android
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM

Default Internet issues with Galaxy 4.2

I just got myself a Galaxy Wifi 4.2 to replace by broken iPod touch. Overall, I am very happy with it but unfortunately the internet connection on it appears to be poor.

When refreshing web-based apps, such as facebook or groupon, or webpages it takes and inordinately long time; I'm taking over 3 mins, sometimes it refuses to load information at all with apps stating 'connection error' or the android 'unable to load page' coming up. Sometimes things load quicker but more often than not it is quite frustrating to use things that rely on the internet which is one of the main functions I want to use it for. Things do generally load eventually but I often have to keep constantly refreshing pages to load anything.

It is not my home wifi as I have no problem loading things on my android phone (sony eperia ray which also has a 1ghz processor). I have click on the same links simultaneously on both devices and while things instantly load on my phone, they take an age on the galaxy.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had these issues or whether mine is just a duff one? I hoping that mine is faulty as I'm not patient enough to have to deal with this continuously!

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM

I have a 5 , son has a 4, wife two 4's. Not one of them has a problem. All pages load decently fast (10 seconds maybe on average) maybe there is something wrong with your device or possibly the settings? Someone else will probably have a better idea.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 PM

I've tried to fiddle with the settings but hasn't really made a difference. Cheers, I think I'll be heading back to the shop.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 PM

i have the 5, and use my wifi for internet and pages load fine on mine. it may be slower the farther away i am from my wifi, but that's it. could be an issue with your player, did you buy it brand new?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Yes it's brand new so I think that it must just be a faulty one.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spantastic View Post
Yes it's brand new so I think that it must just be a faulty one.
i would try and take it back and see if you can get a replacement.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM

Have you made sure you have the latest version of Android for the device?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Angry My 4.2 wifi sucks too

Just so you know, I have had a Galaxy 4.2 for over 6 months now and have all but given up on wifi use. Thank goodness I like all the other things it does and have other ways to access the internet as needed. Even when the 4.2 is sitting right on the router itself, it's poor in the wifi department! With your own experiences, I now assume it was just poorly designed and/or badly built from the start. I plan to keep mine (too late to return) - but will reconsider Samsungs in the future.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 AM

No issues with either the sgp 4's or 5's.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 PM

all you having wifi issues on your players tried simply resetting your wireless routers, I know on my 4.0 after installing certain ROM's my wifi wouldn't work even though ALL other devices connected to it worked and resetting it fixed it.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 PM

I used to have an issue similar to this with my sgp 4.0 it would just randomly drop the connection even if I am less than 10 feet from my router however I shortly after discovered it worked fine on a public hot spot with no discnnnects and had very good reception considering I was a good distance away from the building the wifi was in. I originally had a belkin wifi router which i used when the device had the wifi problems but upgraded to a netgear router and have not had connection issues with my sgp4.0 since then. I tried connecting to several other networks on campus which I knew had belkin routers similar to mine and the problem occurred so I jumped to the conclusion it was because of my old belkin router. I can't seem to come up with a better explanation for the issue. Basucally a good thing to do is take it to different hotspots and see if you have issues with them because it may be a router issue

Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I used to have an issue similar to this with my sgp 4.0 it would just randomly drop the connection even if I am less than 10 feet from my router however I shortly after discovered it worked fine on a public hot spot with no discnnnects and had very good reception considering I was a good distance away from the building the wifi was in. I originally had a belkin wifi router which i used when the device had the wifi problems but upgraded to a netgear router and have not had connection issues with my sgp4.0 since then. I tried connecting to several other networks on campus which I knew had belkin routers similar to mine and the problem occurred so I jumped to the conclusion it was because of my old belkin router. I can't seem to come up with a better explanation for the issue. Basucally a good thing to do is take it to different hotspots and see if you have issues with them because it may be a router issue

There's that too, it's like what I tell people when I see them looking at wireless routers at walmart (locally) Bottom Shelf (Belkin) is crap, Middle Shelf (Netgear) is decent and Top Shelf (Linksys) is best, I'm so glad that even the local walmart can lay out the shelves by quality in atleast one place, LOL.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM

The problem I'm having with mine is the only way to connect to wifi is to fully reboot the 4.2. For some reason the quick key under menu will not work if you turn it off. It is the EU white version, and I'm in USA. Anyone else having a similiar problem with this version in USA?
Thanks for any help. Did want the white version, but am waiting for an RMA to return for refund.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 AM

Probably something to do with the wifi region selected? It's different on all devices but check under wifi-settings for something like wifi region code and regulatory domain. some roms call it something different. you may have to hit menu advanced when under wifi settings to find it

Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Probably something to do with the wifi region selected? It's different on all devices but check under wifi-settings for something like wifi region code and regulatory domain. some roms call it something different. you may have to hit menu advanced when under wifi settings to find it
When I did restore to factory, I did notice a wifi region code go by, so guess that may be the problem as it is hard coded into device and cannot be changed. Will now need to decide if it is worth keeping and do reboot when wifi is needed.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM

I would try returning it and buying an American model to be honest. Unless you are just on vacation in America.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Default sgp4.2 internet issues

My daughter has had issues. The first time we sent it back since it was under warranty. The wifi adapter went bad. Today she brings it to me, it won't connect to Play Store or Facebook etc but internet explorer worked fine...after rebooting eveything, router and the sgp, I was checking settings and being a computer tech I found that the date on the device said January 6, 2000. I corrected the date and bam everything was working normal.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Welcome to Abi

I can confirm this using my SG4.0. I set the date to today but the year 2000 and it broke several things. In my case I couldn't connect to the Play Store and my browser kept throwing a warning that every site I visited had a problem with it's security certificate. I tried signing in to a couple of places I never have a problem accepting my user id and password and they wouldn't accept my sign in info.

As soon as I set the correct date everything went back to normal. Quick connections everywhere, no certificate warnings and my sign ins were accepted as before.

There's no telling if the date being out of range is the cause of the problems I'm seeing here. It sure can't hurt to have another potential cause and fix for connection problems posted here. It may help the next person that finds this thread looking to fix theirs.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:56 PM

i just tried setting the year to 2000 on both of my sgp 4.0's and it made no difference whatsoever on either of them. everything connects and works the same as it did before.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Now that's just weird. I've tried it a couple of times and what I described happens each time. Especially not being able to access the Play store. I can clear the security certificate messages but the Play Store give a "No Connection" error. I'm using the stock browser because I've cleared all my apps off it in anticipation of a sale.

Is yours rooted? I'm thinking that might make a difference?