android
Old 11-30-2012, 02:33 PM

Default NYC and crime

NYC has a reputation for crime. Is it deserved? I realize it's partly because NYC is so big and a media capital. Of course there will be crime in a city that big. Here are two stories I saw in the news recently.

Oct 25, 2012: NYPD officer accused of plotting to kidnap, cook women
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ap-cook-women/

"A city police officer was charged Thursday in a ghoulish plot to kidnap and torture women and then cook and eat their body parts. Gilberto Valle sent numerous emails and other Internet communications about the torture and cannibalism scheme, according to a criminal complaint. He identified and catalogued at least 100 women on his computer, investigators said, but there was no information that anyone was harmed..."

Nov 28, 2012: No Person Got Shot, Stabbed, Slashed, or Murdered in NYC Monday
http://news.yahoo.com/no-person-got-...153318577.html

"It may be a small or, rather, nonexistent number, but it's a heartening statistic: there were no shootings, stabbings, slashings, or murders in New York City between around 10:30 p.m. Sunday night and 11:20 a.m. Tuesday morning, the NYPD said, according to NY1. Police can't remember the last time that happened. "

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

"NEW YORK CITY went a day without a murder on Monday, which according to police was the first time anyone could remember that happening. Overall, the city's murder rate this year is down 23%, reaching levels last seen in 1960. This is a milestone in the 20-year-long decline of violent crime in the Big Apple. "

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ.../2012/11/crime

I think the reputation dates back to the 80s and early 90s. These days NYC isn't bad at all.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The murder rate(per 100,000 population) for NYC was 6.4 in 2010. In New Orleans it was 72.8, more than 11X as high! The murder rate in Detroit is more than 5x as high as NYC. NYC also had a small robbery rate for a major city at 235(per 100K) compared to 746 for Cleveland. NYC had low rates for other crimes as well. I was surprised at how low the rates were for NYC. NYC did have much higher crime rates in the 70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For the past few months NYC has been hit with some rough shit. I think we might be helping each other more than hurting right now. Even the thugs are doing the right thing,...it's just how it is.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:04 PM

How is life in the big apple post sandy TDS?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Where I live it's decent, still power lines down. And the train tracks are being rebuilt in the areas of NYC where they were destroyed. Otherwise it's pretty much business as usual.

Oh, and the homes that have been destroyed are still in a sections that look like blast zones.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 AM

Damn that's rough. I would have thought that all the powerlines would be back up by now, but I guess it'll take a while to rebuild the stuff that was completely destroyed. I'm glad you and yours made it out OK though.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, most power is restored. The thing is there's still power lines hanging down to the ground all over the place, including where I live.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The murder rate(per 100,000 population) for NYC was 6.4 in 2010. In New Orleans it was 72.8, more than 11X as high! The murder rate in Detroit is more than 5x as high as NYC. NYC also had a small robbery rate for a major city at 235(per 100K) compared to 746 for Cleveland. NYC had low rates for other crimes as well. I was surprised at how low the rates were for NYC. NYC did have much higher crime rates in the 70s.
Thanks for the facts. Makes NYC seem safer than it's reputation. But then NYC crimes like this make the national news and I rarely hear about them in Detroit or New Orleans:

Manhunt for NYC Subway Pusher
http://gma.yahoo.com/manhunt-nyc-sub...opstories.html

"Police in New York City are searching for a suspect who hurled a man onto the subway track where a train struck and killed him."

Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey, NYC isn't perfect. We have a ton of nut jobs!!! They seem to gravitate towards us,...