android
  #1  
Old 12-02-2012, 04:16 PM
goldenkidd goldenkidd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Default help decide betwwen this otpions please

Budget: $45-65 dollars

Category: What type;, in-ear monitor (IEM), earbuds, butits an open option

Primary location of use: portable use, heavy daily use listening musci in cellphone
Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: balanced sound, boomy bass heavy lows, rich across the sound spectrum
Media: electronic music and rock(mostly); to be honest i hear many kinds of music
Source
samsung galaxy s2

these are my option:
-Sennheiser PX 100-II
-Sennheiser HD 202 II
-Etymotic mc5(look like a nice audio driver and kevlar cable).
-Brainwavz R1(two drivers )
Audio-Technica ATH-M30

Last edited by goldenkidd; 12-04-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: edit to add and delete some options
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 12-02-2012, 04:57 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

Um, where are you from. I'm reading what you posted and it's all a big confused mess. And you NEED to decide on if you want on ear, over the ear, in ear, open or closed, etc. It matters if you want help.

Also, what price range? And what the heck is "music keys"? You really aren't making ant sense here,...
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

I think what TDS was referring to this. That said, I read you mentioned the SP51-BK, IMHO the two best sounding from MEE are the A161P & the A151. The A151s are currently on sale via BB for $49.98, here.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 PM
IDvsEGO's Avatar
IDvsEGO IDvsEGO is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,751
Default

You didn't list it as an option but the soundmagic e10 fits the bill well. The ety does not fit what you described. Of what you listed, probably the JVC blacks.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:14 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,043
Default

Didn't he say he wants strong bass? If so, a balanced armature IEM wouldn't be a good idea. I am very impressed with the JVC HA-FX101 IEM. It is a great improvement over the HA-FX1X both in terms of sound quality and fit. For under $20 the HA-FX101 is a great buy. It has strong bass, but also good clarity.

Imo the Portapro is very overpriced. The Sportapro sounds the same as the Portapro but is around half the price. For $50 the Sennheiser PX100II sounds much better than the Portapro. The PX100 has around the same amount of bass of the Portapro, however the PX100II has better controlled bass, and better treble and clarity. If you are okay with an average amount of bass, the JVC HA-S160($12 wih free US shipping at B&H) is imo the best compact headphone under $40. While the HA-S160 is closed, its isolation isn't so great due to its small size.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ar_Stereo.html
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
the JVC HA-S160($12 wih free US shipping at B&H) is imo the best compact headphone under $40.
The HA-S400 is likely much better than the HA-S160 if my HA-S500 is any indication....and it's inexpensive too.(under $30)
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAS400B-Na...ywords=HA-S400
I'd pick one up myself if I wasn't so broke....but it will be on my short-list if I get giftcards for X-mas.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:39 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

I doubt he's even going to post again, considering his last post before this was in 2008!

PS: I'd go with some JVC's myself, as they tend to have excellent sq. And when they say they have bass, they tend to deliver.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The HA-S400 is likely much better than the HA-S160 if my HA-S500 is any indication....and it's inexpensive too.(under $30)
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAS400B-Na...ywords=HA-S400
I'd pick one up myself if I wasn't so broke....but it will be on my short-list if I get giftcards for X-mas.
Okay, so the HA-S160 is the best headphone under $25. If the HA-S400 is like the HA-FX40 IEMs though then it might be too bright for use with music with plenty of treble. I love the HA-FX40 IEM for treble deficient music, but when playing music with plenty of treble it is too much. Yes, I could reduce it with the equilizer, however I try to avoid doing that.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:38 PM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Imo the Portapro is very overpriced. The Sportapro sounds the same as the Portapro but is around half the price.
That's not my ears tell me. The Sportapro sound similar but not the same as the Portapro to me. The bass quantity and quality is enough for me to prefer the Portapro and be willing to pay the additional to have those.

I believe part of the difference is the semi closed nature of the Sportapro. The backer cup seems to close things in just enough that some of the clarity that's present in the Portapro just isn't there. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference in an out and about situations for me. If I use them for quiet, at home listening the difference is fairly obvious.

I agree that if you pay MSRP for the Portapro they could be considered overpriced. I've seen them on sale around $35. I got mine for less than $30 by being patient and being ready to jump on a sale as soon as the price dropped. At that price I think they're worth having.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
That's not my ears tell me. The Sportapro sound similar but not the same as the Portapro to me. The bass quantity and quality is enough for me to prefer the Portapro and be willing to pay the additional to have those.

I believe part of the difference is the semi closed nature of the Sportapro. The backer cup seems to close things in just enough that some of the clarity that's present in the Portapro just isn't there. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference in an out and about situations for me. If I use them for quiet, at home listening the difference is fairly obvious.

