android
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

-facepalm-

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-28-2011, 05:05 PM

With firmware 2.25 I have an annoying glitch where, when playing music, and I press the lock key rapidly 3 times, the screen will flash white and stay black untill the next song, and if I turn the J3 off, it freezes, and it has to be plugged back into the computer. I haven't tried resetting it with the button though. I do use an old version of Aero, si I'm going to see if putting lynx changes anything...

EDIT : I think it's now bricked : I can't turn it on, buy it can still connect to the pc... /rageface/

Last edited by Strontium Wizzard; 05-29-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: added info

Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow.................

Must likely it won't, reset it and if the doesn't work delete any custom UCI/etc off and try again. Then I'd said format/defrag.

Last edited by Confispect; 05-29-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:51 PM

What's rest setting ?

And even though it still connects, it's horribly slow (deleting 1.5MB of flash ui has been going on for about 3, minutes and the progress bar is at a third...

Old 05-29-2011, 01:14 PM

I think he meant "hard reset", not "rest".

Anyway, if you can see your J3 from PC (as apparently you can), and you don't mind "starting over" (which apparently you don't, since you're deleting lots right now), I would suggest that you truly FORMAT your J3 using the recommended SD Formatter utility.

This will erase everything. Then "safely remove hardware", disconnect the USB cable from the PC, and boot the J3.

This boot will cause the firmware to discover that everything is gone and will then recreate all the mandatory folders/files required. You'll have no demo/sample files any longer, put you'll have a TRULY EMPTY J3.

And then you can really start over. Reconnect the J3 to the PC and start copying all over again.

This should fix just about anything caused by some kind of corruption on the J3 caused by some combination of button pushes or finger taps, which somehow has caused your problem.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks, trying that now... I'll update.

EDITS :
1/Full, or quick?
2/Tried a full format with the utility aaaaand.... it won't turn on. Still just flashes...
3/ Even though it didn't turn on, the files were created...
4/ Put the 2.23 files in, and now it doesn't even flash. I'm hoping that this is a strp forward, but I fear the worst... Justplugged it in, and windows couldn't install the files for the drive, and it doesn't appear in explorer. IT F***ING BRICKED ON ME. /FUUUUUUU/
5/Unbricked it, did all the steps, but it still won't turn on. My parents also refuse to send it back to export privé, since it's in Corea...

Last edited by Strontium Wizzard; 05-29-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strontium Wizzard View Post
Thanks, trying that now... I'll update.

EDITS :
1/Full, or quick?
2/Tried a full format with the utility aaaaand.... it won't turn on. Still just flashes...
3/ Even though it didn't turn on, the files were created...
4/ Put the 2.23 files in, and now it doesn't even flash. I'm hoping that this is a strp forward, but I fear the worst... Justplugged it in, and windows couldn't install the files for the drive, and it doesn't appear in explorer. IT F***ING BRICKED ON ME. /FUUUUUUU/
5/Unbricked it, did all the steps, but it still won't turn on. My parents also refuse to send it back to export privé, since it's in Corea...
Rats.

Have you tried TCCTool?

Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
What's rest setting ?
Reset.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Yep, formatted it, it bricked twice, tcctool, got it working again, but it still flashes if I unlock it.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Yep, formatted it, it bricked twice, tcctool, got it working again, but it still flashes if I unlock it.
Well, it could be a genuine firmware problem, or it could be something defective about your particular J3.

(1) If it's a defective J3, you could request a replacement from Cowon.

Cowon's RMA process with them is actually remarkably quick, if you don't want to take it up with your retailer directly.

Go to this page to "apply for an RMA", where you describe fully your story. You should hear back almost immediately that "your RMA request has been registered".

Then in all likelihood a few minutes later you'll receive another email advising that "your RMA has been approved" and providing instructions on how and where to send it to them (they're in Irvine CA).

(2) Just to report the problem to Cowon (not that it may necessarily produce any results), you could report the problem on the Cowon support site.

