android
Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 PM

Default Looking For Software To Create Playlists For A Rockboxed Clip+/Zip

im having aolt of trouble figuring out how to create playlists on my rockbox clip + zip. I understand they use m3u playlists but I cant really find anything helpful on how to do it even in google. does anyone have a step by step guide I can reference

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Among the things I've learned is that I can't say it better than the manual. http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...ml#x7-640004.4 There's so many ways to go about it that trying to paraphrase usually confuses more than it helps. If you have specific questions after digging into that then someone may be able to help.

I will say that creating a custom virtual keyboard makes saving playlists much easier once you start making them. More on how to make one to your taste is here http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/LoadableKeyboardLayouts. For me a using larger font and eliminating the characters I don't use makes it easier to create playlist names I'll remember.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM

thanks for the link however I am looking at a way to create playlists using my computer. I understand it is a text file of sorts that needs to be created in which case I could write a simple computer program to do it however I need to know the format and what exactly the text file needs to contain

Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Administrator

I misunderstood what you were looking for. I've changed the thread title to reflect more clearly you're looking for PC software to create playlists for a Rockboxed player.

There's no need to write a software to create playlists for a Rockboxed DAP. They use .m3u playlists and there's any number of existing software that create those natively. The format is relatively simple. Winamp, MediaMonkey, MusicBee, foobar2000, Windows Media Player and a lot more than I can think of right now all save to that format.

I just drag the files into whatever software I'm using at the moment and save the playlist, making sure I use the .m3u format option. As long as all the files are from either the internal or external memory the playlist works as is . They just need to be saved to the same memory that holds the music files. If the files are from both memories, saving to the root of the external memory creates the file paths needed for all the files to play.

You can create playlists from both memories that work and save them to the internal memory but the file paths need to be corrected. marc2003 has a set of directions on how to do that using foobar2000 here. You can also correct the file paths manually or use copy/replace in a text editor or script. I'm lazy and just use the root of the external card and assign that as the Playlist Catalog. You'll work out what's best for you with a little experimentation.

Last edited by skip252; 01-31-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I'll learn how to spell one of these days

Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
There's no need to write a software to create playlists for a Rockboxed DAP. They use .m3u playlists and there's any number of existing software that create those natively. The format is relatively simple. Winamp, MediaMonkey, MusicBee, foobar2000, Windows Media Player and a lot more think I can think of right now all save to that format.
Heck, even MP3Tag will create .m3u format playlists for you.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 PM
Administrator

It sure will. That's just what I mean when I say "more than I can think of". A comprehensive list would cover dozens, if not hundreds, of programs across multiple OSes. Heck, I've come across video players that could handle audio files that will create .m3u playlists that work in Rockbox. To me that's the good part about clearing up my misunderstanding of RugbyPlayer's original post.

Once you pick a software you like playlists on a Rockboxed player are dead easy. That let's you spend your time picking out what you prefer in the list instead of figuring out how to get the list to work once you've made your selections.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM

Clementine works perfectly for me. Just chose your player as the source of files add them to the playlist then save the playlist to the desired location.