android
Old 11-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Default Having trouble finding something that fits my needs

My original Sansa Fuze kicked the bucket about a year ago and I can't find anything that I like.

My needs are: customizable EQ, bigger physical size, large storage capacity (at least 8 GB), memory card slot, preferably ability to Rockbox.

I had a ClipZip and it was OK, but too small and build quality felt terrible. Volume button broke on that after a few months. I had an 8 GB Walkman but hated it, the buttons felt clicky and hard to find in the dark.

Right now I'm looking at the Fuze+, it would seem to fit my needs perfectly but I hear people have a lot of problems with the touchpad. Nothing else seems to fulfill my requirements. I am also looking at the Philips GoGear Vibe and Ariaz. I also like the Archos 30C but I see a lot of bad reviews.

Should I even bother continuing to look in the sub-$100 range, or should I just be patient and save up for an Android device (I do like the Samsung Galaxy quite a bit.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 PM

The Fuze+ isn't too well liked around here (or anywhere else for that matter), even with Rockbox. Why don't you see if you can find another (original) Fuze?

Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Or get an iPod video (5.5G) and Rockbox that sucker!!!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
My original Sansa Fuze kicked the bucket about a year ago and I can't find anything that I like.

My needs are: customizable EQ, bigger physical size, large storage capacity (at least 8 GB), memory card slot, preferably ability to Rockbox.

I had a ClipZip and it was OK, but too small and build quality felt terrible. Volume button broke on that after a few months. I had an 8 GB Walkman but hated it, the buttons felt clicky and hard to find in the dark.

Right now I'm looking at the Fuze+, it would seem to fit my needs perfectly but I hear people have a lot of problems with the touchpad. Nothing else seems to fulfill my requirements. I am also looking at the Philips GoGear Vibe and Ariaz. I also like the Archos 30C but I see a lot of bad reviews.

Should I even bother continuing to look in the sub-$100 range, or should I just be patient and save up for an Android device (I do like the Samsung Galaxy quite a bit.)
There are two Galaxy players for sale right here in the forum....

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=71010

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=71053

I've had and enjoyed the 5" model, but either one would be far better than the Fuze+, which is the epitome of suck.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, I forgot about the players for sale in the classifieds section. Good call Marv,...

Old 11-10-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Or get an iPod video (5.5G) and Rockbox that sucker!!!
I did think about that and other used options, but honestly I've had so much bad luck with used stuff in the past I'd rather just spend extra and get something new. It's a shame the Fuze+ is so bad, sounds like other than the control scheme it would be the best player on the market.

I will go check out the classified section though.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 PM

There is a Sansa Fuze for sale here:

http://www.compuvest.us/ProductDetai...oryCode=MP_MP3

If your interested that is.

Headphones:Philips SHS5200, Phillips SHQ1000/28, Sentry FatBoy HO865, Motorola S305 BT,

Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 AM

I ended up getting a Fuze+ because Best Buy had a really good sale, $50 for the 8GB version. I would never want to use it with the original firmware, but with Rockbox it's pretty awesome. In a perfect world it would have the click wheel from the old Fuze but considering all the things it does so well I guess I can't complain.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
I ended up getting a Fuze+ because Best Buy had a really good sale, $50 for the 8GB version. I would never want to use it with the original firmware, but with Rockbox it's pretty awesome. In a perfect world it would have the click wheel from the old Fuze but considering all the things it does so well I guess I can't complain.
As I said in the other forum, I just put the newest RB build on it and it has improved quite a bit. Enough to make it an everyday player? Not yet (for me, anyways).....but it's improved enough that I am actually going to wipe it and reload it with music, and occasionally use it.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
As I said in the other forum, I just put the newest RB build on it and it has improved quite a bit. Enough to make it an everyday player? Not yet (for me, anyways).....but it's improved enough that I am actually going to wipe it and reload it with music, and occasionally use it.
Amazingly Rockbox saved the day!!! If it's that much improved should l consider it again? Just for the heck of it?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Amazingly Rockbox saved the day!!! If it's that much improved should l consider it again? Just for the heck of it?
Well, I still consider it at the bottom of the list of players I own. I'm still going to set it up as a shuffle-only type player...but if nothing else, I'll bring it and use it at work.

So basically, I'd call it less annoying than it was, but still annoying...lol

Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Heh,...pass!!!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Heh,...pass!!!
I'll trade you it for your D2+

Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok,...dems fighting werds!!!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've watched a few youtube videos of a RB fuze+ and to my eyes navigation didn't look all that tricky, perhaps no more annoying than navigating an unintuitive UI such as Cowon i9 or C2.
I mostly create a dynamic playlist in the morning, set it off, skip very occasionally and change volume very seldom, if it can play/pause easily that's pretty important.
If i weren't in love with the sound signature of the cowon BBE players then i would easily have defied the ABI community and bought a Fuze+ lol.

It seems as tho there arn't really any decent reviews for a RB Fuze+ with the latest RB version running...
Xmas coming up I might even buy one for a play around as they are at least very cheap...
I'd be interested in roboturner913's further impressions about it.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I've watched a few youtube videos of a RB fuze+ and to my eyes navigation didn't look all that tricky, perhaps no more annoying than navigating an unintuitive UI such as Cowon i9 or C2.
I mostly create a dynamic playlist in the morning, set it off, skip very occasionally and change volume very seldom, if it can play/pause easily that's pretty important.
If i weren't in love with the sound signature of the cowon BBE players then i would easily have defied the ABI community and bought a Fuze+ lol.

It seems as tho there arn't really any decent reviews for a RB Fuze+ with the latest RB version running...
Xmas coming up I might even buy one for a play around as they are at least very cheap...
Creating that playlist in the morning would likely get you aggravated....but after that perhaps the rest of the day would be tolerable.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh, even the c2 with my customs themes isn't perfect, i have come to accept anything other than RB can be a little painful to build on the go lists... such is life.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Been using it for a couple weeks now and I definitely have a handle on it. I'll post some more detailed thoughts later, but to my mind it's the equal of the old Fuze - better at some things, worse at others but overall on the same level.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The sq should be the same between fuzev2 and the fuze+ so if navigation is on equal footing (rb of course) then surely the fuze+ wins overall as;

a) its usually cheaper than the fuzev2
b) it has a nicer screen no?

Id really like an indepth fuze+ rock boxed review.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The sq should be the same between fuzev2 and the fuze+
Not necessarily....the internals are different. No AMS chip in the Fuze+ http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaFuzePlus
Quote:
so if navigation is on equal footing (rb of course)
It's not.
Quote:
then surely the fuze+ wins overall as;

a) its usually cheaper than the fuzev2
b) it has a nicer screen no?
Nicer screen, yes...I haven't compared prices. I wouldn't call it better than the original though.
Quote:
Id really like an indepth fuze+ rock boxed review.
And so it was done! http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=71209
I followed up the review with my own comments.