android
Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 PM

Default J3 playlist help

Hi,

So I am using kizunes playlist ui and I am having some trouble.
I recently put some music that was converted from youtube to mp3.
After I transfered it, the names turned to UNKNOWN and now whenever i go under "artist" tab they are listed under unknown
How do I fix that so its under correct name?

And when i try to add to playlist it says error. I tried the favorite apend way and the add to playist option... but doesnt work

help?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 AM

Library -> [Artists] on the J3 displays information which is derived from the internal ID3 tag field values. The display has nothing to do with the external folder/file names.

Did you ever have these "MP3 converted from YouTube to MP3" files stored on the J3 before? If so, what was their extension... WMA, WAV, etc.?? And did they display "artist" before converting them to MP3?

Or are you saying you had them on your PC in some form, used some undisclosed program to "convert them to MP3", then loaded them onto the J3 and they simply show "unknown" for Artist?

What software/method did you use to do this conversion? What is your "YouTube" format???

If you lost (or never had) internal ID3 tags then you're never going to see anything in "artist" but UNKNOWN.

You can use the very fine program MP3Tag to properly construct or modify or edit ID3 tags to contain the right values, and then you'll see the proper "artist" (and "album" and "year" and "genre" and "song title") on the J3 since all of those values come directly from the internal tag field values. Else -> UNKNOWN.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:02 AM

I used video2mp3.net to convert youtube to mp3. After that, I dragged onto monkeymedia then dragged into the cowon j3.
When I dragged onto monkeymedia, the artist might have been blank with only long title.
I always fix the information, thinking it would transfer into the J3..
Sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt

Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 PM

anyone???????????????????????????????????????

Old 12-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ako View Post
anyone???????????????????????????????????????
Have you tried this advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
You can use the very fine program MP3Tag to properly construct or modify or edit ID3 tags to contain the right values, and then you'll see the proper "artist" (and "album" and "year" and "genre" and "song title") on the J3 since all of those values come directly from the internal tag field values. Else -> UNKNOWN.
An experienced owner is telling what happens if the files are untagged and you try to make a playlist. If MediaMonkey isn't tagging the files they'll continue to show as UNKNOWN.

My experience with MM says it should tag the files but if the results you get is "Sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt" then you can either check you settings in MM or try the MP3Tag. If neither one of those work I'd post a detailed description of what you're trying. What I see here really doesn't give enough information for anyone to spot what the problem might be.

One of the other things you may want to try is using files that aren't grabbed of the 'net and then converted. If that works then it's probably that program that's producing some type of non-standard file or tags.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:56 PM

One of the other things you may want to try is using files that aren't grabbed of the 'net and then converted. If that works then it's probably that program that's producing some type of non-standard file or tags.

A lot of the times, I want to get a song that is old or rare, and youtube is the only place that I know of.. Is there a better place where I can find these songs then?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
A lot of the times, I want to get a song that is old or rare, and youtube is the only place that I know of.. Is there a better place where I can find these songs then?
I usually buy the CD and rip it to be sure I get the best quality. Amazon and iTunes also tend to have very good quality files.

I don't get them off video sites and transcode them as I prefer music that sounds like music, not mush. Most often what you find on youtube is relatively low quality to start with. Transcoding the files with the site you mentioned will degrade the sound quality further. The artifacts I have heard from the files I've heard others obtained that way weren't subtle. I'm willing to pay rather than subject my ears to something that bad.

Let me be clear about one thing. Discussion of how to obtain copyrighted material isn't allowed here. Let this be the last on that subject.

Why don't you list what you've done to follow the directions posted by DSperber? I've noticed that he's helped a number of others get playlists working on a J3 when they worked with him and gave him feedback as to what happened when they tried following what he posted. I think that if you work with him you would have the same success.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM

Ok I used mp3tag and now it shows up
! THanks
But.. I have another problem. How do I play music from the playlist on my J3?
I am using Kizune's leaf, linxus, etc...
Also kizunes created playlists doesnt show up in the main main list under browser option where it lists ALBUM ARTIST FOLDER etc...

Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
kizunes created playlists doesnt show up in the main main list under browser option where it lists ALBUM ARTIST FOLDER etc...
The main browser navigation from Library -> [Album], [Artist], [Playlists], [Folder] etc. is referring to [Playlists] which are true external M3U playlists that you create using software (e.g. Winamp, Playlist Creator, etc.) on your PC and then save onto the J3. This is just like building a playlist on the PC itself referencing music files on the PC, for playback on the PC using media player software on the PC... except it's intended for playback on the J3. This is done through an "official" M3U playlist file, and is built with programs that can construct an M3U playlist file.

For use of such an M3U playlist file on the PC you use these PC programs to point to music files located on the J3, and use the "add to playlist" features of the programs to construct the logical playlist music files. The key here is that you are selecting music files you've got located on the J3 rather than on your PC.

When you've now got the whole "playlist" finished you "save playlist" and point to a location also on the J3. This will result in an M3U playlist file stored on the J3, referencing music files also on the J3.

When you're all finished you "safely remove hardware", disconnect the J3 from the PC, boot the J3, and these newly build M3U files will now show up in Library-> [Playlists]. They are REAL M3U PLAYLISTS as understood universally by PC media player programs (like Winamp) as well, and are also fully understood by the J3's firmware, having nothing to do with Kizune's own construction of "playlists".

