android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 12-30-2012, 11:55 PM

Default Problem with J3 folder/physical internal storage browser

Hi, this is my first post; so, please, bear with me. I have done a good bit of research on the topic and cannot find anyone with the same issue I have. This is not an un-researched problem. Alright, now on to the trouble. When I select to browse by folder from the first browsing selection screen, I get two options (which is normal). One is named J3 for the internal and the other J3EXT for the sd card. The sd card browsing is fine: all of the folders are correctly named and browse-able. The problem lies in the internal storage. When I tap J3 it leads me to the what is supposed to be the next tier down in the browsing tree. However, all of the folders are renamed. The first three options read "J3," the next two read a random song title. After that, the next three read "Music." When I tap one of these, it leads me to another tier of misnamed folders. I have tried updating the .sol files for the browser. I have tried deleting the system folder and starting from scratch. I have tried basically everything I know how to do. So, if anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-31-2012, 08:38 AM

Sounds like typical corrupted FAT32 file system... You could try running checkdisk in Windows (right click the drive -> properties -> tools -> check now) and see if it can fix it. If nothing else helps then re-formatting the drive should bring it back to life.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM

Also, don't forget to "safely remove hardware" first before you unplug the USB cable after copying music to the J3. This is mandatory for removable devices connected with MSC mode which is the J3 default (unless you changed it to be MTP for some reason).

Failure to "safely remove hardware" can also result in corruption of data and/or the FAT32 file system itself.

In worst case, as has been recommended you can just "start over" by reformatting the J3 to empty (using either the GuiFormat program, or the SD Formatter, accepting the default values for both programs). On the next boot of the J3 the firmware will recreate the required folders/files and you should be back in business.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help. I will try checking the disk. If I copy all the files over to my pc before I format it, will the files retain the error? Or is it only the file system that is corrupt? Thanks again.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 PM

Default Formatting worked.

I ended up having to format the drive, but it did work! Thank you for your help, it was greatly appreciated.

Tags
browser, folder structure, glitch, j3