android
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Default Hard drive Upgrade Problems (Toshiba MK8025GAL)

I'm trying to upgrade my the hard drive in my Zen Vision:M to a Toshiba MK8025GAL, but I'm encountering some problems.
First of all, even with what I believe to be copious sanding of the back of it (it's rather hard to tell how much I've actually thinned it down by, though) the ZIF connector will not fit any more than 2mm into the hard drive. It just stops dead, no matter what. Is it supposed to go in further than this, or should 2mm be enough?
Assuming 2mm is enough, that means I have another problem. When I try to format the drive like this, it says there's a hard drive problem. But since both the hard drive and the ZIF connector had been purchased for the upgrade (mine used a pin connector before), I don't know which, if either, is the faulty one.
Any suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Depending on how deeply you've sanded, there should be a line silk-screened on the ribbon cable showing the proper connection depth - make sure the black latch on the HDD has been raised. If I recall correctly, 2mm should be enough for a solid link (not prepared to crack open mine at the moment). As it is, unless you can hear some drive activity and/or have an external enclosure, it'd be difficult to diagnose anything with the drive. I'd err on the ZIF being damaged from sanding.

It should be noted that some have been wary about sanding the ZIF ribbon. I only sparingly did it on one of the two players I was upgrading, deciding to quit while I was ahead.
Nokia Lumia 822 16GB+64GB

Old 01-12-2013, 04:15 PM

I didn't hear any drive activity when I had it hooked up, so I suppose that would suggest the problem is more likely to be the ZIF ribbon.
I have also since tested the ZIF socket in the hard drive by slipping a little piece of paper into it, just to see how far it would go in, and it was indeed just 2mm. So that depth should have been fine.

I suppose my next step is to test this hard drive to make sure it actually does work (I believe a friend of mine has a ZIF to USB adaptor), and if it does work, get another ZIF ribbon, and if it doesn't, send it back.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 AM

I've tested the hard drive now and it works fine, which means it was the ZIF ribbon which was at fault. So I've ordered another, and once that arrives I should be able to install my new hard drive.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunino-sagiri View Post
I've tested the hard drive now and it works fine, which means it was the ZIF ribbon which was at fault. So I've ordered another, and once that arrives I should be able to install my new hard drive.
I had similar situation with a faulty Zif ribbon. I would try installing the new one before sanding down. You have insert the zif connector into the hdd with 'delicately force'. It doesn't have to go in much to make the necessary contact. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Okay, I've got the new ZIF cable, and now I seem to be having new problems.
I've connected the hard drive up, and it's making noises (which presumably means the ZIF cable must be working this time). But when I try to format it, it still says 'Hard disk Problem'. Also, the noises it makes don't seem too normal - the first time I tried it it made a strangled whirring about three times (as though it were trying to spin up but couldn't), and the second time I just got a rhythmic ticking, almost like a clock, which kept going even when the player was sitting passive.
Clearly there's something wrong, but I don't know what, since the hard drive itself works fine when connected to my computer (having said that, it did make that same strangled whirring the first time I connected it to the computer, and the computer couldn't find it. But them I removed the ribbon cable and reconnected it and it worked fine, and I haven't had the problem again when connecting it to my computer).

Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 AM

are you sure you have zif connected properly? did you sand the new one down or not yet? does the toshiba hdd have that little black tab you can pop up that makes the zif easier to connect?

Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 PM

I have lifted the little tab, and I have not sanded the ZIF (I did so with the previous one and ruined it, and as I gather from posts in this forum, sanding is no actually necessary, it simply makes insertion easier). I am as certain as I can be that I have inserted the ZIF properly. It is in as far as it will go (which is just as far as the ZIF for the USB cradle goes in, and it works with that). The ZIF must be in, anyway, as the hard drive does receive power (it tries to spin, as I said). It just doesn't respond as it should do and the player doesn't recognize it.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 AM

Sounds like you probably have another bad zif connector. Not sure if you purchased from the same seller. I see this one on ebay and it ships worldwide

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-Zen...item35c33ac82f

Old 01-18-2013, 05:11 PM

I did buy it from the same seller, yes. I had no choice, as they were the only one (and I assumed that I had ruined the first one, rather than it being dud all along. I never did try it without sanding, though, so I don't know for certain). I'm certainly not buying that one from America; international shipping is $29. That's utterly ridiculous.
The thing is, I don't want to assume that the ZIF is dodgy and go and order another one unless I'm absolutely certain that it is the ZIF that is the problem. I might order it and just end up with the exact same problem as before. That's why I'm so stuck about what I should do - I have no way to be absolutely sure which component the problem lies with.
I thought the ZIF cables were pretty simple, anyway? Just a couple dozen flat wires all running parallel. Surely it should either work properly or not work at all, rather than sort-of working as it is with me (as there very definitely is power getting to the hard drive, but it's just not spinning up properly or being recognized by the player system).