Restrictions on M3U playlists:

(a) max of 400 music files referenced in a single M3U playlist

(b) all referenced music files for a single M3U playlist must be located on either internal storage or external storage, to match wherever the M3U playlist file itself gets saved. You can't refer to music files on both internal and external storage in the same single M3U playlist file.

(c) the M3U playlist file must be constructed in standard #EXTINF syntax format, meaning that each referenced music file involves 2 lines in the M3U file itself. This is exactly how "good" programs (e.g. Winamp, Playlist Creator) will build their M3U files so as long as you use those programs you won't have to worry about the resulting M3U file being usable by the J3 or not. They WILL be usable, as long as they're built by "good" programs.

NOTE: Kizune's "private playlists" functionality is all-manual in its construction meaning you have to do it with your fingers on the J3, cannot be preserved, cannot be edited by the PC, etc. It's convenient in that it can reference music files on both internal and external storage, but it is definitely not really user-friendly.

In contrast the real M3U playlists are easily maintained by software on your PC (when the J3 is connected to the PC), but has its own restrictions.

Choice is yours, if you want to use either one.

My own approach is to use something entirely different... namely "genre-playlist" which is my own invention. Since I don't really ever browse my music collection by genre, I use that "genre" field value as a "playlist name". Yes, since there's only one "genre" field in an MP3/FLAC tag you can only have a specific music file in one "genre-playlist" at a time, but that's not a problem for me.

Now you "play a playlist" by Library -> [Genres] -> specific "genre-playlist" name from the list of "genres" presented.

Advantages:

(a) NO LIMIT ON SIZE OF A "GENRE-PLAYLIST", i.e. no maximum of 400 or any other number

(b) referenced music files in such a "genre-playlist" can be ANYWHERE ON THE J3, either on internal or external storage intermixed.

(c) the "genre-playlist" is AUTOMATIC, simply by using MP3Tag to stuff the correct value into the "genre" field of all music files you want to be in that "genre-playlist". And you can do this on the PC master copy of your music collection, which of course is duplicated onto the J3 when you copy your music files over to the J3 from the PC. So playback of the "genre-playlist" will work on the J3 (through Library -> [Genres]) or on the PC as well using a media player program and selecting a particular genre.

Up to you.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 PM

Ok. Your invention sounds great! But how do you save edited tagging through mp3tag for songs already on the J3? My whole music collection was all disorganized so I decided to fix it one day through mp3tag manually one by one fixing the artist and song name. I noticed that when I saved the tag through mp3tag, it only saved it on the program and not on the j3 when I disconnected it.
I had to delete all the song that was on my J3 then re transfer with the new tagging through monkeymedia.
Do I always have to delete and re load the fix tagged songs or is there a way I can automatically save the tagging on existing songs on the J3.
This would also help for the genre playlist thing i am about to do
thanks!

Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 AM

I cannot speak firsthand about MediaMonkey. I find it far too intrusive for my tastes, and don't like that it "does everything for you" rather than my controlling it.

I do not use MediaMonkey, and don't like it (I have tried it, and quickly uninstalled it). So I really know nothing about it. Maybe others can help you here, if you have questions about it. But I don't trust it, and I don't trust its "sync" or other "magic".

Instead I use Beyond Compare (really like Windows Explorer with two panes/windows open at once, so that you can compare/copy/move/mirror from left-to-right or right-to-left), to maintain my J3, doing maintenance with MP3Tag on my PC's music collection folders/files and then using Beyond Compare to duplicate those changes onto the J3.

I do NOT use MP3Tag on the J3, because if I have to make any tag edits after creating my music files I need to do them on the PC anyway. And since it's far faster to update the files on the PC rather than on the J3 that's where I do the tag edits.

Next, my experience is that something about "replace" of files on an SD card in the J3 or through an external card reader is that it is not 100% reliable. I have often seen no update take place on the J3, even though I know that I just did "replace" an old file/tag with an updated file/tag. This seems to happen mostly when all I did was edit tags and not change the music file itself.

So my approach is always to first DELETE the file on the J3 that I want to replace, and then to COPY the updated file from the PC to the J3. The effect is obviously no different than a true REPLACE, but DELETE/COPY is 100% guaranteed to work whereas REPLACE for some reason is not 100% reliable.

Finally, it really goes without saying but I'll say it again anyway: when you are done with whatever maintenance you do to files on the J3 you must first "safely remove hardware", and then when Windows presents the "it is now safe to remove hardware" message you can now pull the USB cable out of the PC. THIS IS MANDATORY PROCEDURE for any update to a removable drive connected in MSC mode (i.e. when Windows assigns a drive letter), to guarantee that Windows flushes out all updated data that might still be sitting in buffers on the PC. With "safely remove hardware" once those data buffers are written out to the removable device the "it is now safe" message will appear confiming to you that all updates to the removable device have truly been applied.

So... my recommendation to you is NOT to use MediaMonkey for maintaining the J3 (although others may feel differently). Use either Windows Explorer, or Beyond Compare, or Free Commander, or any other Explorer-like program that gives you complete 100% manual control over everything you want to do... with nothing "automatic" occurring that you didn't request.

Then, do not maintain the tags for the music files on the J3. Do the maintenance on your PC collection, as it is much faster.

Then, again I recommend to first DELETE the files on the J3 which you want to REPLACE, and then simply COPY the updated files from PC to J3. That will guaranteed 100% work reliably. At least that's how I do it.

And finally, always "safely remove hardware" when you're done, before pulling the USB cable out of the PC. Only when Windows shows "it is now safe..." should you then pull the cable.