android
Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Lets be honest here, smartphones are now equal in sq to most portable audio playing devices. And the battery life has majorly improved in some instances. The Motorola Droid RAZR devices are just one example.

PMP's are dead, replaced by the Android players most companies are releasing. The exception seems to be Cowon, who keep releasing outdated garbage in a last ditch effort to grab as much cash as they can before all their once loyal customers abandon them. Samsung & Sony are going Android as well,...as we all know.

There are still the lower end players, such as Sansa & some Sony players,...those will remain. And the iPod touch (if you hate it or luv it makes no difference) will also be around for quite some time.

And the Best Buy locations around me still have a dedicated section for players, accessories, and the like for customers to browse & demo stuff. The players aren't dead yet,...but the smartphone is well equipped now to replace the standalone player. Saying they don't sound good is BS.
TDS I will agree that Smartphones are as good as most MMP's but most MMP's are not really good sounding either. For example I was wondering what to do with my HTC EVO. Sprint will give me about $25 for the damn thing in a buyback. I have several batteries for the damn thing so my though was to use it as an MMP/DAP. The Evo sounds better than my SGP and yes, with everything turned off I am getting long battery life using it as a player. I also deleted most of the apps or disabled them as well. I am only two days in my experiment the using the Phone as a DAP so the verdict is still out.

However TDS, in my area, the Mp3 department of Best Buys are getting smaller and smaller I have noticed and the selection is getting limiting.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've never bought an mp3 player instore anyway, most of the time its just not possible. I recall being excited to seeing an 'advancedmp3players' stall in the Edinburgh Ocean Terminal some 6-7yrs ago, was nice to pick up a cowon etc without having to commit to a buy first.
But almost all my ordering was websites, and I still see plenty of choice for items.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:40 AM

Haha wow, why do people have to be such nutty extremists? As in either 'ZOMG THE SKY IS FALLING' chicken littles, or head-in-the-sand types. Some time in the mid 90's the LP was declared dead. Oops. Brick and mortar shops have lost any ability to stock 'niche' items such as non apple mp3 players because of Amazon. Amazon is today's walmart. Convenient, inexpensive, easy return policies....sound familiar? As long as people have disposable incomes and want to buy new shiny things, mp3 players will be around. Honestly I was quite shocked when I looked at the HUGE selection of dedicated mp3 players on amazon. I actually asked myself "why? You only need the sansa lines anyway".

Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you believe that all you need is a Sansa then you're very closed minded.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I am surprised at all the low quality brands of mp3 players. Who is buying that stuff? How do so many low quality brands stay in business? I don't get it.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Samsung Moderator

Because too many people think price before quality.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Because too many people think price before quality.
And then on the opposite front, although in much smaller numbers, you have the "audiophiles" who think price equals quality.....

Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
And then on the opposite front, although in much smaller numbers, you have the "audiophiles" who think price equals quality.....
Except when it comes to Apple ;-)

Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I also want a low price, however I don't want worthless junk. With Sandisk players so cheap, I can't understand why anyone would buy a junky brand player.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I also want a low price, however I don't want worthless junk. With Sandisk players so cheap, I can't understand why anyone would buy a junky brand player.
They just don't know any better....

Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 PM

Sometimes people just want to save as much as possible even if it's a few bucks (I know, I live with someone who does )

Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Also, it sometimes can be difficult to even find Sansa players in actual physical stores. At my local Best Buy in a very tech.-savvy area, they are relegated to 1 or 2 spindles on a lower shelf--essentially, you have to know about them to know to get them.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And i doubt many physical stores outside USA sell them.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Also, it sometimes can be difficult to even find Sansa players in actual physical stores. At my local Best Buy in a very tech.-savvy area, they are relegated to 1 or 2 spindles on a lower shelf--essentially, you have to know about them to know to get them.
Yeah, a year or so ago I was in a Buffalo Best Buy and couldn't see any Clips. I asked an employee, and was told they aren't on display. The person had to go get the key, and then asked "what do you want?" (with a hidden "Why do you want?"). I had only wanted to know the price, which I still didn't know as I left. BTW, it was in on special that week, as I found out while reading their flyer a few minutes later.