I agree that if you pay MSRP for the Portapro they could be considered overpriced. I've seen them on sale around $35. I got mine for less than $30 by being patient and being ready to jump on a sale as soon as the price dropped. At that price I think they're worth having.
To me the Sportapro and Portapro sound exactly the same. That goes for the ones I have, which were made over 10 years ago. Perhaps they might have changed them somewhat since then?

For $30 I guess the Portapro is okay, but since the PX100II is only $50, imo the PX100II is the better choice.

For those who want a bright headphone though, the JVC HA-S400 for around $30 seems promising. I don't have it yet, but have the HA-FX40 IEM which is said to sound similar.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 AM
singha singha is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Default

I can only comment on the R1 and MC5. The R1s are dual dynamics that are incredibly lively with a v shaped sound signature. Thus, they have great treble and bass but are by no means balanced. They would be amazing for your electronic music. They go on sale all the time for around $30.

The MC5 will have a more balanced sound but will not have the boomy bass you request. If you want to go for a balanced sound, you may want to try the Re-O as well. The clarity on both are superb. Boomy bass tends to result in a loss of clarity.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 AM
goldenkidd goldenkidd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I doubt he's even going to post again, considering his last post before this was in 2008!

PS: I'd go with some JVC's myself, as they tend to have excellent sq. And when they say they have bass, they tend to deliver.
not true ; its just i had not made any "big" invest in sound, except maybe my plantronics 780 but those are more a gamer thing than sound so i dont ask for help here; although im always reading this forum(im just a newbie about sound things). In 2008 i bought my sansa and it was amazing until i found mp3 dont have a built in swim skill(i let it fall into water by mistake) .

i still had not decided what to buy but its going to be from amazon or maybe best buy(im not from usa so i have to import = more money to pay, delay time etcetc, thats the reason my budget mainly).


i found that my cellphone(samsung galaxy 2) have a high impendacy output :
http://droidtricks.blogspot.com/2011...-earphone.html check last post . so IF this truth i guess its better to get a high impedance headphones to have better sound(please fell free to correct me if im wrong or if this its not true).

Also yeah i prefer big bass so thats why this: http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX700-Pr...ds=jvc+HA-S700 , are the best option rigth now but i can change my decision if i found a better option in quality/price.Maybe i can get this :http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E3-Headph...hone+amplifier ( no mather what headphones i get, this its the only option for my budget now)

btw, those seinheiser looks really good and im really doubting about those or the jvc i linked, the additional $15 in the senheiser really worht it(talking about sound quality and overal quality )?
pd: sorry for the wall of text , i try to cover all the post and thanks for help and opinions

Last edited by goldenkidd; 12-04-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: many typos
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

Oh, the headphone you linked to is kinda yuk in the sound quality dept. get the Sennheiser HD 202 II instead. It's much better in the value & sq area: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-.../dp/B003LPTAYI
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
goldenkidd goldenkidd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Oh, the headphone you linked to is kinda yuk in the sound quality dept. get the Sennheiser HD 202 II instead. It's much better in the value & sq area: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-.../dp/B003LPTAYI
i made a huge search about those one and the general consensus was that his sound had a huge bass,a good quality sound and a good construction(so that means good longevity i dont want to deal with returns and warranty things, been there done that, tired and dont want to deal with it again) , could you please go deep about why exactly you think that about the jvc`s and why you think the seinheiser would be better(surprise me a litle bit) .
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 AM
IDvsEGO's Avatar
IDvsEGO IDvsEGO is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,751
Default

just a footnote...you will never get a consensus. every headphone has its fans and haters (not calling TDS a hater, just a general statement). So eventually you just have to take the plunge and try some out.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM
goldenkidd goldenkidd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
just a footnote...you will never get a consensus. every headphone has its fans and haters (not calling TDS a hater, just a general statement). So eventually you just have to take the plunge and try some out.
i always try(its really hard sometimes) to make difrences between personal opinions, personal taste`s(some people like more bass, some people like more bright ,etc) and fact(more output more Frequency Range , etc)
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

I've used both headphones, and the sennheiser HD 202 II has the better sq, and it's built good enough to last. That jvc headphone has the lesser sq, and the plastic is known to break in it.

Simple as that,...since I've owned both.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 AM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenkidd View Post
i always try(its really hard sometimes) to make difrences between personal opinions, personal taste`s(some people like more bass, some people like more bright ,etc) and fact(more output more Frequency Range , etc)
It also depends on what you are playing. For example, the JVC HA-FX40 IEM sounds great with treble deficient material since it gives extra treble, but on treble rich material it is too much. Using the equilizer to compensate doesn't really do it.

Are you looking for a compact portable headphone or something large? The JVC HA-RX700 is rather large. Are you looking for a closed or open headphone? A closed headphone will block much of the sound around you, which could be good or bad depending on the circumstances.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.