android
Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Installation is indeed simple. However you don't seem to understand that's not what I'm talking with. Considering how many "how do I" questions you've asked I think you would consider that before you say how easy it is for a person that just heard of Rockbox to get started.

Setting Rockbox up to take the best advantage of what it has isn't hard but not nearly as simple as the installation. Some are willing to go through that, others aren't. Considering it's a nice addition but by no means a necessity I believe it's best to point out that there's pluses and minuses.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The Clip+ is a damn fine player out the box. Not all of mine are Rockboxed and while I seriously enjoy what Rockbox brings I wouldn't cry about it if it wasn't available. I'd might sniffle a little bit but I wouldn't cry.

I don't encourage anyone to use Rockbox. I prefer to point out that it exists as an alternative and has features I enjoy quite a bit. That's mainly because there's a learning curve that isn't present when you use the sandisk firmware. Some people prefer to deal with it, others don't
Completely agree. Sansa stock firmware is easy as pie, everything is intuitive. RB on the other hand had me stumped a few times, I even needed to read the manual and get my head around how it makes databases etc. I still never got it to save a 'on the fly' playlist correctly

And I also enjoy some audio tweaks (namely crossfade, added shortcuts etc), but if it didn't exist it wouldn't have stopped me from ranting or owning a sansa product. RB is a definite welcome edition to the sansa range, but its not the be all and end all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Well that's kinda bs. Rockbox by default isn't any more or less difficult than the OF it's just different.
Yer making assumptions about users, not everyone is as tech savy as you. If i told my wife to go get the rb installer and rb her player she would look at me strangely and struggle with the task. FWIW the installer has failed for me in the past and i had to dbl check how to do it manually (for fear of messing up and bricking the player).

Quote:
All I'm doing is pointing out that to take full advantage of Rockbox has to offer isn't as simple as using the sandisk firmware. I've dealt with dozens of people on this site that have difficulty dealing with Rockbox. I've installed, and uninstalled if for at least 30 people in real life. That experience says Rockbox isn't for everyone. Especially if they haven't done the reading and thinking it over that won't have them looking for help as soon as they install.
+1.
It's a case of "can i be bothered to learn something that's got heaps of options and depths to it for the benefit of gaining a, b and c?" Or shall i just keep to what i know and forget about needing a, b or c?
There are PLENTY of people that fall into the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
well i don't think that downloading and extracting a file and then providing the unzipped contents when asked for it is rocket science but maybe i'm the exception.
We are the exception. Sansa don't just sell to us geeks, they sell to the elderly and non tech savy ppl who want instant gratification out of the box without further learning curves and hunting around.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM

Well got the player and 32GB storage today. I'll see how I get on with it when I play around with it

Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats

Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 PM

Cheers.

Player is a hell of a lot smaller than I expected, I really have to try hard not to lose this thing
Well I updated the Clip+ to the latest official firmware.
If I had to be picky, it would be with the following:...
- Not the best max volume; not loud enough. Can just about tolerate it though with my ie8’s with triple flange silicone tips, as they isolate sound extremely well.
Nope don’t have a portable amp either.
- Database refresh every time something has been changed, quite annoying but doesn’t take too long. I know this has already been mentioned
- Player can’t remember what you last played when switching on again. Unless I’m doing something wrong?
- This I have to really bitch about – It doesn’t seem to read my SanDisk 32GB class 4 micro SD card. It seems a number of people seem to have this problem with their 32GB cards as well. But quite ironic how a class 4 SanDisk doesn’t read on a SanDisk player :P

Hmmm that’s about it really, otherwise a fun player to own.
Not much to learn about its functionalities reading the whole online manual. I’ve gotten used to using almost everything now apart from ‘slot music’ and ‘slot radio’ which I don’t think I will ever use.

As far as that 32GB card dilemma stands, people with Rockbox seem to have no problems having their cards read.
So installing Rockbox will be my next step. Again once the Cowon z2 returns that 32GB card will be used with the z2, so no biggy if I have no luck running it on a clip+

Just to finally add the 8GB card I have is also SanDisk but a class 2. This seems to work fine on the Clip+
Well when I get around to installing Rockbox later I’ll have a mess around then, otherwise quite happy for what I’ve paid for

Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Rockbox should fix the sd card issue, and also it will resume play from last song (including whereabouts in song) upon resume. I think rb might increase volume output... but i might be wrong.
I think it's really interesting you find it not loud enough at highest level because i'm sure I felt similarly when i first got a clip. But i replaygained my music to 94db which i think overall increases the volume of my collection. Newer material released seems to be similarly matched i.e. i notice less difference if i forget to replaygain newer albums etc.
Around these parts people think im deaf cause i like to listen to my stuff at loudish volumes, yer the first in awhile to think top volume on a player aint loud enough

PS i used mp3gain to increase volume of my music in a non permanent way.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Check your volume setting under Settings=>System settings. If you don't see a Normal-High setting that means the region is set to EU and the volume is capped. If you reset the settings and pick anything else other than EU the volume will be quite a bit louder. If that's not it I don't know what the issue might be.