You should open a ticket on the Cowon (Global) web site and describe the problem. Once they now at least know about it they can perhaps research it and fix it eventually. Don't be surprised if it takes a while to see a reply to your post, and even then it may be a 3-line "robot" response in not-so-great English. But at least you feel you've done what you can.

You click on Support, register, then use the "Q&A" link, and then click on the "List of Questions" link to see your previous threads to/from them.

You click on "WRITE" to submit a new ticket. It's a very rudimentary non-thread-like interface, and you can "edit" what you've previously submitted, but you can't reply to their reply to you. But it does at least allow sending them information and problem reports especially for software issues.

You can also "MODIFY" something you've previously posted, but again there is no back-and-forth "threading" to carry on a conversation with them on a specific ticket. That would of course be very helpful, but it's not possible given their site design.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:45 PM

Thanks, will do
EDIT : Unfortunately, living in France means that I'll have to contact export privé..
EDIT 2: I don't know what happned : annoyed, I threw my cowon at a cushion, missed, and it ended up hitting the floor quite hard. It now works again...

Last edited by Strontium Wizzard; 06-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:04 AM

Default JPEG & PNG formats not recognized in 2.25

Hi,

i just understood why my J3 was stubbornly refusing to display only *some* of my albums cover.

It's just that it can't read .png and .jpeg.
As for .jpeg, just change it to .jpg and it works! Magic, but lame, really...

I'm trying 2.26, but no hope, such simple things not working form the ground up... they really need help on the software side imho.

my 2ct
-nodje

Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathang View Post
With firmware V2.26, the first track is sorted to the bottom while the rest are in order regardless of whether the first character is a number or letter. This may have been introduced any time after V2.23 as I skipped those firmwares.
I have this problem too: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...4&postcount=10 It was in 2.25 and obviously hasn't been fixed....

Old 09-17-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathang View Post
I name my music files like this (the first character is the album and the next two are the track number):

(101) Title
(102) Title
etc.

-or-

(a01) Title
(a02) Title
etc.

With firmware V2.26, the first track is sorted to the bottom while the rest are in order regardless of whether the first character is a number or letter. This may have been introduced any time after V2.23 as I skipped those firmwares.

I've already reverted to V2.23 and I don't feel like experimenting to find out more.
If you say that behavior sorting the very same music files using the identical browsing method is different between 2.23 and later firmware versions, it's obviously something that Cowon did (probably unintentionally). Have you reported this problem on a ticket to Cowon Global on their support site (instructions up a few at post #150)?

But if you use tags-based browsing down to an album (e.g. Library -> [Artists] -> specific artist -> one of the albums by that artist), the list is displayed in order by the "track number" field in the tags. It is assumed that the "track number" values are valid, so if they're empty or invalid I don't know what the firmware will do.

Same if you display tags-based by Library -> [Albums], then again the displayed order is based on "track number" in the tags. Or, if you come in with Library -> [Genres] or [Years], then [Artists] and into a specific artist and then album, again... by "track number" in the tag.

If you display tags-based by Library -> [Songs] or tags-based for an artist but then choose [All Tracks], they your display is alphabetical by the internal "song/title" tag field... not by the external file name. Doesn't matter what your external file names are, only the internal "song/title" tag field.

Only if you browse externally by Library -> [Folders] (like with Windows Explorer) is your display sorted alphabetically by exernal file name, having nothing to do with internal tag field values.

So... be sure in your problem description to Cowon that you state clearly how your are browsing, and what your internal tag fields (song/title as well as track number) are, and also what your external file names are... which produces different results for 2.23 vs. newer firmware, for the identical set of music files.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:26 AM

Default Computer sees files, mp3 player ssays there are none

have Cowon C2 and J3, both hhave the same problem. My computer sees the files, but on the mp3 players it show's tat they're empty except for te extra memory card, where it does recognize te files.... driving me mad!!.. Did my computer mess up my mp3 players??

Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinus View Post
have Cowon C2 and J3, both hhave the same problem. My computer sees the files, but on the mp3 players it show's tat they're empty except for te extra memory card, where it does recognize te files.... driving me mad!!.. Did my computer mess up my mp3 players??
what files are they? if they're flac files, try changing the file extensions to .fla