android
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 AM

A lot of discussion about battery life of late.
I don't really have time to do benchmarks, but I get the impression that the battery lasts ok (given the age of my R0) but the recharging seems to take longer. Last weekend I ran out of power so I charged it for about 3 hours on the computer. When I turned it back it was on little more than 25% and lasted about 5 minutes (faulty USB cable perhaps)! So then I left it to charge all night (direct on the mains) last Sunday, and a week later I'm on 41% having used it for an hour to an hour and a half nearly every day since (Flacs & MP3s). That would put my battery life roughly at 10 hours (gulp!)
So perhaps you need to check not only on battery consumption but battery charging too.
Also is it not possible to turn the display off when charging and have an indication of battery charge (that can be turned on at the press of the button) whilst charging in order to know when to unplug (a bit like the OF)?
A bit off topic has anyone given thought to changing the battery (now that we know how , thanks Lebellium) and how to go about it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appick View Post
A bit off topic has anyone given thought to changing the battery (now that we know how , thanks Lebellium) and how to go about it?
To replace the battery you need some soldering skills and money....
As the battery is directly soldered to the main board, it's not easily user-replaceable and it's very hard to find as spare part. Actually you can only find it here (authorized distributor): http://www.suppliesnow.nl/product-gm43-01003a.htm €35 + shipping costs...

It's cheaper to find another R0. For example I bought a 4GB R0 for €20 on ebay a few days ago. I now have 5 R0

Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 AM

Please update the link "Download the modded firmware 2.30" in 1st post (FAQ).

Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Samsung Moderator

I don't remember who uploaded it. Lorenzo?

BTW, why do you want fw 2.30? I don't see any reason to prefer it over v2.51.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:20 PM

Just wanted to test the 2.30. May be someone have this version,give a link,please.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 AM

It's outdated. I consider it deprecated. If you state a concrete reason, you're welcome

@Appick: indeed. in any case the problem is related to charging, not power consumption...I'm working on R1 port and doing lot of code cleanup and merging. In the meantime I'll try to fix that too

Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 AM

Yes, i can confirm that is probably a usb-charging issue (that doesn't occur in all conditions), but i'm no longer so sure about a kernel/modules issue. I'm starting to look rockbox code but i don't understand very much in it.. I'm also started to work with USB (using Lorenzo's code and my script inside the ROM) and sometimes it work.. but it's very unstable, not usable.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM

I found a strange bug. Periodic switching of the stereo channels (reversing. Music from the right channel plays in the left channel headphones. and also left go to right. channels are swapped). Frequency of ~3-5 track or about 20 minutes. With any mp3 on mmc or media0 (other formats are not tested)

If modify the file /mnt/media1/rockbox_loader.sh to run Rockbox from a SDcard, the frequency is reduced to 4-6 minutes.

Can someone confirm this?

plugin/demos/oscilloscope shows the signal in the right channel when the sound in headphones swapped.

in attach "test file. white noise in the right channel" . and modifyed rockbox_loader.sh

2.51 dualboot(when RB), LRv4.6FX, LRv4.6B5
Attached Files
File Type: zip test_and_loader.zip (4.15 MB, 0 views)

Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottogrey View Post
I found a strange bug. Periodic switching of the stereo channels (reversing. Music from the right channel plays in the left channel headphones. and also left go to right. channels are swapped). Frequency of ~3-5 track or about 20 minutes. With any mp3 on mmc or media0 (other formats are not tested)

If modify the file /mnt/media1/rockbox_loader.sh to run Rockbox from a SDcard, the frequency is reduced to 4-6 minutes.

Can someone confirm this?

plugin/demos/oscilloscope shows the signal in the right channel when the sound in headphones swapped.

in attach "test file. white noise in the right channel" . and modifyed rockbox_loader.sh

2.51 dualboot(when RB), LRv4.6FX, LRv4.6B5
Known bug. Thanks for confirmation. This is due to the Linux driver I guess, and happens only at 200 MHz, which rockbox uses most of the times while OF stays at 532 MHz forever thus woking fine. Lebellium said they had fixed this problem in version 1.22 but regarding 532 mhz only I guess, I could eventually give a look at bus frequencies,
plugin/demos/oscilloscope correctly behaves since the problem appear in the audio driver, not rockbox.

