android
Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 AM

Default Replacement Cables For Panasonic RP-HJE900

Hola Folks.

Due to an unfortunate incident one channel of my cables has developed an intermittent connection problem and as the end male socket is a sealed unit It would seem that they are toast !

I would be most grateful for any information or pointers where I might be fortunate enough to pick up a replacement cable for this model ( Now discontinued ) .

Alternatively are there any manufacturers cables that use this mini socket which would save me toiling around for a genuine RP-HJE900 cable .

TVM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Replacement, compatible Sleek Audio cable ($24.99, with free shipping within the U.S.):

http://store.sleek-audio.com/catalog...lacement+Cable

Replacement Panasonic cable (around $27.54 (price is in Japanese yen) plus shipping from Japan):

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/n.../item/1481422/

Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 AM

i got the same problem (slack joint in left channel), but i wouldn't recommend either cable.

simply because of the price. the sleek audio are generally panned for their bad build quality (ontop of the steep price) and the original(?) pana cable is arguably cheeper (though way to short with 0.8m length), but still the high shipping fee from japan makes this a pretty bad deal.

don't want to hijack you thread ScaRaMooCH but is there any alternative? are their shops that make custom cables with those interconnects or whatever they're called?

i bought the panas because of the longevity (replaceable cable ;-) ) but alas, the cable wasn't as sturdy as it appeared.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
i got the same problem (slack joint in left channel), but i wouldn't recommend either cable.

simply because of the price. the sleek audio are generally panned for their bad build quality (ontop of the steep price) and the original(?) pana cable is arguably cheeper (though way to short with 0.8m length), but still the high shipping fee from japan makes this a pretty bad deal.

don't want to hijack you thread ScaRaMooCH but is there any alternative? are their shops that make custom cables with those interconnects or whatever they're called?

i bought the panas because of the longevity (replaceable cable ;-) ) but alas, the cable wasn't as sturdy as it appeared.
Umm, reviews I have read of the Sleek Audio cable generally come down on it being just fine (1-2 people had noted the shorter length of the connector, while others note that it works just fine). And do you know what the post charge is from Japan, for the Panas cable? I have a request in for the information, but it potentially is under US$10.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:55 PM

i have heard/read numerous times, that the sleek audio have rather bad build quality and break way faster than the panas and that is for a pretty high price for a replacement cable, if you ask me.

the japanese etailer says €10 shipping to germany (est.) which is app. US$13 for a small package. i don't know if that's accurate but even half of that is pretty high for an uninsured package (afaik).

i really don't know what to do, but maybe shortening the 0,8m cable a few centimeters and getting a new connector is the best way for me.

it's outrageous that they are charging $/€20+ for a product that basically has manufacturing costs well below the $1 line.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 02-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
i have heard/read numerous times, that the sleek audio have rather bad build quality and break way faster than the panas and that is for a pretty high price for a replacement cable, if you ask me.

the japanese etailer says 10 shipping to germany (est.) which is app. US$13 for a small package. i don't know if that's accurate but even half of that is pretty high for an uninsured package (afaik).

i really don't know what to do, but maybe shortening the 0,8m cable a few centimeters and getting a new connector is the best way for me.

it's outrageous that they are charging $/20+ for a product that basically has manufacturing costs well below the $1 line.
Yep--I wish that Panasonic would stand behind its product and offer replacement parts locally (that is, in various countries, rather than having to go through Japan)--this especially where the replaceablility of the cable is/was a major selling point for the buds. I received info. from the seller store today and the postage to the U.S. is a little under $20, making the cable plus shipping around $46. A bit much, and the store's "pay me" link to PayPal doesn't work . . . .

My guess is, Sleek Audio is the way to go--and I really had read positive enough things about the replacement Sleek Audio cables.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 AM

Thank you gentlemen for your advice and links .
I shall chew this over and consider putting the original pana cable under the knife , given that these are at least alternatives makes for a worst case scenario bodge job get-out .

Whilst ill-luck that they have failed perhaps its an incentive to have some ear molds taken and go for customs !