android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Administrator

There's differences in the Clip+ and Clip Zip using the sandisk firmware that go beyond just the changes in the screen and additional codec support. There is a lot more that happens in the background with the Clip Zip. Some of the differences like tag reading can make a Clip Zip much more difficult to use. As the same files work on your Clip+ and don't on your Clip Zip I believe you've run into some of those differences.

In the times I've tried using the sandisk firmware, not for audiobooks, I've found that there's something very different in how it reads tags. The same files that read with 100% reliability on a Clip+ sometimes showed up with missing tags or not at all. The difference seems to be the tag encoding.

Files tagged with MP3tag as ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 encoding were read properly. Files tagged as ID3v2.3 UTF-16 were hit or miss. Sometimes worked properly, sometimes information was missing or listed as Unknown. Files tagged ID3v2.4 UTF-8 were either not visible or listed as Unknown. Having either ID3v1 or APEv2 tags would also interfere with the tags being read and whether or not the files would appear on the player.

Interestingly I ran into situations where just re-tagging the files with encoding that was known to be good wasn't enough to cause them to appear properly. I had to remove them from the player, let the database refresh and then add the files that I had "corrected" back to the player. If the corrected files had the expected tag encoding the worked.

I discovered this on a Clip Zip using the sandisk firmware that didn't have Rockbox installed. Installing Rockbox didn't make a difference in the sandisk firmware but the same files that either didn't appear at all or had missing info in the OF displayed all their info in Rockbox.

Automatic Resume in Rockbox works for me. Have you initialized the database? Looking at the manual http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...#x11-1490008.8 it says the resume points are stored there so you'll need to have the database working as part of having automatic resume work properly.

Edit: Working off memory here but it seems I also had to have Bookmarking set to Create bookmarks on stop and the database set to Auto Update. I'm not sure about the correct setup anymore as I stopped using auto resume a good while back. As a music only listener resuming in the middle of a track was more distracting than helpful.

Last edited by skip252; 01-06-2013 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Added info about bookmarks setting and auto update database