android
Old 06-08-2010, 01:47 AM

Default Replacing the TRRS Plug on my phone headset

I am currently trying to replace the plug on my headset for my blackberry.

I bought a replacement trrs plug and cut the wires out of the plastic. As shown in the diagram below, the wire colors are blue, red, green, copper, and a red and copper twist.

I found a diagram that says that the headset plug from the tip to the sleeve is left, right, ground, then mic.

So far, after testing, I found out that i get audio out of my right earphone if i put green/blue on B and blue/green on C. I get another channel of audio if i put green/blue on A and blue/green on C. I also get audio if i put green/blue on B and blue/green on A.

I don't know which of the A,B,C,D corresponds to tip, ring, ring, and sleeve. I could not find a datasheet anywhere. I also don't know what the wires correspond to. I believe the untwisted copper wire is ground, the red is MIC, the twisted copper/red is MIC BUTTON, and the red and blue are speakers. I must be wrong though since I cannot get audio out of one of my speakers. I also find it strange that when I was testing, I could switch around the green and blue wires.

Any advice? Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 AM

I believe pinout is like I wrote below, but I don't know your color codes.

Tip - left audio
Ring 1 (closest to tip) - right audio
Ring 2 - ground
Sleeve – microphone

Why not email blackberry tech support for their color code.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-08-2010, 02:16 PM

Actually, I dont know what a,b,c,and d are. Is d the sleeve? is c the tip?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 PM

Sorry I don't have a diagram of TRRS, check this diagram of TRS, but this should help.

Edit: hard for me to tell from your picture, but read here from Wikipedia, read can help as well.

Edit 2: I found this on the net, test and see if it's ok http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WsDVbTjjTE.../ipodschem.jpg

Last edited by WalkGood; 06-08-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Sorry I don't have a diagram TRRS of check this diagram of TRS, but this should help.

Edit: hard for me to tell from your picture, but read here from Wikipedia, read can help as well.

Edit 2: I found this on the net, test and see if it's ok http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WsDVbTjjTE.../ipodschem.jpg
That is a diagram of TRS by the way. Also the ipodschem.jpg is broken or something. All i see are a bunch of lines.
A better picture is shown below. As you can see, the four flanges on the inside are layered one on top of another with the largest one being the sleeve I assume. Unfortunately, I'm still confused which ones are the tip and rings. I assume the innermost layer is the tip, then ring, then ring, then sleeve but that could be wrong.

Also, I don't know what to do with that 5th wire. There are only four places to solder things. I don't know why there is an extra wire.

Last edited by WalkGood; 06-08-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 PM

Apologies, I noticed my mistake as I was in a rush and mistyped post, but have edited it. If you have a multimeter it’s easy to trace which tip, ring, ring, sleeve leg is which. I looked and haven’t found a diagram of TRRS to give you, only gave you the TRS so you could get an idea.

Edit: I found this you might want to look at http://geekspeak.org/blog/2008/08/12...e-headset-plug

Old 06-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestion on the multimeter. I finally found it! So by using the resistance measuring function I just put the probes at the points and saw which returned a value and got the conclusion below. Unfortunately, this doesn't help me because I came to that conclusion with common sense before I found my micrometer (the inside goes to tip, less inside means closer to sleeve).

I soldered blue to tip, green to ring1, and copper to ring2. However, this did nothing. I then removed blue from ring 1 and if I touch blue with ring 2, sound comes from my right earbud.

So now I don't know what the next step might be. What are the basic troubleshooting methods I should use when detecting what the wires are? For instance, do the ear-buds work if i don't connect ground to anything? If so, any educated guesses from my previous tests on the blue and green wires what they might be?

I assume the untwisted copper cable must be ground. But I soldered that to ring2 and it didn't really do much. Does it work if I put the ground on ring 2 and then test the other wire on ring 1 and tip? The link you gave me states that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle's blog View Post
Well, that is because when you short out the microphone (the sleeve) to the ground ( Ring b ) you can pause the audio. The switch built into this Monster and into the original iPhone headphones does just that, it shorts out the microphone and ground.
That says to me that the copper and red wire twisted together is the short for ground and MIC which would make red the MIC. But I don't know how to test this hypothesis.

