android
Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 AM

Default A player to replace a broken Clip Zip?

So the headphone port on my Clip Zip has gone faulty (annoyingly shortly after the one year warranty has expired) and keeps losing audio on the left channel. I've tried a few different headphones and it's definitely the player at fault.

So I'm looking for something reasonably cheap to replace it. I've been looking at the Sansa Clip+, which is available on Amazon for about 35 for the 8GB model.

I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations that may be better for around the same price (let's say 50 maximum).

Something with a micro SD card slot would be preferable (I currently have a 32GB card in the broken Clip Zip), but not necessarily a deal breaker. The ability to install Rockbox would also be a huge plus.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 AM

I don't know of anything in that price range that is even close. Get the Clip+. I have one and I prefer it to the Clip Zip that I used to have. They are perfect little players for the price.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 AM

Here's a good one on head-fi classifieds right now (and comes with a 32gb micro sd card!):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/651925/sans...-32-gb-microsd

Might be worth a look...

Old 02-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For use with Rockbox the Clip Zip is much better than the Clip+, as the Clip zip has a larger screen. For use without Rockbox, the Clip+ is much better, as more song information is displayed, and the battery charge icon is much easier to see on the Clip+ when the display is set to low brightness.

I still don't understand why people would pay around $28 more for an 8GB Clip+ or Clip Zip than a 4GB one. One can buy two 4GB Clip+ players for around the price of one 8GB one. Imo two 4GB Clip+ players are so much more useful than one 8GB one. For one thing, they give more battery life. The second 4GB Clip+ could also hold a 32GB card.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post

I still don't understand why people would pay around $28 more for an 8GB Clip+ or Clip Zip than a 4GB one. One can buy two 4GB Clip+ players for around the price of one 8GB one. Imo two 4GB Clip+ players are so much more useful than one 8GB one. For one thing, they give more battery life. The second 4GB Clip+ could also hold a 32GB card.
Now that the microsd cards are so cheap, I am starting to agree with you. With 32GB cards being around $20, I can't possibly see why anyone would buy a smaller card.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Now that the microsd cards are so cheap, I am starting to agree with you. With 32GB cards being around $20, I can't possibly see why anyone would buy a smaller card.
And I've seen deals for the 64gb cards for around $45 lately. One of the main reasons I don't care how much internal storage a sansa player comes with anymore. As long as it has enough to hold rockbox

Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, prices on the cards has dropped so much it's unnecessary to buy the higher capacity devices nowadays.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
For use with Rockbox the Clip Zip is much better than the Clip+, as the Clip zip has a larger screen. For use without Rockbox, the Clip+ is much better, as more song information is displayed, and the battery charge icon is much easier to see on the Clip+ when the display is set to low brightness.
I'm a bit surprised. I kind of assumed that the screen size wouldn't make that much difference (I mean, I know in lists you won't be able to see as many lines, but that seems minor) - is there something I'm missing? The Clip Zip has a pretty low res screen anyway.

Quote:
Here in the UK, the 8GB is 5-10 more than the 4GB. Whilst I have all my music stored on a 32GB card, I'd still rather pay a little extra for the 8GB.