android
Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXVI View Post
Although a tiny bit 'artificial', this setting is like comparing SD to HD in the tv-world.
Very apt analogy.

Just one personal note on this EQ... while listening to music through headphones it's great. Only one "layer" of EQ.

But when my J3 is in use in my car, connected from the headphone jack to the 3.5mm AUX input of the car's audio system, it is overkill and has to be turned off. In fact, I go back to "normal" with no BBE assist, without even the standard minimalist "BBE" preset.

In other words, I've got the car system's own tone controls (EQ functionality in the head-unit, very nice Harman-Kardon MBZ multi-speaker system) set to produce excellent sound from CDs. Adding any "second layer of EQ" from the J3 running MDWright1032 or any BBE-enhancements at all overdoes the tonal boosts.

The J3 with plain ordinary "normal" (i.e. "off") set for BBE, seems to be the best "line-level un-boosted flat" source input for my car's audio system as I've got it tweaked.

Speaks to the quality of the J3's native audio output.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2011, 02:37 PM

Does anyone have the panasonic hje900 headphones? I find the treble to be a bit harsh sometimes. Anyone have any good BBE and equalizer suggestions?

Old 02-02-2011, 01:47 AM

I regret what I said at page 1. After approximately a week, the treble in the EQ annoyed me, so I had to adjust it to fit my needs properly. Final result with my Hippo VBs:
3 3 -2 5 8
80 220 1.4 3.0 13
Wide Normal Narrow Normal Wide

BBE 9
M3B 8
3DS 2
MPE On
SE 2
Rev Off

Old 02-02-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkg View Post
Does anyone have the panasonic hje900 headphones? I find the treble to be a bit harsh sometimes. Anyone have any good BBE and equalizer suggestions?
basically just turn down everything but ~1k. . .

Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM
ABI Invaluable

I adjust my settings and save to the user defined for 3 of my iem’s, I leave the last one open to try out different settings to see which I like best and easy to switch back/forth kinda like A/B'ing your settings. That said, I agree with everyone that stated what sounds best to you with the headphones you use is the best way to go.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-03-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber
But when my J3 is in use in my car, connected from the headphone jack to the 3.5mm AUX input of the car's audio system, it is overkill and has to be turned off. In fact, I go back to "normal" with no BBE assist, without even the standard minimalist "BBE" preset.

In other words, I've got the car system's own tone controls (EQ functionality in the head-unit, very nice Harman-Kardon MBZ multi-speaker system) set to produce excellent sound from CDs. Adding any "second layer of EQ" from the J3 running MDWright1032 or any BBE-enhancements at all overdoes the tonal boosts.
Same goes for my Bose speakers at home. Bought during the time where I thought price and quality goes hand in hand. Any preset distorts the sound at high volume from the AUX unless I use SQ without enhancements or play music from the computer through the speaker's own soundcard. But oh well, I guess that has also been mentioned before related to Bose systems, heh.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Any time you use a DAP connected to another stereo, whether it is a car stereo or home unit, you should disable its EQ and other enhancements....I've found this to be true with Sansa, Sony, Samsung, Creative, and Apple players, so far. I haven't used my Cowon player with a stereo yet, but I will continue the practice if I do.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM

If anyone is interest, I finally found a good balance for my panasonic HJE-900 headphones. I didn't want anything too drastic, just a little to compensate for the harsh treble (around 7.5 kHz, I checked) and beef up the bass and apparent sound-stage just a touch.

1 0 0 3 -5
105 220 1.4 3.0 6.9
wide normal normal wide normal

BBE off
M3B 3
3DS off
MPE On
SE 2
Rev Off

No idea what this would sound like on other phones, but this is perfect for me now.

Last edited by folkg; 05-21-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Update tweak to current settings

Old 02-21-2011, 05:05 PM

I wanted to give my EQ as well :

Shure SE420 with custom tips :
80Hz 0
500 Hz Wide 2
1.1 Hz Wide 2
2.4 Hz Wide 2
6.9 Hz Wide 0

Mach3Bass 4

That's all ^^

Sennheiser IE8 with custom tips :

Haven't figured it out yet, for some reason I'm in the mood for a super clear sound with emphasized mediums with SE420 right now.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Bumping old thread, hoping somebody will be able ro help me.
I recently bought J3 and I have Audio-Technica ES55, can anybody suggest EQ settings for this combo? I listen to different music, from prog-rock(e.g Rush, Gentle Giant) to djent(Periphery, Tesseract). Here's freq response I was able to find: http://en.goldenears.net/en/files/at...5ff618a264.png
I've tried mdwright1032's settings, sounds not bad, but guitar almost killed.
Thank you in advance.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh i'm bumping old thread also, i tried mdwright1032's settings and really liked them also, but I could see why Urne felt after a week the treble was too high for him, i tried Urne's settings but felt it got a little muddy for my liking. I'm gonna keep having a fiddle.
What i'm looking for tho (incase i fail) is mdwright1032's settings with less bass (but keeping that clear open soundstage). 90% of my music its fine for, but the odd rap/hiphop track with heavy bass i get distortion, i want to try and keep the volume the same but minimise the distortion and i dont know where to start. I tried keeping all his settings the same but have mach3bass off completely but its not enough.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Yeh i'm bumping old thread also, i tried mdwright1032's settings and really liked them also, but I could see why Urne felt after a week the treble was too high for him
Other threads have sprouted up over the past two years here (and also in iAudiophile.net) dealing with BBE/EQ settings.

But you really have expect that everybody's ears are different, and unless you're using the same headphones as the other user it's virtually impossible that their setup can work for you.

As far as MDWright1032 goes, it sounded great with my old Sony CD950 headphones, which as it turns out are not that great so the treble boost from this EQ setup really really helped and made it sound good.

