android
Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 AM

Help audiobook player with 2.5" screen?

Hi, advice please,

I'm looking for a audiobook player for my aunt who has problems with her eyesight so screen must be at least 2.5 inches. It also needs to have physical buttons as she has a mental block when it comes to touchscreens. Simple interface and syncing is a must. I'm thinking drag and drop. Bookmarking features and compatible with overdrive.

Is there such a player? I don't mind discontinued models as long as I can get good refurbs and the software is available. I'd even consider one of those chinese mock ups if anyone can recommend a reliable one.

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Since you're willing to deal with older models a Zune 30 would seem a likely candidate. They have the large screen, tactile buttons, bookmarking and OverDrive compatibility you're looking for and there's usually a ton of them available. Check Cowboom.

The bad part is they haven't been made for some time so whatever you find probably won't have great battery life. The good part is the battery is super simple to replace. No soldering required. There suppliers and direction easily available if you google for "zune 30 battery replacement directions". You can find video guides on youtube with the same search terms.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM

This should help your search. http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/ Looks like the sansas will probably be your best bet. Or a sony if you don't mind paying a little more. Sony is awesome imo.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 AM

Thanks Skip252 I'll have a look, mamamia88, which sony/s are you talking about? There are loads.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM

The ones listed on that page when you sort by portable stuff. The s-series even has some built in speakers.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Administrator

If I were able to find a NWZ S545 I would have suggested it, but I can't. At least not at a decent price. The cheapest I can find one is ~$250 on eBay. It's a nice DAP but that price is much too high imo.

The other tactile button models on that page have the smaller 2" screen. That extra .5" might not seem like much but could be a deal breaker for someone with poor vision.

Same for the current Walkman models. They top out at 2". If that's large enough for the end user, I'd go for it. If not, there's not anything else I know that fills all the requirements.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 AM

Could you maybe get her an e-ink ereader? I know that the kindle you can even sync audibook audio with were you left off on the reading of the book. They are big and easy on the eyes. But you said overdrive not sure how it would work. Kobo seems to be compatable with overdrive but not sure about physical buttons or the interface since i've never used the kobo.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM

Hi guys,

She's fallen in love with my mom's ipod but is shocked by the price so was looking for something cheap enough that she can try and not feel she has to because it cost the earth. Actual reading hurts her eyes so an ereader wouldn't do, good idea though. Any more options if the overdrive compatibility is forgotten about. She actually isn't aware of the service yet but just started using it myself and thought she'd be into it.

The screen size really does have to be 2.5 or higher. I showed her my fuze and she thought the screen on that was small! Otherwise I'd have got her a clip ages ago.

Thanks for the time you've spent on this.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Look for a refurb iPod video 5.5G. It can be had for around $99 if you look hard enough. Put a case on it and she's good to go!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM

Yeah, I might have to go that route, cheers Darkside

Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. It's actually a great option,...no shame to the game!!! It's about a educated decision, and the iPod I best here. Too bad the Zune is DOA.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM

you can still get zunes for a decent price at http://www.cowboom.com/search/results.cfm?keywords=zune owned by bestbuy

Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 PM

I looked at the zune but apparently they don't work with wmp. Maybe if I can find it cheap enough. At the moment sony S544 is looking best but they are few and far between

Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zune players ONLY work with the Zune PC client/software. There's a workaround, but it's not for the non-techie.

As for the Sony s544, here's a Google search: http://www.google.com/search?q=sony+...obile&ie=UTF-8

Here's the s545 search as well: http://www.google.com/search?num=30&....1.wzTCHttzVZI

I luv Sony Walkman players myself,...I use my S639 every nite to listen to a little music before bed.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The Zune players ONLY work with the Zune PC client/software. There's a workaround, but it's not for the non-techie.

As for the Sony s544, here's a Google search: http://www.google.com/search?q=sony+...obile&ie=UTF-8

Here's the s545 search as well: http://www.google.com/search?num=30&....1.wzTCHttzVZI

I luv Sony Walkman players myself,...I use my S639 every nite to listen to a little music before bed.
leave it to microsoft to create an mp3 player that doesn't work with wmp. Talk about farsighted. Probably should have build that functionality into wmp rather than create an entirely new piece of software.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's what we all said. And I've owned all the Zune's except 1, and that's the little flash based models. I loved the 120 too,...just wanted a custom eq on it is all. I was almost banned from the official Zune.net forums for complaining. I think I even started a (wasted effort) online petition.

Oh, well,...back on topic.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Administrator

The Overdrive console is used to sync Overdrive books onto a Zune. You need to install the Zune software for the initial setup of the player but after that the console does the transfers. The Overdrive console isn't the most intuitive software for removing audiobooks but it does a nice job of transferring and maintaining a Overdrive library.

I know a couple of seniors that have it setup for their Zunes and I don't get any calls to help them take care of that part of things. Considering I do get calls from one of them to help at the times when WMP screws something up that says a lot about how well the Console works with the Zune.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Then if the Overdrive console works well the Zune should still be a possible consideration.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM

It does thanks. Zune or Sony it is then. whichever one I get depends on price I think but done googling now. You helpful people have drastically cut through the 1000's of research results I was trolling through before this post. Give yourselves pats on the back lol

Old 01-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

All in a days work!!! LOL!!!

Tags
2.5 screen, audiobook player, bookmarking