android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 PM

Default Better bang for buck than Koss Porta Pro in street style headphones?

It's more than 25 years old, anyone produced a better pair of "street style" headphones since then? I can't believe if on one.

I also wanted to ask how much do you need to spend on an in-ear monitor to get the sound quality of a pair of $35 Porta Pro headphones? I know in-ear and street style are two completely different animals but still.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh there's tons, maybe too many to choose from really. Sennheiser has a few, some people generally prefer the PX100's, but I kind of prefer their HD228 for being at least somewhat closed.

Then there's cheaper alternatives like the JVC flats, which to be honest for street use/commuting are probably pretty good at least compared to most ear buds or IEMs in that price range.

As for IEMs, eh the whole isolation vs open air is going to make it difficult to compare but overall I think any cheaper sennheiser IEM is pretty decent like the CX280.

Still really like the PortaPros. I think their design and function is cool and I really like the lifetime warranty, plus the fact that you can get spare ear pads for them really easily.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM

There the Koss KSC75 which are about half the price ($15 on Amazon right now) of potrapros and have pretty much the same sound as they have the exact same titanium drivers. I have the KSC75 and I really enjoy them for exercise. Great clear sound with decent frequency extension. I haven't listened to the potrapros but I believe from what I've read that the KSC75 in comparison have a slightly less boomier base, slightly better treble, and slightly more airier/open sound do to the KSC75 more open design.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The JVC HA-S160 is the best value for a headphone at around $12 on Amazon. For an IEM, the best cheap one is the $6 JVC Riptidz.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've used the portapro, the JVC flats, and the px100. I hate the tinny sound of the portapro's.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
There the Koss KSC75 which are about half the price ($15 on Amazon right now) of potrapros and have pretty much the same sound as they have the exact same titanium drivers. I have the KSC75 and I really enjoy them for exercise. Great clear sound with decent frequency extension. I haven't listened to the potrapros but I believe from what I've read that the KSC75 in comparison have a slightly less boomier base, slightly better treble, and slightly more airier/open sound do to the KSC75 more open design.
The Porta Pro does not use titanium drivers so the KSC75 actually potentially sounds better, depending on what you like. The titanium drivers have more defined treble but the downside is that they can be a bit harsh (and have some of that 'metallic' sound signature). The Porta Pro does not have as much clarity in the treble but it has a more pleasing, bass-driven sound signature that some people prefer. Best to audition them both before buying.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
The Porta Pro does not use titanium drivers so the KSC75 actually potentially sounds better, depending on what you like. The titanium drivers have more defined treble but the downside is that they can be a bit harsh (and have some of that 'metallic' sound signature). The Porta Pro does not have as much clarity in the treble but it has a more pleasing, bass-driven sound signature that some people prefer. Best to audition them both before buying.
The KSC75 sound best when retrofitted into a headband, so they are pressed closer to the ear....when set up that way, they're easily better than the PortaPro, and also much better than in their native ear-clip form.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The JVC HA-S160 is the best value for a headphone at around $12 on Amazon. For an IEM, the best cheap one is the $6 JVC Riptidz.
Sorry, I didn't ask for the absolute cheapest, but what sounds at least as good as a PortaPro. Do you say the JVC HA-S160 sounds as good as the PortaPro for less? Okay, might be. But also $6 JVC Riptidz? Strange.

My second question was that how much money you have to spend for the same audio quality in an earbud as in a set of full headphones? Do you suggest it's half the price? I thought the exact opposite: that it'll cost you more.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 PM

Anyways: thanks for your recommendations, I'll look after 'em!

Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 AM

How about AKG K420? one of my top recommendation of affordable portable headphones.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 PM

I have not used my Porta Pros outside of my apartment and as such can not really evaluate them in that respect. I use rather IEMs because the size and background noise attenuation.

Currently my Porta Pros are stored away in a cupboard waiting for a relative or a friend who might have more use for them. I listen in a quite silent environment with low volume settings and the weakenesses of the Porta Pros are much more prominent that way. The sound seems to open up with a little more volume (highs do not sound as muffled and the bass gets better defined). Many times I have been impressed with the sound of the PPs, dropped the volume to a little more comfortable level, listened a little more, dropped the volume again, and ended being very unimpressed with the PPs.

So, for listening at low volumes, the PP is the least usable from my selection of open portable on-ear headphones . In the same weight class I prefer the PX100. Going from around 60 grams to 100, there is the above mentioned AKG K420 with clearly more hi-fi sound. I also like the Ultrasone HFI-15G when watching videos from the computer. They are the most comfortable for my head and do have a sound that is more easily imagined to come from the display. There is also the Philips SHP5401 that I got for about same price as the PPs and have much better sound. They are quite big though (and weighs about 170 grams) and I would not use them outside. For real portable use the PX100 or the K420 would get my vote. The PX100 is about the same price as the PP, the K420 is a bit more but worth it.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep mode zZ View Post
So, for listening at low volumes, the PP is the least usable from my selection of open portable on-ear headphones . In the same weight class I prefer the PX100. Going from around 60 grams to 100, there is the above mentioned AKG K420 with clearly more hi-fi sound. I also like the Ultrasone HFI-15G when watching videos from the computer. They are the most comfortable for my head and do have a sound that is more easily imagined to come from the display. There is also the Philips SHP5401 that I got for about same price as the PPs and have much better sound. They are quite big though (and weighs about 170 grams) and I would not use them outside. For real portable use the PX100 or the K420 would get my vote. The PX100 is about the same price as the PP, the K420 is a bit more but worth it.
I recently got the HFI-15G and they are hands-down better than PX100 and PortaPro. Haven't tried any AKG headphones though.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I recently got the HFI-15G and they are hands-down better than PX100 and PortaPro. Haven't tried any AKG headphones though.
I'd luv to hear those other hp's you bought,...the carbon ones.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'd luv to hear those other hp's you bought,...the carbon ones.
For those who don't know....
JVC HA-S500

I didn't compare these to the others mentioned in the thread because they are closed back and the other four I've mentioned in the thread are all open-back. But for those comfortable with a closed back headphone in portable situation, the S500 is sweet. No amp required, even my Clip Zip will power them to ear-shattering volume.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thank you sir!!!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thank you sir!!!
Just over $50 w/shipping nowadays.....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...=&startIndex=0
and they are awesome for EDM.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Just over $50 w/shipping nowadays.....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...=&startIndex=0
and they are awesome for EDM.
I'm guessing they'd be perfect for me,...like the Ultrasone's you luv.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I'm guessing they'd be perfect for me,...like the Ultrasone's you luv.
It's very possible. And they'll fit even us big-headed guys.

Tags
riptidz