But when I bought a REALLY good pair of Shure SRH-940 headphones, I simply couldn't listen to MDWright1032 anymore. Much too bright and harsh. Same ears, same person, same BBE/EQ... but different headphones.

So I had to tone it down. I've now adopted the following "near flat" BBE/EQ setup which is nothing at all like MDWright1032. It's "near flat", to correspond to the excellent SRH-940 headphones:

================================================

EQ:
---------------------
WIDE 135HZ: 3
NORMAL 385: 0
NORMAL 650HZ: 1
NORMAL 2.4KHZ: 2
WIDE 13KHZ: 3

BBE+:
-----------------------
BBE: 8
MACH3BASS: 3
3D SURROUND: OFF
MP ENHANCE: OFF

SE:
--------------------------
STEREO ENHANCE: OFF
REVERB: OFF

========================================

Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I might give those settings a whirl. I also tweaked a little on mdwright's settings and have found a slightly less harsh sound.
It's all very exciting to me lol, previously i was going between BBE Headphone and Headphone 2, now i can see myself being lost in my room for hours lol (poor wife).

Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM

Just got a J3 on Friday, and have been experimenting.
My IEM and Headphone right now are
HiFiMan RE-272 and the Bose AE2
Music Genre: Clasical / Jazz / Fusion

With the Bose AE2, everything sounds pretty good with BBE Heaphone 3 preset.

For the IEMs HiFiMan RE-272 I've been lingering around these configurations.

Classical
Sources: Gustav Mahler Symphonies 3, 4, and 5 (James Levine), Johannes Brahms Cello Sonata No.1 (Isserlis/Hough)
----------
Volume:30-35
----------
EQ:
80 Hz=0 Wide
220 hz=(-5) Wide
780 hz=(-3) Normal
1.8khz=0 Wide
11.7 khz=0 Wide
----------
BBE+:
BBE=5
Mach3Bass=6
3D Surround=3

Jazz/Fusion
Sources: Three by Bob James / Black Market by Weather Report
-------------
Volume 20-25
-------------
EQ:
80 hz=5 Wide
220 hz=(-3) Normal
780 hz=5 Wide
4.1 khz=5 Wide
13 khz=3 Wide
--------------
BBE+
BBE=5
Mach3Bass=3
3D Surround=2

Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

EQ:
---------------------
WIDE 135HZ: 3
NORMAL 385: 0
NORMAL 650HZ: 1
NORMAL 2.4KHZ: 2
WIDE 13KHZ: 3

BBE+:
-----------------------
BBE: 8
MACH3BASS: 3
3D SURROUND: OFF
MP ENHANCE: OFF

SE:
--------------------------
STEREO ENHANCE: OFF
REVERB: OFF
This is a very nice EQ setting! Thanks for posting it!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningistheday View Post
This is a very nice EQ setting! Thanks for posting it!
Just a small tweak... nothing major, but a definite improvement. It's not meant to sound artificially boosted anywhere. It's just meant to "clarify" the music.

I only listen to FLAC (which of course is identical to the original CD/WAV track so there's no lossy psycho-acoustic MP3-related compression effects on the tonal quality of the music). And I use Shure SRH-940 headphones (which are very accurate and very neutral as well). So the EQ setup is "just right" for these headphones.

Essentially, I'm listening to the original music... but just a bit "clearer" and just a bit more "defined", and with a bit more "tone".

Old 08-11-2013, 04:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I think I found my sweet spot, thought I'd share. It's a variation of mdwright's, now however I have more growl for my metal and less tinnyness/harsh trebles. Across all genres I find it suits very well.

EQ:
7 80hz Wide
-1 220hz Normal
5 1.4hz Narrow
6 3.0hz Normal
7 11.7hz Wide

BBE+:
BBE 10
Mach3Bass: 8
3d Surround: 2
Me Enhance: On

Special Effect:
Stereo Enhance: 3
Reverb: Off

Old 08-11-2013, 06:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I think I found my sweet spot, thought I'd share. It's a variation of mdwright's, now however I have more growl for my metal and less tinnyness/harsh trebles. Across all genres I find it suits very well.

EQ:
7 80hz Wide
-1 220hz Normal
5 1.4hz Narrow
6 3.0hz Normal
7 11.7hz Wide

BBE+:
BBE 10
Mach3Bass: 8

3d Surround: 2
Me Enhance: On

Special Effect:
Stereo Enhance: 3
Reverb: Off
With these settings plus the extreme MP3Gain setting you use, it's a miracle you can hear anything but distortion!blink.gif

Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

MP3Gain is now 89db with these settings, not 94db anymore, that makes a significant difference as you all said it would
And yes on paper that seems to cry distortion but oddly I hear far less distortion than mdwrights eq settings at a similar volume, if anything I can go louder with less distortion with my tweaks compared to his! I don't understand either...
Anyway, just thought I'd share as I know many seemed to like mdwrights but found it a bit too harsh at times, I tried to work on keeping it similar and remove the harsh (which to my ears I have done).

PS Marv, this eq/dsp setting seems to oddly have resolved my issue with feeling like I have to change Bass/dsp settings from track to track... I have been throwing all different genres at it, metal, rap, electronica, classical, soundtrack etc and not once have I felt or heard distortion and the need to pull bass down etc. If I had found this eq settings earlier I might never have bought the ZO2

Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
With these settings plus the extreme MP3Gain setting you use, it's a miracle you can hear anything but distortion!Attachment 12247
Knowing what the phones through which this is being listened to and considered "terrific" would be interesting. Also, how were the music files created?

I agree with your assessment that this EQ doesn't seem like it could possibly be "pleasant" under normal circumstances with high-quality headphones.