The Clip+ isn't the loudest player around but it should be able to push your Senns to a decent level. A 16 ohm IEM rated at a SPL of 125 should be sensitive enough to not have any volume problems unless something is wrong.

If you set a custom EQ that also drops the volume. I believe that's in place to help prevent distortion when people use positive values in their EQ settings. Annoying, but there's no way around it I've found. You can try boosting the volume by about 4 bumps before you try to set the EQ. Even then I've found the results less than optimal. If you want a really good the equalizer the 5 band parametric equalizer in Rockbox is the best I've come across on a portable player.

IIRC the database refresh under the sandisk firmware resets things so that it doesn't start where you left off. If there's no database refresh it should start back where it was when you turned it off.

A 32 GB card should work regardless of maker. The two 32 GB sandisk I have work with no problems. I usually use the SDFormatter on a card before the first use but with these I used it on one and didn't on the other. They both worked on first use and seem to perform the same for transfer speed and reliability.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 PM

Wow Rockbox really does make the original firmware look horrible

- volume waaay too low - fixed!
- Database refresh - Rockbox doesn't know the meaning of this! - fixed!
- Resume playback - fixed!
- 32GB sd card read issue - fixed!

I can't bitch about anything right now, Rockbox has shut my moaning up :P

I want to touch up again on the volume gains I've had using Rockbox.... just phenomenal!! Max volume is now way tooo frikin loud for me to bear haa.
I will say this with confidence, that the Clip+ with Rockbox puts the Cowon z2 (with standard firmware) to absolute shame in volume gains. Even on the highest volume (as much as it hurts) the music quality is still crisp. The IE8 sound bloody brilliant on the Clip+.
Maybe my mind is playing games as its way past 5am and I've not been to sleep yet.... but I wasn't expecting to be this shocked in performance by just putting Rockbox on, my IEM's are loving it!

Damn I could do with a Rockbox or something similar for the Cowon z2, arghhhhh!
Otherwise this little Clip+ beast is going to certainly put it to shame in at least 1 way

Definitely recommend putting Rockbox on for any new buyers of the Sansa Clip+

Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Administrator

If the volume increased that dramatically I suspect your volume gain was due to Rockbox not being volume limited like the sandisk firmware probably was. If you didn't read what I said and reset the region from the EU the volume would be fairly low.

There was a good deal of testing done when the volume levels were set in early stages of Rockbox being ported to the Clip+. The decision was made for Rockbox to have a higher volume level from 0 to +6. Setting it that high usually brings on distortion. Everything below that is the same as the sandisk firmware when the region isn't set to EU and limited by that setting.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The decision was made for Rockbox to have a higher volume level from 0 to +6. Setting it that high usually brings on distortion. Everything below that is the same as the sandisk firmware when the region isn't set to EU and limited by that setting.
Even I (deaf Bruce Banner) never went past +3 and certainly never 6. Usually i was listening at 0.

FWIW I was (and still am) a huge sansa rb fan. My favorite of all (sansa gear) i have tried would be the fuzev2 (not to be confused with the fuze+!), for me its extra size and better screen quality (and wheel control) and more battery life trumped the clip+ or clipzip. But of course the clip+ wins hands down as best exercise DAP period.

But perhaps you'll find it interesting to note that I now own the cowon C2 DAP to which i believe I think is the best player I have ever owned. I did a rather lengthy review that you should be able to find on ABI if yer curious, I especially talk about the custom firmware (like rb) that saved this device from being a flop (for me).
But not everyone feels the same as me, enjoy yer clip+!!

Last edited by BruceBanner; 01-18-2013 at 01:20 AM.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM

Cheers.

Quote:
Check your volume setting under Settings=>System settings. If you don't see a Normal-High setting that means the region is set to EU and the volume is capped.
Aha. Decided to boot into original firmware and have another play around.
My bad I have it set to High volume; luckily the region wasn't locked then. More than enough volume in that firmware now, thanks

Also I have now noticed that my 32GB card now reads in original firmware??? Very strange, I wonder if putting Rockbox did something?

The Rockbox Clip+ manual is like 206 pages....Quite a jump from reading reading a 38 page original Clip+ manual!!!
Better be careful I don't press too many buttons at the same time