android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Touch 2

Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 PM

ok guys, I have followed ryans instructions, I am stuck on the setupwizard error message as well. To the people who managed to get it to work. roughly how long did u have to keep pressing 'force close' because I have been trying repeatedly for 15mins now, wiping the cache and even a factory reset has not helped.

absolutly terrified ive bricked my expensive mp4 player, has anyone got any ideas etc?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-11-2011, 05:48 PM

What I did was try turning off my zen while tapping the ok button. I pushed the search button and got the search menu then I worked at turning off my zen inbetween the error message, tap of then press power button and then click the power off option.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:11 PM

ok panic is over, eventually managed to complete the setup wizard. Anyone else doing this should know it took me some time to actually complete it, I would guess its a timing issue as eventually I was able to procede through the steps between error messages popping up.

I hope this process can be improved as its hardly ideal and market support is a big feature in my eyes.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Default It works

ryan49ryan - thank you for the files and instructions to root zen touch 2. On the way I had few problems descripted in this thread:
-it wasn't possible to register google account without using files uploaded by ryan in app_s.zip but on my device copying all aps to folder "system/app" wasn't possible (system said something about no free space). I copied only "setupwizard.apk" and "OneTimeInitializer.apk" but the second wasn't install. In my first try everything looked very well, I've installed some apps from Market after sign in with my Google Account and I gone slepp . Next day I can't start my Zen because it was only the notification that says:
"△! Sorry!
The application Setup Info (process com.android.setupwizard) has stopped unexpectedly."
Thanks to using tips added to this thread I rooted my device again and I found mistake:

When you finish install "setupwizard.apk" on Root Explorer just click "home button", the system ask about using setupwizard or another application to close the program. Tick 'no ask again' or something like that and DO NOT tap setupwizard but another option. Now please sign in your Google Account and if everything works good, back to folder system/app in Root Explorer and remove the setupwizard.apk.

After this procedure my Zen supports Android Marker very well.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 PM

Talking

Anyone have an updated steps list?

I got to the point where it wants you to enter your account information, if you look under accounts where it wants you to enter it, it seems to be trying to use an Exchange account (I am thinking it is trying to setup an Microsoft Exchange account login vs. gmail POP3).

Anyways, in reading this thread I was getting confused what to do once you did the root, then got the market on the device. How do I get the device to accept my gmail/google account under accounts (not email)?

I don't want to brick it, so anyone have a list of working steps?

Thank you,
SD

Old 12-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Exclamation

Could any of the the last people who have got this working please post a instruction list. It seems that I was just lucky when I got this working and created the original instructions. Please post a revised or your own steps that you were succesful with. Thanks

Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 PM

After updating my zen with the latest firmware that came out recently I have lost market support and looks like I will have to re-attempt it myself.

I know I ended up using different files than what ryan supplied, I will do my best to document it properly over the next few days.

But having to go through these steps each firmware upgrade is worrying, I just wish creative would roll out market support as a default!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:51 AM

I have tried to go and do what you wrote but I keep getting an error from it saying that (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly please try again. So I have to force close it.

Did I do anything wrong or is it my Zen?
Please help!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:18 PM

Having followed all the steps listed above, I'm now stuck in the Setup Wizard boot loop.

How many times have people had to go through this loop before it exits? I've been through 10s of "Force close" presses. I have an awful feeling that I have a dead (or at any rate unusable) device.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:07 AM

Hey guys,

Could someone help me out here?

After routing and installing all the aps and services as told above, i'm stuck.
After the whipes i can do in the service menu I get the "welcome to maple' screen. It asks me to register the device, but at the and, i get the servicewizzard error.
That takes me back to the maple screen, and from there, nothing happends.

From this point, the device is pretty useless, and I really dont know what to do with it.

Plz help!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:21 PM

To all the people having trouble after rebooting the zen, its not 'bricked' as such.. you just have to keep trying to get through the setup screen.

its tricky but do-able once u have seen the buttons flash up a few times, its just a case of getting it done quick.

For future reference, NOBODY should copy setupwizard.apk as its not needed and causes these crashes.

I have had my zen running the market problem-free for a few months now, and feel bad that so many people have had problems due to a bit of mis-infomation.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:45 AM

@EarthwormDan,

What do you meen with " its just a case of getting it done quick." ?

It doesn't matter how fast I type, of even try to skip anything I can skip, at the end I still get the setupwizzard error and return to the maple screen, and i'm stuck again.

@everybody else,

Is there a way to remove the setupwizzard.apk? maybe with android SDK or ADB? I've been doing some google searching, but couldn't really find out how that works.

Any help is appreciated

Grtz

Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM

I meant to complete the setup wizard I had to near constantly hit the next screen button and quickly get through the wizard before it crashed and started at the beggining again, took me 5mins once, over 15mins first attempt.

I'm not sure if u can remove the file from the zen with adb unless it is allready enabled maybe?

Once again if new people are reading this DO NOT COPY SETUPWIZARD.APK ONTO YOUR ZEN it seems to have caused alot of problems and is not needed!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Administrator

You can edit your first post to include your warning. It's more likely someone would see it there instead of further down in the thread.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You can edit your first post to include your warning. It's more likely someone would see it there instead of further down in the thread.
Good thinking, Noted.

On looking back it seems ryan has edited his instructions anyway. Ive said repeatedly not to copy setupwizard.apk and Hope the people stuck in crashing loops can eventually get out of them.

Last edited by EarthwormDan; 05-06-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Allright,

I even didn't believe this couple of months ago when I broke my zen touch, but here is the cure which will get you a plain factory reset from the situation we all got into following these steps:

1) download firmare upgrade (the .apk file) from the official creative page

2) rename it to "firmware.zip"

3) extract from this archive a file from the "assets" folder called "data"

4) rename this "data" file to "update.zip"

5) copy this "update.zip" to your microSD card and put it into your Zen Touch device

6) start (or reboot) your Zen Touch

7) open the main screen and if you're lucky enough, you'll see a "firmware upgrade detected" dialogue. if so, allow the reboot and let your device be upgraded

8) in case you don't get the dialogue above, try to put the microSD card into your Zen Touch while running. and hopefully you'll be given the possibility for a firmware upgrade

9) by this firmware upgrade your device will be completely wiped and reinstalled

Good luck!

Bernard

Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 AM

Default Cheers my brick is now Lazarus!!!

Thanks for the help above - it helped unbrick my unresponsive zen after (cough) accidentally deleting something I shouldn't have...see another thread.

BTW I have lost root as a result, but that is simple enough to rectify I guess.

So many thanks Bernard, I owe you a beer or three.

cheers

Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Hey ryan49ryan I followed ur instructions but the Mount R/W button nvr appeared i need more help

Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 PM

Default New root explorer

Try installing the latest version of root explorer. The one I included is really outdated now. Here is the newest version that should work better.

Tags
android market, market, root, translate, zen touch 2