android
Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM

Lightbulb Questions on the Sony Walkman NWZ-E475 16 GB player

I am eager to buy this mp3 player, however I have some very important questions that needs to be answered if you can help me

Firstly, I am very into playlists. I want to have 20 playlists on a list on a single screen e.g:
Playlist 1
playlist 2
playlist 3
etc

Secondly, I heard there is a cap of 100 songs on each playlist, is that true? I want each playlist to not have a cap on songs preferably or at least 170 songs on a single playlists.

Thirdly, when plugged into a computer. Can I just drag songs to a folder?
Fourthly? what is the true space of this mp3 player? Is it really 16 gb?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempsgk View Post
I am eager to buy this mp3 player, however I have some very important questions that needs to be answered if you can help me

Firstly, I am very into playlists. I want to have 20 playlists on a list on a single screen e.g:
Playlist 1
playlist 2
playlist 3
etc

Secondly, I heard there is a cap of 100 songs on each playlist, is that true? I want each playlist to not have a cap on songs preferably or at least 170 songs on a single playlists.

Thirdly, when plugged into a computer. Can I just drag songs to a folder?
Fourthly? what is the true space of this mp3 player? Is it really 16 gb?
No clue on playlists.....I don't use them.

Yes, when you plug a Sony into your computer, you can drag and drop....it was that way on all 4 of the ones I have had.

The last one I had that was listed as 16GB, once I formatted the internal memory to remove the sample files(using the player's own format control), I was left with 14.7GB of actual space. I would imagine this one is similar.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Administrator

The bookmark playlists that are created on the player are limited to 100 songs. I haven't heard if that same limitation applies to playlists made using external software so I'm not certain if they're limited the same way.

They may be limited that way but that would be a major change from past Sony players. I've made playlists from the complete contents on older 16 GB Sony and all the contents played as expected. Considering some of the things I'm seeing as I look at the manual there may be a limitation like that. I'm seeing some other surprising things.

The E47x series players don't support DRM content. That was always one of Sonys strong points. There's also a way to raise the volume past the EU limit. You get a warning beep when you go above the level that's considered safe but you can still raise the volume. It drops back after 20 hours or when you turn the player off but you can raise the volume again if you prefer.

Guess that's why we aren't seeing the questions on how to get around the EU volume limit. Sony must have finally realized they were throwing away a good number of sales with the silly ass way they were doing it before.

The actual capacity of the E475 is listed as ~13.9 GB. There's additinal software that comes stored on on the player itself. From what I'm reading it's not clear if you get more space by moving that to your PC and using it from there. I know MediaGo works as stand alone software and runs from your PC so I'm guessing it doesn't need to stay on the player to work.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 PM

Can you screenshot the drag and drop? Also since you said that you can drag and drop like opening a USB stick folder in the my computers area. Can for example create a folder, rename it and it will be a playlist? Any-ways screenshot the procedure.

Also I'm very curious about that 100 songs in a playlist limitation.
The capacity of the E475 being listed as 13.9 worries me, for one I would think it uses so much space out of the 16gb for the additional software.

Last edited by Tempsgk; 02-11-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM

I have this player and will try to help. On the playlist issue, there are two types of playlists: Playlists and Bookmark Lists.

Bookmark Lists (BL) are five pre-existing playlists on the player. Each BL is limited to a maximum of 100 songs and you can edit them directly on the player (adding songs, deleting songs, and reordering the songs). You can set one BL as the default so that when you are playing a song and hit and hold the Play/Pause button the song will automatically be added to the default BL.

As previously mentioned, you can create playlists using external software (such as Media Go, MediaMonkey, Windows Media Player, and Windows Explorer). Concerning playlists, per the instruction manual:

- Maximum number of playlists: 8,192
- Maximum number of songs in each playlist: 999

I hope this helps.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM

I always thought that bookmark list and playlist is the same; so its not I guess.

How are the playlist displayed? That was one of my questions.
I want it to be displayed like this: On a list like in an Ipod.

Playlist 1
playlist 2
playlist 3
etc
Is that how the playlist is displayed?

