android
Old 10-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
It isn't that cheap though at around $180. It doesn't have HD radio or a second card slot. The camera is low resolution. It might be the best thing thing available for $180, however it doesn't thrill me.
Nothing thrills you, as your requirements are unrealistic.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk98 View Post
it isn't that cheap though at around $180. It doesn't have hd radio or a second card slot. The camera is low resolution. It might be the best thing thing available for $180, however it doesn't thrill me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the darkside View Post
nothing thrills you, as your requirements are unrealistic.
smiley-signs011.gifsmiley-signs064.gifsmiley-signs013.gif

Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Nothing thrills you, as your requirements are unrealistic.
That probably explains why I am still single.

When I got my first Sandisk Fuze over 4 years ago I was thrilled, as it was my first player with a card slot, and it was quite different in functionality than my previous players. Since then nothing I have seen is such a great leap forward above the Fuze for playing music. GPS is nice though, but not a necessity for a music player.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

smiley-signs108.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
When I got my first Sandisk Fuze over 4 years ago I was thrilled
Hard to believe it has been that long! The Fuze, and shortly thereafter the Clip, were my first ever DAP's (I'm not counting the portable CD players from years past).

What a wacky and fun ride it has been since then...I've gone through a lot of players.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preth30 View Post
Mp3 players sound much much better, no doubt. Somes phones sound good, but if you compare them with good pmps like Sansa clip, Fuze, Cowon D2 etc, you feel you really are missing a lot of juice in music played on a phone. My brother was always praising his HTC HD 1 for its sound quality. But after he listened to my Cowon D2, he never used his HTC for music.
Hello,

Im new to the world of portable audio.
can voodoo compatible phones keep up with good pmps?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusius View Post
Hello,

Im new to the world of portable audio.
can voodoo compatible phones keep up with good pmps?
Yeah, but I think you already know that it can. Only a tech head knows about the voodoo kernel.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 12-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 AM

Ive read about it, but never heard it myself. found different and contradictory opinions on forums, which confuses me. I was just wondering wether it sounds as good as the best non hifi player (cowon?).

Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Some say it's great, some say it's worthless. I believe the accounts that say it's worth it. Give it a try,...I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Cant try it on my nokia. I'd have to buy a phone that supports voodoo, what Im probably gonna do. Im aiming for a SGS(1) or Nexus S. Their hardware is about as outdated as the Cowon Z2's (still enough for me), but: +phone +mobile net +battery exchange, at equal battery life + only half the price of a Z2

To all people interested in voodoo sound: it mainly supports old devices with certain wolfson DACs. SGSIII (int., kor) support is in progress, but the developper has paused. LG 2x: speakers dont work w/ voodoo and headphone sound isnt that great.

mfg

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusius View Post
Cant try it on my nokia. I'd have to buy a phone that supports voodoo, what Im probably gonna do.
alright, I purchased a Nexus S i9020 on ebay for ~165$. hopefully it'll arrive before christmas. looking forward to use it with my HD25s.

Last edited by Confusius; 12-16-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Android smartphone IMO. Android PMPs tend to be underpowered given their price tag (I'm looking at you Cowon).

My PMP Check-list,

1. Android = Poweramp; MortPlayer Audio Books; Tunein Radio; Rockbox (very unstable though); Browser with flash; File Manger; Download Manger; Apps/Games and GPS. It's basically a pocket PC.
The one thing I absolutely despise about iOS (owner of a 4G Touch) is the lack of a native file system/browse by folder option. Yes, you can jailbreak the Touch and use iFile's music player, but 3rd party audio bookmarking apps will not recognise iFile's music player, like they do with the native iOS music app.
2. 720p screen.
3. Expandable memory.
4. Removable battery.
5. Tactile buttons would be nice, but their absence can be remedied by programming a 3 button headset.

Check GSMArena for audio output/quality figures.

Can't wait to upgrade by GS2 next year!!! (horrible background noise).

Old 12-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK27 View Post
Android smartphone IMO. Android PMPs tend to be underpowered given their price tag (I'm looking at you Cowon).
Yeah it seems to be tough to compete with either the quality or features of Android phones, I'm guessing because they sell so many millions of each phone model. In comparison even a popular PMP probably gets no where near that, so they have to cut corners.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, with the exception of Cowon, all the other Android PMPs are basically the leftover hardware from the previous generation smartphones.

That has seemed to be Cowon's pattern of late, recycling old parts....they just haven't ever sold a smartphone...lol.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK27 View Post

My PMP Check-list,

1. Android = Poweramp; MortPlayer Audio Books; Tunein Radio; Rockbox (very unstable though); Browser with flash; File Manger; Download Manger; Apps/Games and GPS. It's basically a pocket PC.
The one thing I absolutely despise about iOS (owner of a 4G Touch) is the lack of a native file system/browse by folder option. Yes, you can jailbreak the Touch and use iFile's music player, but 3rd party audio bookmarking apps will not recognise iFile's music player, like they do with the native iOS music app.
2. 720p screen.
3. Expandable memory.
4. Removable battery.
5. Tactile buttons would be nice, but their absence can be remedied by programming a 3 button headset.

Check GSMArena for audio output/quality figures.

Can't wait to upgrade by GS2 next year!!! (horrible background noise).
i carry 2 extra batteries with me for my smartphone. i charge my walkman once every 2-3 days and that's with using it pretty much all day. could care less about 720p since i only use it for audio. it would be nice if they came out with something with great battery life because i would love to use it for podcasts which i listen to a crap ton of. oh and i can't change songs really quickly with the player hanging from a laynard under 3 layers of clothes in the winter. gets cold as heck here and i like to listen to music and stuff while shoveling

Old 12-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 AM

Just thought I'd post an update.

Ended up buying the Galaxy Player 4.2 in the sales for 71.99

No regrets. For that price can't fault it. My iPod touch 4G is just a hand-held gaming device now.

My recommended apps:

Main Music Player: Poweramp
Podcast/Audiobook player: MortPlayer Audiobooks
Podcast apps: Stitcher Radio / Podcast Addict
Radio: TuneIn Radio
Video: MX Player
Pictures: QuickPic
Maintenance: Android Assistant / History Eraser / Clean Master

Root your device and uninstall/freeze bloatware to increase device performance!

Couldn't be bothered waiting for Cowon to release a decent android PMP.