android
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 PM

Default Sounds great, but I need it louder. Any advice?

This mp3 player sounds great!.

I listen to 70's heavy & 80's thrash.
I dont need much bass for this type of music.

Is there a download or amp to make this louder?
Maybe headphones?
My headphones are the (lifetime warranty) Koss.

Thanks for reading,
Gena

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you live in the EU it's volume capped. You need to set the player to a different region,...USA perhaps. So, what is your country of origin?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM

USA I bought it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Administrator

You could the put the player in MSC Mode and delete the PARAM.CFG file you'll find in the System folder. That will reset the player and then pick any other region except Europe during the new setup. That way you can be certain the EU volume limit isn't in place.

Koss make a number of headphones. Some of them like the KSC 75 are fairly quiet. If you let us know which model yours are someone may be able to suggest some that are louder.

If you use mp3 files you can increase their volume by using the software MP3Gain. It can increase the volume by applying changes to the audio information in the files. It also adds tags to the files so the changes can be losslessly reversed if you ever care to reduce the the files are played in the future.

MP3Gained files will be louder on every player you use them with because the changes are to the files not just a tag added that tells the player to adjust the volume. Files adjusted that way play louder even on players like the i9 that don't make use of Replaygain tags.

I haven't tried it but it may be possible to go into the equalizer settings and boost all of them evenly. An across the board increase may be able to increase the volume without adding the extra bass you say you don't want.

If none of that does what you want you can pick up a portable amp like the Fiio E6. That will give a 6 dB increase and shouldn't introduce any extra bass unless you turn on it's bass boost feature.

Now for the nanny lecture. If you want you can stop reading right now because this is the warning about "you're making yourself deaf" you probably don't want to hear. Doesn't matter if you want to hear it or not, I'm going to say it anyway.

The Cowon i9 is the loudest player I own. Not a lot louder but definitely louder. I don't usually listen to it at more than half volume for more than a few minutes. That's in a good part because I know what continuous listening at the levels it can put out will damage my hearing. Not "might" damage my hearing. It most definitely will damage my hearing if I crank it up and leave it.

Nanny lecture complete, I'm not going to say anymore on that. Protecting your hearing is a personal matter you can find lots more about if you care. Me trying to push that at you isn't going to get you to turn it down if that's not want you want to do.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:17 AM

If it's not what they ^^ said, what is the impedance of your headphones or make and model? To be honest, anything above 18 for extended period of time on this player kills my ears. I can normally listen to this player around 12 to 14 volume setting.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-14-2013, 11:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You could the put the player in MSC Mode and delete the PARAM.CFG file you'll find in the System folder.
How do I put the player in MSC mode? Ive never messed with inside programs.
That will reset the player and then pick any other region except Europe during the new setup. That way you can be certain the EU volume limit isn't in place.

Koss make a number of headphones. Some of them like the KSC 75 are fairly quiet. If you let us know which model yours are someone may be able to suggest some that are louder.
They cost 20 bucks, the only reason I got them was life warranty. Many of my headphones have shorted out right where the earpiece & wire meet.
Any suggestions?

If you use mp3 files you can increase their volume by using the software MP3Gain. It can increase the volume by applying changes to the audio information in the files. It also adds tags to the files so the changes can be losslessly reversed if you ever care to reduce the the files are played in the future.

MP3Gained files will be louder on every player you use them with because the changes are to the files not just a tag added that tells the player to adjust the volume. Files adjusted that way play louder even on players like the i9 that don't make use of Replaygain tags.
Will MP3Gained do my whole archive? Sounds safer than messing with the programs in player.

I haven't tried it but it may be possible to go into the equalizer settings and boost all of them evenly. An across the board increase may be able to increase the volume without adding the extra bass you say you don't want.
Yes, they are cranked. lol

If none of that does what you want you can pick up a portable amp like the Fiio E6. That will give a 6 dB increase and shouldn't introduce any extra bass unless you turn on it's bass boost feature.
I hope you know, Im copy & pasting all these great suggestions.

Now for the nanny lecture. If you want you can stop reading right now because this is the warning about "you're making yourself deaf" you probably don't want to hear. Doesn't matter if you want to hear it or not, I'm going to say it anyway.

The Cowon i9 is the loudest player I own. Not a lot louder but definitely louder. I don't usually listen to it at more than half volume for more than a few minutes. That's in a good part because I know what continuous listening at the levels it can put out will damage my hearing. Not "might" damage my hearing. It most definitely will damage my hearing if I crank it up and leave it.
If what you say is true, it might be the phones then?

Nanny lecture complete, I'm not going to say anymore on that. Protecting your hearing is a personal matter you can find lots more about if you care. Me trying to push that at you isn't going to get you to turn it down if that's not want you want to do.
Ok, dad.
I promise when my headphones are in you wont hear "Voodoo Chile" from across the room.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The ksc75's are really low volume. Try the JVC flats, available on Amazon.com at a really great price. There's no lifetime warranty, but the sq and volume will get you hooked.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=JVC+HAS160

Besides, the cost to ship the hp's back to any company, especially when they cost so little, makes it not worth it.