android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa View

Old 09-12-2011, 08:36 AM

The Sansa e280 has full functionality when used independently of the computer. When plugged into the computer and started normally through the USB the computer does not see it at all. It does not show up in Device Manager or anywhere else. The firmware update does not detect it. I have switched back and forth in the USB modes. It does charge through the USB cable but that is all. I have tried other cables with it.
The only way the computer does anything is using the method described ie, locking, holding the center button and plugging in the cable. Device manager "sees" it with an error message attached ie that Tango message.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
BTW, I have tried these things on win7 ultimate, professional, xp and vista. I am using the latest version Media player.

Last edited by koddey; 09-12-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 AM

That's gotta be a driver thing. The default mode of these players (far as I understand, having like, been the first guy on the internet to unbrick a View, and all) is a goofy mode called MTP, Media Transfer Protocol if I remember correctly. Only Windows Media Player can work with it, and it comes up in Device Manager under "Media devices" instead of "Disk Drives" (check for yourself!). That's where the Settings menu comes in, and checking for the MSC (Mass Storage Controller) option. Or check for an e280 firmware update that enables it - SanDisk heard a crapload of bitchin' when they first release players that only worked as MTP devices

edit:
wate. Dammit, now I'm starting to understand how people skim posts so easily. F**k 8:30am. OK, well, being as though it is 8:30am and I've gotta be on the road at 8:45am, I'd better get rolling... I'll pick this up in a few hours

Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Can you reupload the .7z file please? It's giving a "Corrupted Content" error.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosein78 View Post
Can you reupload the .7z file please? It's giving a "Corrupted Content" error.
The file seems to be OK. I've just downloaded and opened it in two browsers and extracted it successfully using both 7Zip and Peazip. What tool are you using to extract the file?

Also some browsers and download managers have problems some files. You may want to try with another download setup if the file isn't being downloaded properly.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:11 AM

Hi! My Sansa e280 recently got the blue ring of death and I tried out your ViewTool to fix it. Everything goes well until the erasing part. I held down the play/pause button the entire time I went through each procedure and the erasing message never came up. (My OS is Windows XP, by the way.)

As a result, this happened:

So what did I do wrong? Was I not supposed to press down the play/pause button until the Press Any Key prompt came up? Or did I Press Any Key too soon at some point? How long should I be holding the play/pause button down? What else should I do to get my display screen back?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:50 AM

VIEWtool is for the Sansa VIEW, not for the e280. It's BASED on the e200tool, but is designed for the View instead.

Can't understand where you got the idea that you should try using Viewtool to unbrick your e280 when there's an e200tool that's designed for your player... *scratches head*... I think the biggest confusion is why you didn't even acknowledge that you're using an e280 with Viewtool. *scratches head again*

edit: In fact, I don't even see anywhere on that screenshot you posted, where it says to hold "play/pause"... I see "hold HOME", but not play/pause... if you don't have the buttons it's talking about in the program, what didn't click in your head that said "this must be the wrong program!"...?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The file seems to be OK. I've just downloaded and opened it in two browsers and extracted it successfully using both 7Zip and Peazip. What tool are you using to extract the file?

Also some browsers and download managers have problems some files. You may want to try with another download setup if the file isn't being downloaded properly.
Don't know why, but this is the page that comes when I follow the link:

But anyway, that's no problem; I got it fine through a proxy.
Now, after the 5 firmware files are copied onto the 16MB FORMAT drive, I disconnect it, it writes the files fine, but when my View restarts it goes back to "Tango" mode again. Before, I had an idea to try to "boot" the View from a MicroSD card and it worked partially; I could transfer music on to the SD card and play iton the View, but sometimes the View would randomly restart and go back to tango mode or not detect the files on the SD card (the homescreen didn't show any icons and if I tried to scroll it'd go back to Tango mode. If I pressed select and go into the music section, it said there weren't any songs on the View.) Also, transferring files on to the View would be nearly impossible because everytime I started a Synch or drag n drop, it would stop after a few files and say the drive has an I/O error or something like that. Any advice or help would be appreciated

Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM

Probably a cache problem. Maybe Shift+F5 would do it.

As for the Tango problem, there's a couple of things. One, 16MB-FORMAT is a RAM drive, not a real "drive". It's all emulated, as a way to get files into the system. It then reads those files (from RAM) and applies them to an *already formatted* Flash area, with *no* error detection or reporting. The View will never report if a flash failed - it just goes "urrp dee doo, durp dee hurr, write write write", and hopes it completes successfully. That's why you have to boot into the recovery mode and perform a manual Erase, to get the flash partitioned properly. That is, if your flash is working to begin with!

