android
Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 PM

Default H340 won't start after 8 years of service.

my beloved h340 has stopped working after 8 years . with the charger inserted it has a blank screen then starts to get very warm where the buttons are and eventually the rockbox bootscreen comes and goes (lights up and fades almost flashing) with text showing varying voltage readings.

i did manage to get the original firmware booting screen, but this lights up and fades too. i then get a hdd not connected error.
It does not advance past this point.

it may have been fried by a faulty usb pot in my car, although i had used this before. could it be that the battery is dead?

any assistance greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 PM

Hi Marcellinus
It sounds more like fried charging circuit, the H300 and H100 series of players don't like anything above 5V. Though the fact that you player trys to boot does point away from this a bit.
First thing to try would be to disassemble the player and smell and inspect the circuit board for overheated components.
Second is to disconnect the battery and try starting the player with just the charger connected. If alls fine then try another battery. they are fairly cheap off ebay.
It may even be worth listening to the hard drive to see if its spinning up and even disconnecting it on the small chance its faulty and drawing to much current. though I doubt this will be you problem.
Disassembly instructions are here http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...41934586,d.dGY or google for iriver h320 battery replacement.
There are links for the schematics for the player here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=70656
and a component list here http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/Main/Iri...wareComponents
All the best.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Did you use it for 8 years with the same battery ?

Old 03-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The battery is most likely DOA, so get a new one.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:01 PM

What I hate about that player is that you cant use it pluged in when the battery dies.