android
Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 PM

Default DT990 premiums vs HE400

hi guys,

I've a choice between these two headphones. Of course, the HE400 costs 100 more. The internet is full of fake reviews (specially some other sites lol), so I came back to my trusted website, the one where I started my "audiophile" journey 5 years ago!

Is it worth spending the extra 100 for HE400? I mostly listen to rock/metal, through a headstage lyrix pro total USB amp. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM

Well the HE-400 have some horrible looking distortion graphs and the DT990's are supposed to be absurdly bright, so buy Sennheisers instead. :P

For $300-$400 you can afford the HD 600's or HD 650's. The former are probably a bit better for metal.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sennheiser Momentum: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...eiser-momentum

PS: InnerFidelity.com isn't working for some using Chrome,...me included. Use FireFox or IE instead.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the Sennheiser momentum at the local bestbuy, found the bass to be a little bloated. Also, I should've mentioned before, I am looking for open cans, never had one, tried one at a friend's place and liked the soundstage. HD600 is a very good suggestion, I just have to find a place where I can try them on.

The HE-400s are out of consideration then. Is DT990 too bright? I had DT770 before, really loved it, guess that kinda biased me towards Beyers. Shame I can't try the Beyers anywhere here, only Senns. Anyways, will try the HD600 and see how it goes!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Why not just get the Sennheiser HD598? I haven't heard the HD598 or the HD600 or HD650, however I have an old discontinued Sennheiser headphone that is probably close to the HD598 and I am very happy with that. Try to listen to all three, the HD598, the HD600, and the HD650. Try listening to them with with your amp if possible.

A comparison of the HD598 and HD600.

http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/

Old 02-06-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Why not just get the Sennheiser HD598? I haven't heard the HD598 or the HD600 or HD650, however I have an old discontinued Sennheiser headphone that is probably close to the HD598 and I am very happy with that. Try to listen to all three, the HD598, the HD600, and the HD650. Try listening to them with with your amp if possible.

A comparison of the HD598 and HD600.

http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/
I wouldn't trust that retard's impressions on anything but yeah try the cheaper versions as well if you can - I would also like to try those at some point.

Sennheiser ftw.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Headfonia does suck. InnerFidelity is much better. Tyll is an expert, and I trust his reviews.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 AM

The 990 Premium is a solid choice for electronical. I'm keen to stick with Beyer, but i'm a fan of the bightness more than Senns darkness.
Bass is wonderful with a decent dac, it's never excessive, precise and i've never found it to wonder where it shouldn't do. The good separation is key to this though.
Guitars though, i think you need that warmth though which the 990 ain't got.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Sennheiser HD598 has a bigger soundstage and is brighter than the HD600 (although nowhere near as bright as the DT990); however, is less refined than the HD600. But since you listen mainly to rock and metal, the HD600 might be too laid back. Both Sennheisers are pretty neutral and the Beyerdynamic has a V-shaped signature. The HD598 is of course the easiest to drive.

Also there's a HD598 special going on at Crutchfield right now so you save more if you decide to go this route.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
I wouldn't trust that retard's impressions on anything...
I'm wondering what did he say/do that offended you?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El C View Post
I'm wondering what did he say/do that offended you?
Absolutely nothing! He's just an ignoramus. Also Tyll is OK but he's hardly an expert if he believes expensive cables make a difference.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
Absolutely nothing! He's just an ignoramus. Also Tyll is OK but he's hardly an expert if he believes expensive cables make a difference.
That makes him an expert ; )

Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I like Tyll and Inner Fidelity,...and his hp reviews & testing tend to be spot on. He's honest,...

Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 AM

Although the discussion seems to have ended I want to comment on this because I have the HE-400 as my primary headphone and I came from the DT-990 Premium 250 ohm.

The HE-400 is a truly excellent sounding headphone, and works with pretty much every genre. My mains are heavy metal and various modern rock forms. It's slightly coloured, but not in a bad way, it somehow manages to be both neutral and fun sounding at the same time. The treble does its job without being harsh, the bass is very present with music that demands it, but never bleeds into the midrange. The midrange itself is slightly recessed but it doesn't bother me at least, it's not like anything is missing from my music. Soundwise I can't really point out any flaws with it. The cons are in build and comfort. The stock cable is very thick, long and bulky, the connectors are awful and sometimes unscrew themselves, and in general it takes some time to get used to the heavy weight and bulky design. Nowadays I can wear them for hours without any problems though. The wide headband distributes the weight very well.

All in all though, the HE-400 is a helluva lot sound for the price.

Now the DT-990 wins in build quality and short term comfort but I actually found the HE-400 to be more comfortable in the long run, because the narrow headband of the DT-990 started to build up pressure on my head forcing me to adjust them from time to time.
The DT-990 is very bright in its sound, way too bright with some material. It also has considerable sibilance. The bass is nice, but looser than the HE-400. The midrange is much more recessed than the HE-400. Unless you're a "treblehead" the HE-400 is better in all aspects. It has a much more "natural" sound.

If the choice is between these two and you got the cash, HE-400, no contest.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:18 PM

(My mistake, I was thinking of a similar looking site.)

Last edited by Chef; 02-22-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Slander and lies

Tags
beyerdynamic, dt990, he400, hifiman