android
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfeed

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 PM

Ok........ Did you guys just see what you wanted to see out of what I posted? All I can do is restate what I did because I think it was pretty clear, but I guess I can see why there might've been confusion in my crosstalk remark.

I said, "essentially", for a reason. I meant it to be as a criticism of "stereo enhance" if all it did was mix the left and right channels together rather than what crossfeed really does. So, can anyone actually answer the question as to what stereo enhance truly does? Thanks.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM

I think it depends on which stereo enhance you are talking about, for some DAPs its just presets and there are some real good VST plug-ins for pc’s that have various controls. Regardless it’s firmware or software that modifies the width of the stereo signal and very similar to crossfeed. Typically the adjustment can be made for low, mid and high frequencies separately with good software. The separation of the frequency-bands is achieved by means of linear-phase FIR-filters.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I think it depends on which stereo enhance you are talking about, for some DAPs its just presets and there are some real good VST plug-ins for pc’s that have various controls. Regardless it’s firmware or software that modifies the width of the stereo signal and very similar to crossfeed. Typically the adjustment can be made for low, mid and high frequencies separately with good software. The separation of the frequency-bands is achieved by means of linear-phase FIR-filters.
Thank you.

So when you say VST plug-ins, you mean like for Pro Tools and things like that right?

While that's some good information, I'm really talking about if specific information is known about how the "Stereo Enhance" works in JetEffect 3.0 like on the Cowon J3 or S9.

There is of course no reason why "crossfeed" can't be achieved through software, as a matter of fact, I'm guessing it may even be better/more accurate if you then also have an amp with good benchmark specification. My question is if that's the case here and if this "Stereo Enhance" function does anything more than just essentially decrease the stereo width (which it does in fact seem to do). I haven't really analyzed it that much and before I do, if I do, I'd like to know exactly what it's made to do and what it therefore does, if anybody knows..

Thanks again!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post
So when you say VST plug-ins, you mean like for Pro Tools and things like that right?
Well there are them for “pro tools” and there are some for FB2K, winamp and other play back software. There are free and pay for plug-ins.

Quote:
While that's some good information, I'm really talking about if specific information is known about how the "Stereo Enhance" works in JetEffect 3.0 like on the Cowon J3 or S9.
Personally I’ve never liked it much on my cowon’s but I believe it’s similar to crossfeed but you might want to see if there is any info on BBE Sound’s site as they create the sound firmware for cowon and cowon provides limited info about it. There might also be some info about it on older cowon manuals as the new ones bite. I have written BBE a few times in the past to write an interview for our abi front page and they never replied, they're very secretive there I guess ¬_¬

Quote:
There is of course no reason why "crossfeed" can't be achieved through software, as a matter of fact, I'm guessing it may even be better/more accurate if you then also have an amp with good benchmark specification.
Crossfeed is achieved via firmware in all the applications we’re speaking about, it’s even implemented into rockbox firmware.

Quote:
My question is if that's the case here and if this "Stereo Enhance" function does anything more than just essentially decrease the stereo width (which it does in fact seem to do).
I believe this as well but have not read anything confirming my belief.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:26 PM

I see.. Well, in the end, I don't really like the effect of "Stereo Enhance" anyway by just listening to it so it doesn't really matter how it works. If they gave more of a description for their implementations, it would be helpful though. I guess my curiosity will have to be put to rest as it applies to this. As always, thanks for your input.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I see.. Well, in the end, I don't really like the effect of "Stereo Enhance" anyway by just listening to it so it doesn't really matter how it works. If they gave more of a description for their implementations, it would be helpful though. I guess my curiosity will have to be put to rest as it applies to this. As always, thanks for your input.
I don't like Stereo Enhance either, that said I do like crossfeed with certain old recordings and IMHO the Meier Crossfeed that I believe is used on rockbox is nice.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I don't like Stereo Enhance either, that said I do like crossfeed with certain old recordings and IMHO the Meier Crossfeed that I believe is used on rockbox is nice.
I can't remember what the Stereo Enhance sounded like from my previous Cowons. I never liked the old crossfeed on Rockbox, but the "Meier" crossfeed they have now in RB is nice.