Steve

Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Administrator

People that hang out here either forget or don't know that to the average person an mp3 player is an mp3 player. The moment you get away from here there's nothing that makes a Clip obviously different from an elcheapo off brand. Most people I've known that were interested in one would have made their choice based on price and the info on the package if I hadn't told them there are definite differences in quality.

Size matters to a lot of people. You and I might know the Clip gets decent battery life for something it's size. But if you put yourself in the place of the person that's looking at them in the store the larger player would seem to be capable of having a bigger battery so they assume it plays longer. A flashlight with a bigger battery works longer doesn't it?

The player that has the larger color screen is also going to be more appealing to most. They don't know that playing a video is going to require conversion to an oddball format using a video converter that doesn't work very well most of the time. The package says it plays video and that's good enough.

The sound quality with the stock buds is going to be pretty much the same with a beater and the better player. I've had people almost fall over when I let them listen to well encoded files with decent headphones on a Clip. Especially when they use the same headphones with the beater. They hadn't known that a portable device could sound that good. They had just assumed that lack of bass and distortion was part of portable music.

Even if you go to Amazon and check ratings some of the poor players stack up fairly well. The Clip+ has a 3.8 rating and one of the Coby's has a 3.7. The Coby is ~$23 and has the size and screen. The Clip+ is much smaller and costs ~$30. If you didn't know what you already know about the differences you could easily come to the conclusion the Coby is the better deal.

Then there's the thought that "why spend more? it's going to die anyway." I've frequently heard. Most people have no idea how badly their files are tagged or even what a tag is for that matter. That also means they have no idea that badly tagged files will cause a player to freeze up. They keep putting the crappy files on different players and they all lock up at some point. It's easy to blame the player if you don't know that fixing the files would fix the problem. I didn't know that until I came here. I just thought resetting a DAP was part of owning one.

It's the same for knowing how to reset a player, updating the firmware or checking the disc for errors. I'd bet that there's millions of DAPs either in sock drawers or landfills that a reset, fixing the tags and not disconnecting during a file transfer could have kept going for years.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Most people realize Coby is not good. I think most who aren't knowledgeable though would reach for an ipod, and if they are willing to buy something besides an ipod, they would probably buy a Sony. Unless a person knows about Sandisk players, they probably wouldn't think a Sandisk player is a high quality player. Keep in mind though that the first Sandisk mp3 player were rather bad and had poor sound quality.

It is easy to find Sandisk players, especially at Radio Shack where they are prominently displayed. Amazon is a good source for Sandisk players, and so is B&H Photo. I still don't understand Sandisk's reasoning for releasing the Clip Zip in 4GB and 8GB versions. Since flash memory is so cheap now, if it were up to me, they would be available in 4GB, 16GB, and 32GB. The 8GB doesn't make sense to me economically, now that 16GB and 32GB cards are so cheap.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 AM

the Clip + doesn't really have good battery life for its size, though, not when some smaller players get twice as long.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 AM
Administrator

I didn't say good, I said decent. I'm guessing you mean the shuffle which is about half as big and has the same 15 hr. battery rating. It's better engineered and is said to have have better components which results in better battery life, but less fully featured. It also doesn't have to power a screen which is the biggest battery killer.

I have a shuffle and for what it is I don't think it's a bad device. The sound quality is pretty decent. No hiss I can hear on any of my headphones and it's powerful enough to get them all louder than I'll listen to for more than a few seconds. My only issue with the sound is I prefer a custom EQ so I can't really get a shuffle to sound just the way I prefer.

I got mine used as part of a larger package so the price was decent. I wouldn't even have considered getting one at the retail price. It's much too limiting for the way I prefer to listen to my music.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:21 AM

Making the best choice possible, with anything, requires knowledge, and knowledge requires interest. Most people have neither, in many (or most) fields. They just worry about other stuff (which is fine).

Old 04-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It is so silly that Sandisk doesn't increase the battery life of the clip players. originally the Clip came out with 15 hour battery life to compete against the Shuffle which also has 15 hour battery life. If Sandisk would increase the battery life of the next clip player to 24 hours though, then it would be solid competition against the Nano. Increasing battery life to 24 hours probably wouldn't increase the size that much, and it probably wouldn't increase manufacturing cost that much. It would make the player so much more convenient though. They should also come out with versions of the new Clip with 16GB or with 32GB built in.