android
Old 12-28-2012, 05:58 PM

Default Check my thinking here

I am looking for some new travel headphones. They don't need to be small, just have a fairly short cable length (or the option for one), and ideally a travel case of some kind. They will be used primarily on airplanes with a Sony MP3 player.

I currently use RE0s or Sennheiser 201s. I am moving away from IEMs because the RE0s never stay in, and conduct static electricity into my ear when I walk with them on. The sound quality is also worse than the 201s, which is telling since the 201s cost me $12 and the RE0s cost me $90.

After doing some research I have settled on the HD 449s for this purpose. I want circumaural but a closed design with as much noise isolation as possible, but without active noise-cancelling. The isolation on the HD 201s is more than sufficient, but I hate the long cord. Also looking to step up in sound quality.

Anything better than the HD 449s for this purpose? Price range is around $100.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There are tons of great options under $100. A few with detachable cables. And if the cable is the o my thing holding you back we have a member named syndrome who will rec able them for you at a reasonable cost. So what kind of sound do you like? Balanced, detailed, bass heavy?

Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Detailed but balanced. Sparkly highs and deep lows, but I don't need above average bass, with the feeling of a huge soundstage. I posted another thread about headphones for home use, and I currently have HD 485s there. I consider them to be excellent all-around sounding headphones. If they isolated out the sound of airplane engines, I would find a shorter cable and use them. I realize sound won't be as good on closed-style headphones, but looking for the best I can get in the price range.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Incase Sonics,...I got mine for $50. The sq is excellent for the price. And they go with portable OR home usage.