android
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 PM

Default Choice of CD drive for ripping music

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on building a new computer sometime. Being one of the few people who still buys CDs, I was wondering if the choice of optical drive will make a difference when it comes to ripping (using EAC). Are there any models out there that people would recommend for this purpose?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Administrator

There's going to be some with strong opinions about different drives but I've never found it made a difference to the quality of my rips. I've have a Sony - DVD RW DW-G120A I picked up for around $20 after I found it on the AccurateRip accuracy list http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...racy-List-2011.

I've used at least a dozen others it other peoples system sand haven't found it to make much difference to the accuracy of the rip. Some have been faster or slower. Some have been a lot noisier than others which made them unsuitable for playback but they worked fine for ripping.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

in my experience the software matters more. if you set it for high quality, error correction, etc it will take longer on a crappy drive, but it will come out the same.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM

I'm with IDvsEGO on this one, I've used all sorts of crappy drives for ripping music and with good software it turns out fine in the end. Besides if your building a new computer (presumably from new parts) any drive that you pick up now will be just fine.

Headphones:Philips SHS5200, Phillips SHQ1000/28, Sentry FatBoy HO865, Motorola S305 BT,

Old 10-06-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El C View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on building a new computer sometime. Being one of the few people who still buys CDs, I was wondering if the choice of optical drive will make a difference when it comes to ripping (using EAC). Are there any models out there that people would recommend for this purpose?

Thanks!
I've heard a lot of people like those Plextor drives for ripping. I get by fine with the factory-installed Matshita one on my PC.

EDIT: Crap, just noticed this thread was from 2012.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
EDIT: Crap, just noticed this thread was from 2012.
Welcome to 2013!