android
Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 PM

Angry Need help playing in car

Hello everyone, I am thinking about purchasing a Sansa Clip+, however, my car only has a iPod dock cable (and no auxiliary port). Is there any possible way I'd be able to use the Clip+ in my car through the use of an adapter or something like that?

Also, one last question: is there any DRM involved with the Clip+? Do I have to install any program, or do I just drag and drop music right onto it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloImBack View Post
Hello everyone, I am thinking about purchasing a Sansa Clip+, however, my car only has a iPod dock cable (and no auxiliary port). Is there any possible way I'd be able to use the Clip+ in my car through the use of an adapter or something like that?

Also, one last question: is there any DRM involved with the Clip+? Do I have to install any program, or do I just drag and drop music right onto it?
Car use: probably not.

I would suggest setting the USB mode to MSC (anything but the default Autodetect). Drag&drop works great!! There are programs that can be used to manage the player, but they are optional.

Steve

Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

iPod docks have a proprietary connection that can only be used by Apple approved products. The Clip+ isn't one of those. Also there's no way to control a Clip+ through the USB port. The USB port is only for charging and data transfer.

As long as the files used on a Clip+ aren't DRM protected drag and drop works just fine. Some protected files are supported through the appropriate software but if there's no copy protection, no software is needed.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Regarding car use, it's possible an adapter like the CableJive dockBoss would work in the OP's situation...but only if his/her car's iPod connector accepts analog audio (vs. requiring a digital signal). CableJive's compatibility and testing details can be read here.

Last edited by epithetless; 01-23-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM

Does your car have a cassette deck? If so, you could use a cassette adapter - I've used one for years with no issues. Otherwise, without an aux jack (why do manufacturers do this these days?), you're only recourse would be an FM transmitter, which I don't particularly recommend.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Unlike BlueDaddy, I do recommend an FM transmitter but not for the Clip. I have exactly the same problem in new car, nice Bluetooth option for the phone, ipod connector, auxiliary input but no usb.
First, I doubt the usb would do you any good, Clips have their own independent logic when deciding what to do when usb is used.
1. Wall charger, plays and charges
2. Computer, charges but doesn't play
3. USB input on FM transmitter, charges and plays the built in commercial for slot radio but nothing else
4. Car USB, don't know, haven't got that but prepared to bet it won't work.

The dockBoss cable link in previous thread looks like it would work, but unless you can use with other devices is a bit pricey and you will still want to charge the clip.

I just use a regular memory stick with an FM transmitter. Downside is navigation isn't convenient and unit picks up at start of current track. OK for pop music but can be a problem for longer classical tracks. Lot's of people sell these, get a good one. The re-start pickup might be different on another unit.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM

Another option is to see if you can add an aux input to your car's system. Crutchfield has a a "wizard" at http://www.crutchfield.com/app/car/c...l%3ftp%3d1672& for this.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM

I should have mentioned, some fm transmitters have an audio input (they may even ship with a cable), there are many models, they're so cheap if even if it doesn't work out you haven't lost much. Just make sure it has the audio input.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Like others have said, it is possible to install something in your car for the Clip+. By no means am I a certified expert on cars, but depending on your model, you have options.

The best option IMO is to buy a replacement stereo that has an AUX or USB jack. But sadly, for my car, I cannot replace the stereo. So my only option was a FM transmitter. You can check and see if your model can have the stereo replaced. If so, then I recommend that.

Don't get the cheap wireless FM transmitters. They will sound terrible and you won't want to listen to it. In my car (2006 Subaru Legacy) I installed a wired FM modular, and it works pretty well. Occasionally there's some background noise and static depending on the area (since it goes through a specified radio station, ex. 88.3 or 87.9 on my model) but besides that SQ is fine.

Here is a good article on some different options.

Good luck, and let me know if you have questions. And welcome to ABi .

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
But sadly, for my car, I cannot replace the stereo
A car with a stereo that cannot replaced is no car at all.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
A car with a stereo that cannot replaced is no car at all.
Well, it's a decent car besides that . In fact this looks exactly like mine, except a lot cleaner, lol (and I'm pretty sure it can't be replaced).

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=McDougal;630760]Like others have said, it is possible to install something in your car for the Clip+. By no means am I a certified expert on cars, but depending on your model, you have options.

The best option IMO is to buy a replacement stereo that has an AUX or USB jack. But sadly, for my car, I cannot replace the stereo. So my only option was a FM transmitter. You can check and see if your model can have the stereo replaced. If so, then I recommend that.

You need to check if the clip will work with usb input, I don't believe it will.
I find the inexpensive fm transmitter works fine, but to use it with the clip you need one with an audio input, usb input won't work. I have my fm transmitter set to a station that is vacant at my house, but even if I set it to a station receiving a signal it still works fine. Quality is subjective, I'm happy.
By far the best solution is to forget using the clip and use a memory stick or cd with mp3, the clip wasn't designed for this type of use. My previous car did have usb input and I used a memory stick. This works best since you have the convenient radio controls to make selections/adjustments. Bad enough my new car didn't have usb input, it came with a stupid ipod connector which I'll never use!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 PM

Alright, thanks for the help everyone.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

For what you want and what you have and absent you wanting to go more drastic, an FM transmitter.

Tags
adapter