android
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM

Default MP3 With line in recording other then Cowon

A few days ago my girlfriend washed my sporting clothes, and with them my Cowon J3 32GB player Tried to revive it after I let it dry on the heater for 2 days, but no luck.

So now I have to find an other MP3 player, but to be honest I do not have the money at this time to buy a mp3 player at the same price range as the J3, so I have to find something else. (I prefer a new player above a second hand player) Music quality is a big preference.

Capacity: 16GB or 32GB. 16GB preferbly with an microSD slot.
Budget: Around €150 (about $200) but less is better.
Use: I do not watch movies on it, I listen music and I use it to record my mixing sessions I make with my pioneer gear.
Type/Design: Digital audio player, more focused on music or no video at all.
Features: Line input(!!!!), Bluetooth would be nice but it's not a real hard demand
Display: yes please, not bigger then around 3.5"
UI/Controls: Touchscreen is what I'm used to.
Battery life: Great battery life would be great, as long as I do not have the charge de player after every 15 hours.

Last edited by Bart1981; 12-28-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Here's a radical idea. Why not buy a recorder instead of a player if your main interest is line in, recording quality, and recording features? How much battery life do you need? Which formats do you need supported? How compact do you want it to be?

Old 12-29-2012, 03:04 AM

I also need the mp3 playback. It's not that I only use it for the recording. I use it more often(about 4 times a week) for listening to music while I'm in the gym. That's also why music quality is an important thing for me. So the main function is listening to music (in combination with the Future Sonics Atrio MG7 IEM) but the second function I use is the line-in recording to record my home made mixtapes. So price wise it would be better to buy one device that can do both. And that's why I should also be pretty compact (easy to take with me). At least not much bigger then the J3.

I've tried to record my track with the laptop, but that wasn't a big succes because of a distortion sound the laptop produced.

TO get back on the answers to your questions. Record quality should be around 256k. There are not much options I need. There were two on the J3 I used, and that's setting the recording quality and the input volume.

Like I said in the first post, battery life isn't a big issue, but a minimum of 15h playback would be nice...

The only brand I found that also had line in recording is iRiver. But iRiver is not really know for it's audio quality. The other one is Cowon. My backup plan is to buy a C2 4GB on ebay for around 80 euro and a 32GB class 10 Card for about 22 euro, but no matter how you look at it, it's a few steps back (worse screen, no bluetooth). So maybe there are some other devices I'm not aware of, or maybe some other options I'm not thinking about.

edit:
I managed to get my hands on a cable (tulip to minijack with ferrite core) and tried to record a short peace on my laptop and know it was completely distortion free. So the line-in function of the mp3 player now gets a less big issue.

All I need now is a mp3 player, with a good audio quality, which can handle my Atrios (the Sansa clip for example has an output which is way to low for there IEMs), preferby has bluetooth on it, a minimum of 16GB storage (preferbly more or an expansion slot, if there is an expension slot for a microSDHC card, then 4GB is also just fine), gappless playback and with a maximum of $200,00

Last edited by Bart1981; 12-29-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 AM

Did you check with Cowon support? I'm sure this wouldn't be covered under warranty but getting it fixed will probably cost less then a new player, right?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

How about getting a Sansa Clip+ in the mean time? they are cheap and have very good sound

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Sans...1439994&sr=8-2

Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM

iPod nano has recording and Bluetooth 4 but maxes out at 16Gb.