Another one of my questions is to screenshot the procedure of adding songs via computer, not using any other external software.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Go find a Sony Walkman to try out. Then you'll have a better idea of how the player works. It's not an iPod,...the menu structure is different. I own both the iPod classic & the S639,...totally different.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Administrator

You want to see a screenshot? Open Windows Explorer, select any folder, drag it from one place to another. You've just seen what it looks like. It really is that simple.

Don't believe it? Here's a link to the Help Guide http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...=3#/manualsTab . Check page 53. Please note the title,
Quote:
Transferring contents using Windows Explorer

You can directly transfer data by drag-and-drop using Windows Explorer on your computer.
There's a few things I've said I'm not sure about because I don't have this particular model. Whether or not it's possible to use this without additional software isn't one of those things.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You want to see a screenshot? Open Windows Explorer, select any folder, drag it from one place to another. You've just seen what it looks like. It really is that simple.
Yeah I want to see the screenshot, I don't doubt you. More specifically I want to know the structure of the folders, e.g what are the folders in the sony when I open it via windows explorer, is there a folder for bookmark list? playlists?a folder where it keeps the mp3 software? etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Go find a Sony Walkman to try out. Then you'll have a better idea of how the player works. It's not an iPod,...the menu structure is different. I own both the iPod classic & the S639,...totally different.
Thanks for the tip, but you need to realise why I am posting in this forum. If I was able to find and try out a sony walkman, a lot of questions will be answered but sadly its hard to find a testable sony, specifically a NWZ-e47 series in shops in the UK.

Quote:
Don't believe it? Here's a link to the Help Guide http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...=3#/manualsTab . Check page 53. Please note the title,
Thanks for the link to the help guide, it will answer many more of my questions.
And actually I already answered all my questions from my first post. (So looks like this topic will come to a end, nice for all of you to assist me)

(This page answered my Playlist question: For reference )
There is One question on this post I want someone to answer if they have a Sony NWZ-E475, but its not that important.

Last edited by Tempsgk; 02-13-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempsgk View Post
I always thought that bookmark list and playlist is the same; so its not I guess.

How are the playlist displayed? That was one of my questions.
I want it to be displayed like this: On a list like in an Ipod.

Playlist 1
playlist 2
playlist 3
etc
Is that how the playlist is displayed?

Another one of my questions is to screenshot the procedure of adding songs via computer, not using any other external software.
After I made my previous post, I realized that I have a slightly different player from yours, an NWZ-E465 not an NWZ-E475. I checked the instruction book for your player and it didn't list the maximum number of playlists and songs per playlist you can put on your player. I apologize for any confusion.

As far as how the playlists are displayed, the Bookmark Lists are displayed on my player as follows:

Bookmark List 1
Bookmark List 2
Bookmark List 3
Bookmark List 4
Bookmark List 5

Bookmark Lists that contain songs are displayed in bold text, while empty Bookmark Lists are not. On my player the playlists are displayed alphabetically by name (the name I gave each playlist) and each screen lists eight playlists.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 AM

Update: Just bought it and received it at my doorstep. All you said is pretty much correct. I have to say its a pretty good purchase, though I have a few tiny issues with it since I use to own an Ipod and is kind off different in user interface.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Default No album art on nwz-e475

i cant get this unit to show album art from my library Album art has transsferred onto every other device ive ever downloaded it to If I buy new music from amazon the art is displayed Whats up with the nwz=e475 Does sony want me to rebuy my music

Old 06-03-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrlydave83 View Post
i cant get this unit to show album art from my library Album art has transsferred onto every other device ive ever downloaded it to If I buy new music from amazon the art is displayed Whats up with the nwz=e475 Does sony want me to rebuy my music
One thing I've found with my Walkman players is that the album art must be embedded in the MP3's ID3 tag as the front cover for it to consistently display on my player. With the music I've purchased from Amazon.com that is the way they handle the album art on the downloadable music they sell.

