android
Old 12-10-2012, 07:26 PM

Default Question about Samsung Galaxy S3

I hope someone can answer this
I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S3 64Gb black for christmas

But when i going to test it ask me to select language (or region?)

I then remember that stupid EU regulation that some brands apply to by limiting the sound output
this fortunaly could be bypassed in Cowon mp3 players by selecting USA as region.

Is this the case with Samsung Galaxy S3 too?
Should i Select USA-english?

Also would selecting USA-english over UK-english give some problems on phone network if i am not in usa?
or does this selection only has to do with menu text and keyboard and not sound or network?
Btw, what the difference between USA keyboard and UK keyboard anyway?

Leberium...or someone

OH, And where can i download the official Jelly bean from Samsung
i dont want it from any unsafe site with spyware etc...

But since is out...or is being rolled out now....i could just upgrade my new phone before installing something
i guess is more complicated (has to format?) after i install a bunch of stuff to upgrade

Last edited by Zyroth; 12-10-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I think the language region thing is only for how it displays dates, currency, how it spells certain things, if it uses Fahrenheit or Celsius, meters or feet and so forth.

As for volume limiting, havn't had a problem myself, but it will greatly depend on your headphones. I mostly use my Sennheiser MM450's over bluetooth or wired and my AiAiAi TMA-1's. Volume can't get to headphone damaging levels, but occasionally something in my pockets will push the volume up button and I'll need to take my headphones off, quickly.

I got Jelly Bean for my Galaxy S III OTA, and I was in USA at the time, and had my phone set to the Finnish region. Unfortunately now it tells me my phone has been modified and I can't get anymore updates Which seems to be a bit of a bug, that can be reset by doing a factory reset. Although I suspect that it might also just be due to there not being another upgrade to get atm. Havn't rooted my phone, as I see no advantage in doing that with my GSIII, all the "Bloat ware" can be disabled/hidden away, and even uninstalled. Plus I like using some of the GSIII features with other GSIII users, as there are already quite a few

As for the keyboard, you can easily set a number of languages that you can easily swap on the go, by swiping on the space bar. This also changes the spell checker/predition language accordingly. I have Finnish and English, and its way better then having an "all in one" keyboard.

Oh and I'm sure there's a way to change your language/region at any given time, I mean there's always the factory reset option on a stock rom.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM

OK then I guess i Select UK-english as language
But not quite sure what to do with Jelly bean update...should i wait until is rolled out all europe?

Thing is i probaly start heavy using the phone from end of desember and i wont install too many things before updates incase it force me factory reset.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Eh, if you want Google Now then getting Jelly Bean is worth it, but for me I havn't really noticed an improvement. I just upgrade whenever I get a message that I can do so, don't go out of my way to find them.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 AM

Yea but dont you have to format and all Apps you installed is removed
when you update?, thats why i though of getting the update early now when i just got the phone so i can update before installing the stuff and dont worry about update for a while.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh no, nothing gets wiped. Although some home screen stuff may need to be refreshed, or redone. I don't use the touchwiz home screen, and after I updated to Jelly Bean some app links and settings links I needed to redo.

If you install a custom rom, then you will most likely need to do a full wipe, and reinstall everything again.