PM

Default Country code TPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
CW means 8GB white, nothing to do with the country.
The country or region code is the 3 letters after, usually XAA for the USA.
^^
I apologize for misinformation--the full lettering after the standard YP-G70 is CW/TPA. TPA is not a USA market code. I will make this correction at Amazon and Newegg....

Just now the UPS guy showed up with a call tag to collect an MP3 player to send to Plano, TX for Samsung. I didn't give the unit over, I called customer service again asking why no one informed me that a second repair tag was authorized. They didn't know.

While on the phone with them I looked agaiun at the last repair invoice and it listed my model as YP.../XEE. I asked where that lettering came from. I was told it was the tag INSIDE the unit, and if it didn't match the outside tag then the inside one was to be believed...but no one could know if that's what happened or if the repair person made a mistake.

So while left on hold for a supervisor for 20 minutes I got my micro phillips head screwdriver and a guitar pick and opened the thing, found the inside tag had exactly the same TPA model code and same serial number as outside sticker, took a photo, and told the supervisor so when he finally got on the phone.

"You have voided the warranty by tampering with a screw. There is nothing we can do for you now." and he hung up. UN B EFFING LIEVABLE.

Anything but Samsung for warranties. It's off to Square Trade repair. Thank you, SquareTrade!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Administrator

It's doubtful they were ever going to service the unit. I've dealt with similar issues with warranty repair after buying from 3rd party vendors. That's usually anyone that isn't an authorized dealer. The way the warranty is written on most devices you're excluded from warranty claims because you're not the original purchaser. The vendor you bought from has the warranty, not you.

From the Samsung Warranty page http://www.samsung.com/us/support/su...me=YP-G70C/NAW
Quote:
Samsung Galaxy Player Limited Warranty

LIMITED WARRANTY TO ORIGINAL PURCHASER
If you read the warranty fully you'll see
Quote:
...(j) Product used or purchased outside the United States.
You may have purchased the product from a US based vendor but if it wasn't designated for the US market the Amazon Marketplace vendor can't have bought it in the US. No authorized Samsung dealer would have had it in their stock to sell it there. That alone would relieve Samsung US of any warranty responsibility.

My experience wasn't with Samsung but the results have been the same. Anything that doesn't fully comply with the written warranty terms will cause a manufacturers service center to refuse warranty service.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Default Will have my eyes open in future

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
It's doubtful they were ever going to service the unit. I've dealt with similar issues with warranty repair after buying from 3rd party vendors. That's usually anyone that isn't an authorized dealer. The way the warranty is written on most devices you're excluded from warranty claims because you're not the original purchaser.
You may have purchased the product from a US based vendor but if it wasn't designated for the US market the Amazon Marketplace vendor can't have bought it in the US. No authorized Samsung dealer would have had it in their stock to sell it there. That alone would relieve Samsung US of any warranty responsibility.

My experience wasn't with Samsung but the results have been the same. Anything that doesn't fully comply with the written warranty terms will cause a manufacturers service center to refuse warranty service.
Thanks--good info for future purchases...from any company...these small gadgets can easily get around, and people like me looking for a few dollars off from a third party vendor need to be more aware.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 AM

I recently purchased a White 4.2, CW/XEU, knowing it was not for USA, because I wanted White, and only Black was made for USA. Am having a problem with the WIFI quick key as it will not work properly. If I turn it off in drop menu (quick key) it will not turn back on. The only way to turn WIFI back on is to reboot, which is a PIA.

Called Samsung Tech support, and was told to restore to factory, which did not correct the problem. The Tech person I spoke with told me Warranty is an International warranty, but it is the service centers that are causing the problem. The US center is the one refusing the EU warranty as they cannot easily get parts for EU models. According to the Tech, part numbers are different for both models, even tho they are in fact the same product.

Black was purchased as a refurb, and never had a problem. White was purchased from a third party and was NEW in sealed box. Really undecided on whether to return for refund, or keep it, and reboot whenever I need to go on WIFI, as all else is working great. Wanted the White as a backup to my Black 4.2 since the batteries are replaceable, and I use the Kindle app often.

Does anyone else here have the White EU version and using in US? Are you having any problems with it?

Thanks for any help/info provided.

Tags
battery life, galaxy player 5, samsung, warranty