android
Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Default 300GB MP3 Solution?

Hello all,

I'm stuck and would like some assistance or opinions.

So I dropped my ipod in the river a fews years back, and have still not found a replacement. Why? I have a serious requirement that knock most solutions out of the running. I need to be able to load 300GB of music, 80,000 to 100,000 songs.

Now before anyone makes a comments like: "why do you need som many" "No one needs that much." "Did you buy them all" "How can you possibly listen...."

With all due respect, I am not interested in whether you believe I need 300GB or not.

I've tried the Archos, and they can't handle it (mainly due to Android, I beleive, but I can't cannot difinitively say that). 4 different Archos high capaicity hard drive models. Seems that the Android system can only handle so many songs before it just dies.

The new 250GB SDHC cards are interesting, but I have my doubts about hardware that can read 100,000 songs form an SD slot.... That would be the perfect solution.

I have a 350 GB 10 inch windows 8 tablet, but after some playing with it, I determined that I was wrong in believing I could deal with a Giant MP3 player like that. Just not as mobile, and there are envornomental limnitations. Can't really seal it in a waterproof tablet bag, as it has a fan.

Ther that is my summary. I hope this post finds an extremely knowledgable and experienced member who has been through what I am going through, and found the solution.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 PM

Don't know if this is helpful or not, but in your situation, I would try a 240GB ipod classic. Of course, its actual capacity is only 223 GB. There are usually several available at any given time on ebay, and one seller actually provides a back plate inscribed with "240 GB":
http://www.ebay.com/itm/240GB-Apple-...item2a267bca6b

I can't think of any other options, sorry.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Very nice iPod,...

Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

yeah, the hacked ipod is your largest capacity player that is worth a damn. have you looked into cloud storage options at all? I havent so not sure if it is a possibility or not. other people have also carried multiple SD cards but that would be crazy for your volume of music.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can you put a larger HD into the Ipod?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Archos makes a few 500gb players,...they maybe worth a look.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Apparently not....
Quote:
Originally Posted by teramusic View Post

I've tried the Archos, and they can't handle it (mainly due to Android, I beleive, but I can't cannot difinitively say that). 4 different Archos high capaicity hard drive models. Seems that the Android system can only handle so many songs before it just dies.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I briefly looked at those, but the are a fair amount of militant slam reviews on them.

The problem is that this is outlier territory and no one really wants (or has the imagination) to venture out there as the ROI is probably non-existent. A few music uber-nerds isn't going to fill up the coffers.

I'm in the same boat, but probably need more than 500gb due to rip rate. I was always worried about HD based systems though.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Archos has locked down firmware - ecosystems,...

Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What about multiple players? Such as two Cowon x7's, or two ipod classics? Seems silly perhaps, but have A-L on one player and M-Z on the other? Gotta be better and more portable than a 10inch tablet :S

I find it interesting that in peoples search for a massive storage player that considerations such as sound quality, practicality, expense can go out the window.
For example, imagine Archos did make a player that took 500gb, but the sound was sucky, would you treat yer ears to that just so u have all yer songs with u at all times?
I would rather compromise and develop good music swopping practices, or have many sd cards or whatever and run it on a decent player than sacrifice sound quality or other aspects.

When the Xclef 80gb player was released i was well happy that i could have all my music on my player. My player also acted as a secondary backup to what was on the pc so that was cool too. So i do understand ppl wanting to, but I think the search narrows massively when we're talking about 300gb worth.. You might have to compromise like so many of us have.
In the end what is more important, having the choice to listen to anything u want at any time but experiencing bad sound, or having less choice of what to listen to but at least opening many many options to finding a player that ticks all other important considerations as well as treating yer ears to some very nice sound? For me it's the latter.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Thanks for all the comments.

Ho hum. Bummer. Thouhgt maybe something new was ut there that I've not tried. I forgot to mention I'm interested in a tuch screen and the ability to search. The classic ipod held a lot, but man, if you didn't a have play list, what a pain to find stuff.

I'm perfectly happy with using SD cards, as they are now up to 250GB, but how many players can really read them. And as silly as multiple players might seem, I've considered it. Figuring out a way to backup playlists is an issue when I start thinking about multiple anything... but I might just have to suck it up eventually.

The cloud will not work as many times I am in areas with no running water or electricity, hence, no cloud.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm,...as suggested, get the Cowon X7. Then get a larger hdd and increase it's capacity. I own the X9, so I'm limited in my options.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Do yer research and be careful, cowon are known for having number of file limitations. So perhaps u do as The Darkside says and grab an X7 and put a beefier HDD inside, will the players software see all the files?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teramusic View Post
The cloud will not work as many times I am in areas with no running water or electricity, hence, no cloud.
I'd think if that's the case I'd take a fistfull of clips? with 64gb cards. I wouldn't rely on any one player, because it's bound to fail at the very worst time.

(I haven't had a clip, but everyone is tempting me).

Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 PM

Find a Cowon V5,O2 or D2 and buy 3 128GB SDXC cards for it. Or just find any old DAP that accepts full SD cards.

Last edited by Lagoo56; 01-04-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What about that new iriver double sd card slot device, could take take two 250gb cards? I mean if cash wasn't an issue.
That might seem crazy bucks to spend, but i know MANY people who spend thousands of dollars on macbook pro's and use solely for facebooking, I can imagine some audio enthusiasts parting with $1500-$2000 if they got EXACTLY what they wanted.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM

Yeah, Money isn't the problem. I'm not sure which devices can read a 250GB card. I'm trying to get Cowon to build me one with high capacity.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:32 PM

Perhaps Rockbox can help deal with file limitations.

The Archos players are criticized because both the hardware and firmware discourage upgrades and the European volume cap discourages listening.

Conversions for older players are possible with SDXC to compact flash / PATA adapters.

It would be nice if players incorporated SDXC rather than microSDXC as SDXC seems to get the larger capacities first and are less expensive.l