android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 02-09-2013, 06:19 PM

Help Hello everyone (Read Farnsworth-y), suggestion for a Cowon player

Hello people of ABI, I've read ABI lots of times now for many different reasons, you people seem to be reasonable and kind of like a big family (I like that a lot )
Still lets cut to the chase, i'd like to try a cowon mp3 player, the only unfortunate note is that i can't seem to find a j3 anywhere (from italy)
Suggestions? It's not about money, but the how whole thing holds up, until now, i've seen i10s (seems they are prone to get busted on the touchpad) c2s (seems they brick, a lot.) x9s (not a single thing found, i mean really nothing, are there people who actually own the thing? at all?) i9s (a black hole of user interfacing)
Please, don't take this as a rant, i've only reported what I read here, i do know they are supposed to have stellar quality (smile putting, not spec'd audiofool like)
Anyway, in short: help requested, thank you for your time and patience.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Redneck Moderator

Your best luck would be looking for a J3 on a classifieds here at ABi, Head-fi, or a similar location. You will probably have to get it shipped internationally. If the seller isn't willing to ship internationally you could ship it to my location in the USA and I could ship it out to you.

And yes, Cowon is one of those companies that are the best and also the worst. They have been like that since they first began making DAP's and PMP's.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 PM

Sorry but i've pretty much given up on that specific model, isn't there anything else nice they make? I just want music with a bang, i couldn't care less for games or video gimmicks

nice things i like:
-sd slot (not fundamental but really appreciated)
-nice audio
-battery in double digits (possibly days!!) -yes i'm looking at you "audiophiles" POS...-
-usable ui, i'm not too fond of touchscreens but i could do with one (maybe with a couple of buttons if possible for pocket control\bed time) as long as it's not of an abysmal quality (touching wise)
i apologise in advance if i come off as arrogant or similar, it's not my intention, i truly do appreciate the time and the attention i'm being given

Last edited by skip252; 02-09-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: posts merged, please edit consecutive posts instead of multi-posting

Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Why a Cowon? If you've decided they all have a fatal flaw, why bother? Despite what you may have heard they don't sound any better than any other quality player once you turn off the BBE effects and volume match them.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my i9 and don't have a problem recommending one. The UI was a bitch to learn but now that I have I feel it was worth the effort. I figure the C2 can't be any worse so I have it on my short list.

That's not because I'm under any illusion the C2 sounds any better. I'm thinking about it because the prices here have become reasonable and the expansion slot and battery life would make it fit the way I prefer to use my music on the go.

That's how I make my decisions on which DAP to get. I assume that the sound quality will be pretty much the same as long as the player isn't broken in some way. I understand thet there will be differences once any effects are used but the base SQ should remain consistent between players. That frees me up to shop features like the UI and battery life.

I've put together a collection of really good sounding players I enjoy using doing it that way. I think if I keep making my decisions using that criteria any players I may buy in the future should fit right in.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM

Actually i was trying to be reassured, i can deal with quirks and perks once i figure them out.
I say Cowon because I'm interested in new things, that I've never tried, take a clip+ for example, who in their right mind would ever think anything other than "cheap Chinese steal" that will explode after the first charge, let alone sound linearity...

I collect, I'm that guy, i obsess easily, once it's headphones, then it's mp3 player, then it's smartphones, then it's laptop, you may see the pattern...

Again, I love what i got over time but like any other techy kid on the block, i want more to try out, that easy.

Shifting back to the original point, I did see the C2 and I'm quite interested, it's got pretty much what i'd like on a player, except the UI theme but that can be arranged differently (The Hulk memeber here did it "puny mp3 no work! HULK SMASH! or in this case, rearranges UI")
Do you know something about the X9?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ugh,...me gots headache now,... Just go get a C2. The X9 ain't got nothing on it.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 AM

Aye aye Captain.
(Sorry for the headache)

Old 02-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanz View Post
...I say Cowon because I'm interested in new things, that I've never tried, take a clip+ for example, who in their right mind would ever think anything other than "cheap Chinese steal" that will explode after the first charge, let alone sound linearity...

I collect, I'm that guy, i obsess easily, once it's headphones, then it's mp3 player, then it's smartphones, then it's laptop, you may see the pattern...

Again, I love what i got over time but like any other techy kid on the block, i want more to try out, that easy.
Now that's something I can understand. The desire to get new things because they're different and interesting drives most of my audio purchases at this point. What I have now plays everything I have now very nicely. That still doesn't stop me from exploring new items just to have more toys to play with.

Sorry, I don't know much about the X9. As you said, not many people seem to have had one so I haven't read much about it. From what I've read no one seemed overly impressed with what it has to offer and it's over what I think I should pay for the feature set. I can't see myself getting one.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Thank you both, I'll take a C2 and call you in the morning to let you know how it went
It is not a wild guess, skip seems to tag along with my ways and Darkside popped out of nowhere (Darkside indeed) and pinned on the C2 too
It should be at least a decent player...

Last edited by Tanz; 02-10-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
nice things i like:
-sd slot (not fundamental but really appreciated)
C2

Quote:
-nice audio
C2
Quote:
-battery in double digits (possibly days!!) -yes i'm looking at you "audiophiles" POS...-
C2

Quote:
-usable ui, i'm not too fond of touchscreens but i could do with one (maybe with a couple of buttons if possible for pocket control\bed time) as long as it's not of an abysmal quality (touching wise)
C2 (as long as u custom UI that sucker!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I really like my i9 and don't have a problem recommending one. The UI was a bitch to learn but now that I have I feel it was worth the effort. I figure the C2 can't be any worse so I have it on my short list.
Wrong, the UI for the C2 was far worse than i9 (imo). OR... because i learned to use the i9 (like u did) it was annoying to have to learn another bizzare cowon UI (which had nothing in common with i9 UI) and I simply lost patience. I actually don't think the i9 is that bad an interface, u just have to sit down for 30mins to get used to it, and THEN stick with it as yer main player for a few days to drum it in. Personally I love the size of the player, if only it came in 32gb flavours and/or had a microsd card slot. Its unbelievable that cowon keep releasing shite when all they have to do is add one small feature to an existing player and come up with an absolute killer! I truly believe they are trying to use up old stock, hopefully they are at an end with their pmp like players and are ready to release a new DAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
That's not because I'm under any illusion the C2 sounds any better. I'm thinking about it because the prices here have become reasonable and the expansion slot and battery life would make it fit the way I prefer to use my music on the go.
Yep C2 and i9 sound the same. C2 is heavier, chunkier but has microsd and epic battery life. i9 is better for working out with, c2 for using days on end.
I can't recommend the c2 enough AS LONG AS U CUSTOM UI, the UI isn't just about the pretty album art display, the browser UI is improved making the whole player actually usuable.

PS I never had my C2 brick once.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 PM

Is it too much to ask for some reference custom UI? Something really clean, vertical and black kind of "clip zip sugarblue" like, you got the general idea
No frills just useful info, I don't care about album covers...

Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If u read my C2 review, and click on the youtube vid demo, under the youtube vid demo description im sure i linked the places to find the custom UI, try that first.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@BruceBanner: Showoff!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Ugh,...me gots headache now,... Just go get a C2. The X9 ain't got nothing on it.
Except double the rated battery life....

Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Except double the rated battery life....
True,...and a bigger screen.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ones a DAP the other a PMP, think which matters more to you imo.

Tags
clip, cowon, mp3, player, sorryilied