Any troubleshooting advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:54 PM

Well, I fixed it. I had to grind open my old plug to see the wiring which is shown below. The button unfortunately no longer works. Oh well.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:46 PM

Default Rewiring Etymotic hf2 earphones - wiring colours

I found the solution for which colour wire to connect to which terminal for Etymotic hf2 earphones. (It seems the colour coding is different for different earphones).:
Copper stranded - to the tip
Red - to second ring
Blue - to 3rd ring
Twisted - to 4th ring

I now have the correct stereo image and the button on the the cable, part of the microphone assembly works my iPhone music player (pause/play etc) and the microphone works on phone calls.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM

I just replaced 3.5mm 4 conductor plug (TRRS) in my NuForce NE-700M.
Connector:

I was based on the schematics:
1)

source: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1415791

2)

source: http://benttronics.blogspot.com/2009...podiphone.html

Inside cable I found 5 wires. I soldered them to plug in this way:
1 - green
2 - red
3 - copper stranded (Common/GND headphones) + blue (Common/GND microphone)
4 - copper shielded

Everything works perfectly including microphone/pilot at my iPod Touch/iPhone.
I hope it will be helpful in the future.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM

I'm hoping you guys can help me, as I'm still learning here and have looked all over: I have an iPhone 5 that obviously requires a 3.5mm TRRS plug. Meanwhile, I have a mono gaming headset (utilizes both left & right speakers) with a boom mic, and has a female 2.5mm TRS jack for connections. I've tried using a couple different 2.5mm TRS headset to 3.5mm TRRS iPhone adapters, including this one, but the result always is that I can hear the incoming audio from the iPhone on the headset, but the iPhone continues to use its built-in speakerphone microphone instead of the boom mic on the gaming headset.

I suspect this is happening because although the TRRS plug is making contact inside the iPhone, the TRS connection on the other side isn't terminating the iPhone mic properly. I assume I would need to construct a cable that has a 3.5mm TRRS male on one end, and a 2.5mm TRS male on the other end, but I'm not clear on what the connections need to be. (again apologies in advance, as I'm still learning).

Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 PM

Default Problem solved!

Never mind -- problem solved.

Some folks online recommended I try kVconnection.com, as they specialize in making various adapters for whatever need you might have.
I first ordered their listed 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, which is compatible with various smartphones including iPhones. But once I received the part, it too exhibited the same behavior. So I called their tech support, and they were very willing to help troubleshoot the problem I was having.

Thinking perhaps it was a problem with the adapter they sent me, they immediately sent out a replacement unit. Two days later I plugged in the replacement adapter, but again the same issue: my iPhone was still utilizing the internal speakerphone mic instead of my headset’s boom mic.

I again called the guys at kVconnection.com, and they said this problem was perhaps due to my gaming headset's impedance level. They said they would make a custom adapter that would be modified to force the microphone impedance detection, and they would send it to me that same day for me to test out.

Upon receiving the custom 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, I plugged it in… success! After weeks of hunting for a solution, I was finally able to use the boom mic of my gaming headset.

I though I’d share this story, given the challenge I had in finding a proper solution. Should you have a similar issue with your smartphone (and unless you wish to construct your own), here’s a direct link to this custom item, which isn’t on their site menus:
http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/009-733.htm

A very responsive and customer-friendly vendor too.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:35 AM

hello guys. i know the topic is old and all, but i need some help. i need to connect a mono microphone to an android phone. you'll tell me to read the forum name, i know, i know. but i found out that motorola have the same scheme as iphone, so i think it's okay. anyway, can you guys help me? thanks a lot.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 PM

Smile wires

i was reading all over the net and have had zero luck finding anything close to relevant, i have a pair of beyerdynamic mmx ie 101 headphones and i broke the jack so i picked up a new trrs jack to replace with but i'm not clear on the correct wire orientation and was hoping that may be someone would be able to assist me ? i would be forever grateful so thanking any and all in advance for help !