android
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM

Default Bummed - Need a new MP3 player

I dropped my Sansa e240 tonight and I think it's finally dead. Yes, I know it's an old MP3 player but I'm attached to it. Been wanting to upgrade for over a year but never did. It's over six years old and had almost every day use for at least an hour. This thing was strong and I've always been in love with it. I accidentally hit the headphones when I was running with it and it flew out of my hand to flip three times on the concrete. The scrollwheel comes on but no screen, no click to show boot up, computer won't recognize it, etc.

Believe it or not I'm pretty picky with MP3 players. This one suited me even though I know now there are way more advanced ones out there that would be good. I don't have much of a budget, though, and am discouraged. I was also wanting something to read ebooks but as far as I can tell browsing the forums tonight, it doesn't look like there is a good quality Mp3 player that is a decent ereader. How discouraging.

I need something I can be physically active with

I need a decent screen, I cant stand nonexistent or finger sized screens

Expandable storage is a huge plus if possible. If it doesn't have expendable memory it needs plenty of room, which would probably be outside my budget range. Looking for under $200

I'm not much of a touch screen person but can deal with it if need be

Id love something I can read ebooks with, but doubt its out there??

I like playlists and seeing album art. My beloved Sansa was rockboxed and that was awesome. I don't have to have another one that can be rockboxed honestly, as long as it does great things like some of the rockboxed does.

I'd love to save money and not have to get a separate ereader, but I don't want to run around with a tablet if its fragile and because of that Ive never bought an HD type MP3 player, only used flashed. I don't get creative players because of two bad experiences with them.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Last edited by JCFantasy23; 12-06-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM

How fragile are HD players? I used my MP3 player to do daily walks/jogging. Can they do this?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How about a Sandisk Fuze? The original Fuze, not the Fuze+.

Another option is the Cowon C2(around $145 for a 16GB one)The C2 has a microSDHC card slot. If you can do without a card slot, the Sony E465 16GB is a poular choice.

I guess some will suggest a Samsung Galaxy player 4.2. It has a microSDHC card slot, as well as wifi, gps, and bluetooth. It is $200

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-YP-GI1...axy+player+4.2

Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Samsung Galaxy players seem to be quite popular. They are Android based, and any Android device should be usable as an eBook reader. Obviously the size of the screen vs your eyesight is the problem. We just got a Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone and I have added Kindle and an ePub reader to it. I use glasses and find it usable, but I would probably want to increase the font size if I got serious about reading on it, which I haven't tried yet.

For runners, the most recommended player is one of the Sansa Clips. The original Clip (if you can find one) or the Clip+ or Clip Zip are inexpensive, and work well. All can be Rockbox'd and the Zip shows album art.

JK98...are you saying that the Fuze and the C2 can be used as eBook readers?

Steve

Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think the C2 has a basic text reader, not an e-book reader. One needs a larger screen anyway for an ebook reader.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 PM

If the ereader part is not possible, that's fine.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I think the C2 has a basic text reader, not an e-book reader. One needs a larger screen anyway for an ebook reader.
I used to read sometimes on my 4th gen Touch...and that was a 3.5" screen.

I recently discovered that my e-reader was dead, so when I get my Samsung Galaxy 5.0 back, which will be sometime in the next few days(hopefully) I plan to install the Aldiko app on it and read with that. That screen is easily big enough to read with.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Sansa E240? I know of a sansa E250, M240 or C240 but not a E240. I'm guessing since you mentioned a scroll wheel it's a E series. If that' the case I'd check to see if the daughter card came loose during the fall.

After you take the back off by removing the 4 screws you see a black, square component. Press firmly on that to see if it clicks back into place. If it does try booting the player. I've brought several back that way. It's less likely but there's a chance the battery loosened during the fall. I'd make sure that's in place.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 AM

The Fuze+ is good with Rockbox and will give you a relatively big screen for album art and books. Has all the other things you want, microSD, Rockbox, works good for exercise as long as you remember to use the hold button. The controls can be a turnoff. It's far from perfect but it's the only player being made right now under $100 that does all those things.

Honestly though, if I had the funds, I'd have gotten the Samsung Galaxy player. I don't remember which particular model, but it was $150 at Best Buy a couple weeks ago.

Have you thought about another E-series Sansa though? I see them on ebay new in the box all the time and occasionally on the Sandisk outlet store website.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 AM

Sansa clip series for sports. Nothing else (besides the similar size apple players) comes close. Forget the ereading, anything large enough to comfortably read on is useless as a jogging companion. The heavy / large player bounce around and are generally annoying Hard drive players weigh too much.

You can get a separate black and white ereader or a phone or tablet that will work in that role.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Sansa E240? I know of a sansa E250, M240 or C240 but not a E240. I'm guessing since you mentioned a scroll wheel it's a E series. If that' the case I'd check to see if the daughter card came loose during the fall.

After you take the back off by removing the 4 screws you see a black, square component. Press firmly on that to see if it clicks back into place. If it does try booting the player. I've brought several back that way. It's less likely but there's a chance the battery loosened during the fall. I'd make sure that's in place.
Thanks for this, will try. The scroll wheel comes on when you press the power button and it will power off. It had 4 gb. I dont hear the click when its powering on to show its booting up and screen stays black but at least it does something I guess (the scrollwheel) I will try what you say.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. They all sound like good players. Still not sure on the exact right one but I will keep looking into the ones listed. I appreciate the help.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM

you could easily buy both a kindle and a sansa clip zip and a micro sd card for under $200 and still be under budget