android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Off Topic > Random Chat

Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM

Default Sales of e-readers plunge as tablets take over

http://www.gazette.com/articles/tabl...-york-new.html

Have you got an ereader? Or do you use a tablet or phone instead?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-12-2012, 03:30 PM

I would like to have an e-reader, for the purpose of reading long documents - LCD screens tire my eyes after longer reading sessions. Thanks for sharing the article, seems to be bad news for me. :/

Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Personally, I think it just a matter of reducing the price of e-readers. An ereader at $120/$130 doesn't seem appealing when for a little more you can get pretty much a high end 7" tablet. There's also the fact that a lot of people don't really understand e-ink displays or even about displays in general. I think for e-inks to survive it would just be a matter of lowering the price. The Geramn company Txtr announced a $13 e-ink e-reader. Sure it doesn't have wifi, a touch screen and runs on AAA batteries but I don't see why you would need a e reader with higher specs.

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2012...-13-from-txtr/

There was also the Kobo mini (with a touchscreen and wifi) in Canada that went for $50 in Canada a couple of weeks ago. I don't see why in the next year or two other companies can't produce e-ink readers under $50.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/06/kobo-mini-review/

Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Damn. I would have been all over that Txtr if it wasn't for bluetooth.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 AM

Txtr sounds interesting - I just wish I could send files from my lappy through bluetooth too - then it would be the most useful thing in the world for me! Sounds like it fits my needs perfectly, since it also reads PDF files.

Last edited by Urne; 12-13-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I take my Sony PRS-650 to more places then I do my Evo View. However the e-reader I have right now is the best for me at the moment. I don't see myself going out to buy a new one or even see myself getting hyped up over any kind of new e-reader period. A new Tablet though? Yes, I can see myself maybe even buying an iPad mini in the future. So that would in a sense explain this whole phenomena.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Contributing Editor

E-Reader prices need to come way down in order to not die on the vine. I'm not saying they are currently overpriced, but even at $80 for a new Nook or Kindle, that's not cheap (in this economy especially). Especially when you can swing a Nook tablet, Kindle tablet, or an Android tablet for $130+ that does 10x more than an e-reader when you start comparing features per dollar.

I love my Nook, and had no problem spending $120 on the Simple Touch, but these need to be sub $50 from here on out.

The books on the other hand are still extremely overpriced.