android
  #21  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfeed
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #22  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Typhoon859 Typhoon859 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24
Default

Ok........ Did you guys just see what you wanted to see out of what I posted? All I can do is restate what I did because I think it was pretty clear, but I guess I can see why there might've been confusion in my crosstalk remark.

I said, "essentially", for a reason. I meant it to be as a criticism of "stereo enhance" if all it did was mix the left and right channels together rather than what crossfeed really does. So, can anyone actually answer the question as to what stereo enhance truly does? Thanks.
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

I think it depends on which stereo enhance you are talking about, for some DAPs its just presets and there are some real good VST plug-ins for pc’s that have various controls. Regardless it’s firmware or software that modifies the width of the stereo signal and very similar to crossfeed. Typically the adjustment can be made for low, mid and high frequencies separately with good software. The separation of the frequency-bands is achieved by means of linear-phase FIR-filters.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Typhoon859 Typhoon859 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I think it depends on which stereo enhance you are talking about, for some DAPs its just presets and there are some real good VST plug-ins for pc’s that have various controls. Regardless it’s firmware or software that modifies the width of the stereo signal and very similar to crossfeed. Typically the adjustment can be made for low, mid and high frequencies separately with good software. The separation of the frequency-bands is achieved by means of linear-phase FIR-filters.
Thank you.

So when you say VST plug-ins, you mean like for Pro Tools and things like that right?

While that's some good information, I'm really talking about if specific information is known about how the "Stereo Enhance" works in JetEffect 3.0 like on the Cowon J3 or S9.

There is of course no reason why "crossfeed" can't be achieved through software, as a matter of fact, I'm guessing it may even be better/more accurate if you then also have an amp with good benchmark specification. My question is if that's the case here and if this "Stereo Enhance" function does anything more than just essentially decrease the stereo width (which it does in fact seem to do). I haven't really analyzed it that much and before I do, if I do, I'd like to know exactly what it's made to do and what it therefore does, if anybody knows..

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post
So when you say VST plug-ins, you mean like for Pro Tools and things like that right?
Well there are them for “pro tools” and there are some for FB2K, winamp and other play back software. There are free and pay for plug-ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post
While that's some good information, I'm really talking about if specific information is known about how the "Stereo Enhance" works in JetEffect 3.0 like on the Cowon J3 or S9.
Personally I’ve never liked it much on my cowon’s but I believe it’s similar to crossfeed but you might want to see if there is any info on BBE Sound’s site as they create the sound firmware for cowon and cowon provides limited info about it. There might also be some info about it on older cowon manuals as the new ones bite. I have written BBE a few times in the past to write an interview for our abi front page and they never replied, they're very secretive there I guess ¬_¬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post
There is of course no reason why "crossfeed" can't be achieved through software, as a matter of fact, I'm guessing it may even be better/more accurate if you then also have an amp with good benchmark specification.
Crossfeed is achieved via firmware in all the applications we’re speaking about, it’s even implemented into rockbox firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post
My question is if that's the case here and if this "Stereo Enhance" function does anything more than just essentially decrease the stereo width (which it does in fact seem to do).
I believe this as well but have not read anything confirming my belief.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old 01-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Typhoon859 Typhoon859 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24
Default

I see.. Well, in the end, I don't really like the effect of "Stereo Enhance" anyway by just listening to it so it doesn't really matter how it works. If they gave more of a description for their implementations, it would be helpful though. I guess my curiosity will have to be put to rest as it applies to this. As always, thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post
I see.. Well, in the end, I don't really like the effect of "Stereo Enhance" anyway by just listening to it so it doesn't really matter how it works. If they gave more of a description for their implementations, it would be helpful though. I guess my curiosity will have to be put to rest as it applies to this. As always, thanks for your input.
I don't like Stereo Enhance either, that said I do like crossfeed with certain old recordings and IMHO the Meier Crossfeed that I believe is used on rockbox is nice.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I don't like Stereo Enhance either, that said I do like crossfeed with certain old recordings and IMHO the Meier Crossfeed that I believe is used on rockbox is nice.
I can't remember what the Stereo Enhance sounded like from my previous Cowons. I never liked the old crossfeed on Rockbox, but the "Meier" crossfeed they have now in RB is nice.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.