With the I/O problems you're talking about (and I'd LOVE to know how the hell you managed to boot your View from the MicroSD - I tried making that work for hours!), it seems entirely likely that your internal Flash chip/board came unplugged from the board... for one, a View won't brick itself on its own (without screwing something up using USB-MSC mode), so if yours "just quit working", it's almost certainly a connector problem inside - it's not actually screwed down to anything at all inside. Just get the thing open (one screw under a cover on the bottom, rest are snaps around the edges), take out the main PCB (a couple screws around the edges), and snap the Flash board back on.

The Flash board uses a SD controller to make the "chip" appear to be an SD card to the View, so it essentially has 2 SD cards. Maybe the fact that your main SD chip is unplugged, caused it to "fall back" to the MicroSD card and boot off that instead. But when the OS booted, it tried to go back and use the "main" SD card (which wasn't attached) and that caused the I/O errors.

Definitely take that sucker apart and check that Flash chip!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:53 PM

OK I'll try that and hope for the best. As for the booting from MicroSD card, I don't completely recall exactly what I did. Firstly, I formatted the SD card, then I put the firmware files from version 01.03.02f into it (I may have included the VERSION.txt file from the 16 MB FORMAT drive, but I'm not sure). I made the battery of the View completely drain, reset it, inserted the SD card, and plugged it into my PC.The (if I remember correctly) it refreshed it's database, I went into MSC mode, put the firmware files into the root directory and unplugged the View, and it said something along the lines of "Installing firmware" and it worked partially okay after that, but with all the problems I described in my last post. I'm trying to go back to booting from MicroSD but it's not going as well as I'd like. Tell me if you figure it out

EDIT: No luck Is there a way to make the View completely boot from a MicroSD card without accessing the flash chip at all? I think it's been dropped once too many times and it has hardware problems.

Last edited by hosein78; 10-16-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:44 PM

Default Thank You

I had some trouble because it got stuck on LUN0 unlocking. I just had to give it an "Eject" from my computer.

Also, I had to use Google Chrome to download the archive, because Mozilla gave me a "corrupted file" error.

I couldn't be happier. I shall drink to your health :)

Seriously, if I can help you with something, I will try.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 PM

Link is broken pl;ease fix

Old 10-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Updated the link since apparently it got dumped from Hostfile for inactivity. It's on my Dropbox now and it should now be active for life...

Old 10-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Thanks for posting your fix again. Thought you had abandoned us. Good to see you're still helping others.

I've had a couple of friends that were really disappointed they couldn't re-up their Views. I'll check in with them and let them know they should be able to get them running again. Hope they didn't get rid of them.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM

Well, considering as though the only notice I've seen on the matter is this brain-dead response from a nobody with 1 post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiequz View Post
Link is broken pl;ease fix
I didn't take it seriously because I ran the site it was hosted on - and it was always there :P But when someone actually took the time to email me today, I finally knew it was a problem!

Grammar does matter.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM

Hi, I'm trying to unbrick a Sansa e200v1 I have laying around for a while.
I followed the instructions, got the drivers manually installed:

but I'm getting an error running One-Click UnBrick: "Missing file 1.2.09a\bitmap.dat"
The file is there, and I have adm rights, so it must be something else, I'm stuck.

I've tried all the options while plugging the player on the computer and it does not do anything other than the blue ring of death.
(Pressing REC, middle bottom or play)
No HD shows up in windows explorer, windows 7 tried to install it once, failed and doesn't recognize it anymore.

*Edit* Tried to install the drives on another computer running XP and it doesn't accept it. (?)

Also, how can I find Firmware version v01.02.09a?
The Sansa site only offers the latest (e200v101.02.24a), shouldn't that work?

What am I doing wrong, please?

Last edited by CoachMcGuirk; 02-11-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

This thread and tools aren't for the e200v1.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM

Duh, my bad, I have a view too and got confused having the names mixed up.
I should uninstall and do it again.
Hopefully there's a tool for e200v1.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Administrator

The last time I recovered a v1 E200 I used the guide here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=11233 If that doesn't work then you can try the guide you'll find here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=31275

Here's hoping the directions in the first link work. If you can get into recovery mode that's the way to go. My experience has been if you have to try to access manufacturing mode the chance of recovery are lower.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I burned my brains getting the instructions for both players mixed up. (e200 and view)
Pressing REC while plugging doesn't show the 16 MB partition, so Recovery Mode is a no-go.

May I ask you something about booting from the Linux Live CD?
Is it going to install Linux on my HD or it runs only from the CD?(Linux total newbie here.)

Old 02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Administrator

A live CD runs Linux directly from the CD. There's no installation to your hard drive. It's runs somewhat slower than if it were installed on a partition on the HDD but that shouldn't be an issue in this case.