Last edited by Lorenz092; 02-19-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Samsung Moderator

A bit off-topic but here is my updated R0 collection

Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM

DATA LOSS!!

RB sometimes crashes, wiping the data card. Most of my tunes are FLACs. Sometimes it wipes a whole folder, sometimes the entire memory card.

Also, the loader doesn't work when charging - there's no option screen to choose which firmware boots. The crashing / data loss may also be related to being on charge (it's usually on charge now as the battery only lasts a few hours).

It's a 32gb card, if that matters.. only crashes under RB, not R0 app..

Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 AM

@MrVibrating:
Try a fsck.vfat/scandisk/chkdsk on the microSD. RB probably crashes because the directory/file tree or structure is corrupted.
Make sure to always unmount or safely remove all partition from PC.
It doesn't wipe the data card, but Linux kernel is just trying to fix the filesystem issues on the your SD card.
You can simply recover all data with a "fat/ntfs recovery tool" with windows or with DD and an hex edtior in Linux.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM

Has someone of you ever achieved more than 3 bars in radio?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Samsung Moderator

With my theme, 3 bars out of 6 you mean?

Actually, the native signal strengh format in Rockbox is dBu. But for my theme I chose a graphical representation with 6 bars instead, which is easier to understand than a dBu figure. But that's specific to my theme and some others, that's not Rockbox

I already reached 4 bars in Berlin if I remember well but where in live now, in Paris suburbs, it never go over 3 bars, signal quality is too poor^^

Last edited by lebellium; 03-25-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Yes, I meant your theme so theoretically are 5 or 6 bars ever achievable?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Samsung Moderator

Theoretically 6 bars are achievable but not really as you'll understand:

According to the UI simulator the signal strength range is from 0 to 75dBu
The code/tag to display the current signal strength is: %tr
My code is %?tr<%xd(Va)|%xd(Vb)|%xd(Vc)|%xd(Vd)|%xd(Ve)|%xd(V f)>
That means that I ask it to divide the signal strength into 6 parts and to display a different picture for each part. So theoretically 75dBu should be divided by 6, which equals 12.5.
So the 1st bar should display from 0 to 12.5dBu, then the 2nd bar should display from 12.5 to 25dBu etc etc until the 6th bar from 62.5dBu to 75dBu.

In reality it seems to be different. For example for 31dBu it displays only 2 bars while according to my code that should be 3 bars. For 41dBu it displays 3 bars while that should be already 4 bars.

That means that the signal strength tag doesn't divide into 6 equal parts and that it is currently almost impossible to get 6 bars unless you get 100% signal strength (which never happens in real life I think).

I'll ask the Rockbox devs if it's intended behavior for this tag or if it's like a bug.

edit: I opened a bug ticket here: http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/...ened&sort=desc

Last edited by lebellium; 03-27-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Samsung Moderator

Ok forget the previous post, it was my mistake.

It's not a bug but intended behavior. After 1 year and half theming I finally understood how conditional tags work

You can find new version 1.67 of my theme here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...767#post633767

I tried the new theme with fixed code in Paris today (well... not with the R0 but with the Sansa Clip Zip, that's the same actually) and I confirm all 6 bars are now reachable!

What I noticed on the Clip Zip (should be about the same on R0)
23-34 dBu = 3 bars
35-45 dBu = 4 bars
46-57 dBu = 5 bars
58-70 dBu = 6 bars
(I displayed dBu in the theme only for test/debug purpose, you won't see it)

Here is the proof (without cheating) that 6 bars is now reachable if the signal strength is very high:

Thanks you Martus0, I now have 8 Rockbox themes to update! Thank you very much for giving me so much work to do! -_-

Last edited by lebellium; 03-28-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:10 AM

Haha you're welcome lebellium Great that this has been solved

Old 04-18-2013, 05:11 PM

Omg, looks like I broke my second r0 Now it doesn't connect to pc in a proper way, it just behaves like usb charger was connected. Safe mode doesn't detect any connection too. Of course I guess I can still use microSD but it's not very comfortable for me
Looks like R0 isn't very stable physically when being constantly used outdoors considering Russian weather

Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predelnik View Post
Looks like R0 isn't very stable physically when being constantly used outdoors considering Russian weather
I don't see any other explanation since this issue only happens to you

That's a shame though, sorry dude

Tags
r0, rockbox, samsung yp-r0