I use MediaMonkey to manage my music library and to load my music on my player. I've set it up to handle album art in that way and due to that I've had little trouble with album art displaying on my players.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 AM

I recently purchased this player and am a little disappointed to find out that the software is not Mac compatible. I did a fair bit of research before buying it (had my previous Sony player for 6 years and absolutely loved it until the screen died recently) and nowhere did I find anything to suggest the software wouldn't work with a Mac. I must not have looked hard enough, clearly!

My question: do you need to 'unpack' the software on a PC first? I tried dragging and dropping a track or two from a Mac but it didn't put the track into any kind of order (unkwown artist etc).

I've found the whole process really frustrating: 6 years worth of files transferred to Sonicstage in OMA format which are now rendered useless (not exactly smart from Sony to make the files incompatible with future players), and a player that won't even allow me to begin the process of re-uploading 100+ CDs to a Mac in order to transfer.

Any help on getting tracks onto the player via a Mac would be gratefully received....

Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

The software provided shouldn't be needed. If you drag and drop your files into the Music folder the player should find them and add them to it's database. The Windows directions for drag and drop for should be just about the same.

IIRC you should see a drive letter instead of a player symbol on a Mac. Open that drive and drop your files into the Music folder and they should work.

You should be able to use iTunes to rip your discs. I don't have the same model as you but iTunes encoded MP3 and AAC files should work just fine for me. If you no longer have the original discs I think you can use Sonic Stage to burn the OMA files to disc and then rip those. There's going to be a loss in quality but you may or may not be able to hear it. The only way to check that I know is to give it a try.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks very much for the reply, happy to be here

I will give it a go in the manner you suggest and drag files into the Music folder. The only worry I have is the 'Unknown artist' issue I've seen in the brief 1/2 tracks I uploaded so far, and the fear it might not allow me to properly file and order songs by artist/title/genre etc. I'll investigate further and report back.

The OMA files all (or mostly) come from burnt CDs collected over the years. I found a tool on Sony's site to convert such files to MP3s, but it only worked for about 10% of them, leaving a huge amount of tracks stuck in OMA format. I can't see any other solution than to re-burn all the CDs onto the new Mac via Itunes...?

Quote:
Welcome to ABi

The software provided shouldn't be needed. If you drag and drop your files into the Music folder the player should find them and add them to it's database. The Windows directions for drag and drop for should be just about the same.

IIRC you should see a drive letter instead of a player symbol on a Mac. Open that drive and drop your files into the Music folder and they should work.

You should be able to use iTunes to rip your discs. I don't have the same model as you but iTunes encoded MP3 and AAC files should work just fine for me. If you no longer have the original discs I think you can use Sonic Stage to burn the OMA files to disc and then rip those. There's going to be a loss in quality but you may or may not be able to hear it. The only way to check that I know is to give it a try.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Oh - one other thing I forgot to mention: using the drag and drop format I presume precludes you from being able to add album art? Not essential but would be nice to have, if possible....

Old 11-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Anytime you see "Unknown" it means the tags the database need to identify the properties of the file are missing. Those tags are what the Sony reads during the database refresh to display the information more than just file names.

I can't say iTunes on the Mac will write those tags but it does in Windows. When I open the Get Info context menu and alter any of the information iTunes writes tags that my Sony reads properly. If it does the same on a Mac that should set the tags for you.

AFAIK that should work also for displaying album art. Sonys need for the aa to be embedded in the file to display it. When I use the Get Info context menu and paste a .jpg into that then save it gets embedded and shows on my Sony. It shows on your PC because iTunes maintains a database that it uses to display album art on the PC\Mac. Until it's embedded it won't display on the Sony.

The jpg needs to be non-progressive and I keep the file size fairly small. It can't display any wider than the largest dimension of the screen so I usually use a 200x200 px file that's no larger than ~48 kB. I find that large enough to give a good display and not take up too much space. The jpg file gets embedded in every file and using large images can eat up a lot of space.

Not being a Mac user I can't give exact directions on how to get iTunes do do what you need. The few times I've used a Mac to deal with music files I didn't notice any significant differences from the Windows version so I believe what I've said here should point you in the right direction.